Quantcast

since i can't search "5 Spot".....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
can those of you with one post your build, and/or pics of it?

i'm trying to get an idea of just how versatile this frame is.

danke.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
not to insult your intelligence or anything, but if you search for 'turner spot' all kinds of crap comes up.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, crap like "Cuervo/DHR/V10 review" and "Yankee or Dixie"...

i don't really want to fish through 20 threads looking for 5 spot info, especially since i'm on dial-up.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by MMike
Try looking up "GT DHi". Now THAT's annoying...
Just type in "cracked swingarm" and you should be able to read all about it.

And Inbred, do you have any specific questions about the 5 spot?
I built mine up light, more for trailriding, but they can handle a lot more. My bike weighs 27.5
That bike is super effecient though. I ride with guys who have Blurs, Tracers, etc...., and the 5 Spot is the best climbing bike I have been on yet. Alot of people do build them up all burly though, and use them more for the big stuff.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm curious as to how much it can handle. does it have more RFX in its blood, or more XCE? could it handle some tame DH (TX DH), then take on rocky, rooty XC?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by the Inbred
i'm curious as to how much it can handle. does it have more RFX in its blood, or more XCE? could it handle some tame DH (TX DH), then take on rocky, rooty XC?
Rooty, rocky trails is like 100% of what I ride it on.
I am actually faster on this bike than I would be on a XC race bike considering the trails that I ride it on. It likes to ride technical stuff fast.
I had an XCE before it, but it was a size too small and setup for slalom. My 5 spot fits me for trail riding, and its alot better at it than the XCE that I had. I have never owned an RFX, but the geometry on one is very close to the 5 spot.
They way I look at it, it was designed as a tough trail bike and designed around a 5 inch single crown fork.
So, as long as you are not doing huge drops on it, or treating it like its a DH bike, it should be fine.
Now, the RFX on the other hand was meant to take anything that you could throw at it.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Hey Inbred,

Have you talked to Charles about it? He could probably take you on a ride on a 5-spot at City Park or other trails he knows, and you could get first hand experience with it.

D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, i talked to him a little bit. he had a 5 Spot at the shop for a while that he offered to let me ride, but i declined.....refused....'cause it's still a little too early in the game ('cause i'm broke and can't afford to get sucked in).

he also had an Intense 5.5 which got negative reviews from him, Lonnie, and Bear. all for the same reason, too.

J

JRB

yeah, i talked to him a little bit. he had a 5 Spot at the shop for a while that he offered to let me ride, but i declined.....refused....'cause it's still a little too early in the game ('cause i'm broke and can't afford to get sucked in).

he also had an Intense 5.5 which got negative reviews from him, Lonnie, and Bear. all for the same reason, too.
How could Lonnie ride the same bike as Bear and Charles and form any opinion???

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
oh....good question. now i can't remember if he rode it or not. saddle would be up to his chin...i guess i was too busy drooling.

--edit--

ok, i remember lonnie saying the ride of the 5.5 sucked, 'cause i thought he was joking. then bear came in, took it for a spin, and described it as charles did. then he took the 5 Spot out, and i left as he was getting back.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hmmm...that's rather odd. he was talking so highly of that frame. i wonder if it has something to do with the new addition to the family.

J

JRB

hmmm...that's rather odd. he was talking so highly of that frame. i wonder if it has something to do with the new addition to the family.
I would speculate

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA

I am interested in hearing the negative reviews of the 5.5. Care to enlighten me?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by OCDH
I am interested in hearing the negative reviews of the 5.5. Care to enlighten me?
both he, and this guy named theodore (who posts as Bear on Mojo) said that when the rear end compresses, the bike feels like it's collapsing inwards. like the handlebar was being pushing towards the saddle.

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
both he, and this guy named theodore (who posts as Bear on Mojo) said that when the rear end compresses, the bike feels like it's collapsing inwards. like the handlebar was being pushing towards the saddle.
Interesting. From what I understand (and realize I am not a suspension expert), the swingarm travels in an s-type pattern rather than in the traditional straight line pattern. This could be what they are feeling. Or not :)

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
He dumped an X5 within a few weeks of building it too, he says he likes to try different bikes. I got all this from mtbr. His main ride is a Hammerhead 100. I would like to here about his rides on all these bikes.

Charles get a 575 next!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i think he dumped the X5 (6" plates) because it was more than he needed. at least, i thought i heard him say that. plus, he rode that a little. this 5 Spot shows no signs of being ridden.

Lonnie said a 5" Hammerhead was in the works. :p