Quantcast

Since Kona is lame....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Recommend me a frame.

Finally rode a Process111, and it's abso-'effline-lutely perfect, so I tried to buy one. Nope, not a single large in stock anywhere. No problem, all I really wanted is a frame, nope, not for sale.

So, what should I buy?

I'm pretty sure I want a 29er as I'm buying new wheels for mt Transition Bandit and would like to spring for a nice set and then carry them over.

I don't care about a front derailer.

Don't want more than 130-140mm travel in the back, and maybe 140mm up front. It should be slack enough to be comfortable and stable at speed, but will never see more than 1-2ft drops and small jumps, and a trip or two to Snow Summit where I'll definitely be a pvssy and avoid all the big stuff.

Needs to be fun to ride, and put a smile on my face.

Needs to either be inexpensive to buy new, or available used as I want to spend my money on components, not the frame.

The Specialized Camber looks interesting, but it's a Specialized, and the dude does not abide the big S. so I'd have to get a mega-smokin deal on it.

Other options? Tallboy? SB95?

Bonus points if it's available in root-beer, and has moar shimz.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you're going to insist on a 29er the Evil Following looks interesting.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Not really insistent on a 29er, but 26 is pretty much dead, and I currently have a 29er. Doesn't make sense to buy a 27.5 when I can't find a frame I really dig anyhow, and I'd lose my wheels. I can hold off a bit longer on a new wheelset, or buy a cheapie to hold me over, but seeing as how I have no real wheelsize preference, may as well just stick with the 29er, right?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Isn't there a 130 version of the Process?
It's 650b, but that does seem like a pretty obvious call if you liked the 111 so much.

Let's ask this: why are you looking to change from your Bandit?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
It's 650b, but that does seem like a pretty obvious call if you liked the 111 so much.

Let's ask this: why are you looking to change from your Bandit?
Bandit is beat, needs just about everything rebuilt/replaced. Not worth the investment for a bike that's a bit too small for me, frame's a medium, I really should be on a large, but I got a smokin deal, time to hand it over to somebody who needs a cheap bike.

I just closed on a house, and thus money is a bit tight, so I'd like to keep the Bandit going until the fall, maybe score a close out deal on a 2015 at that time. It needs wheels badly, and since the next bike will be a ground up build, it makes sense to buy the wheels for that bike now.

I have not had a chance to ride the Process 134, but the couple people I know who have ridden both that and the 111 on dirt describe them as totally different bikes. Nobody around here stocks crap for "fun" bikes, it's all XC race bikes and Enduro stuff, so its hard to even test ride stuff in the parking lot

The Smuggler is also a potential candidate, but I don't know anybody who's even seen one, much less ridden one..

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just closed on a house, and thus money is a bit tight, so I'd like to keep the Bandit going until the fall, maybe score a close out deal on a 2015 at that time. It needs wheels badly, and since the next bike will be a ground up build, it makes sense to buy the wheels for that bike now.

I have not had a chance to ride the Process 134, but the couple people I know who have ridden both that and the 111 on dirt describe them as totally different bikes. Nobody around here stocks crap for "fun" bikes, it's all XC race bikes and Enduro stuff, so its hard to even test ride stuff in the parking lot
Huh. I haven't ridden any of the Process variants, so I have no comment there. But that's interesting. If you're waiting for the fall, is there not a decent chance that the 111 would be available again in a large?

Fair enough on the Bandit being clapped out, but let me ask that question a different way then: Apart from condition, what do you want to be different about your new bike as compared to the Bandit?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Huh. I haven't ridden any of the Process variants, so I have no comment there. But that's interesting. If you're waiting for the fall, is there not a decent chance that the 111 would be available again in a large?

Fair enough on the Bandit being clapped out, but let me ask that question a different way then: Apart from condition, what do you want to be different about your new bike as compared to the Bandit?

I believe the 111 will come back for 2016, so that's a posibility though the local dealer seems to think they underbuilt them this year in anticipation of going for teh carbonz. I'm not opposed to carbon, but given the choice, I'll take aluminum and higher end components. Though a carbon 111 means I may actually be able to find a used aluminum frame.

My biggest issue with the Bandit are the parts on it, not the frame, so another used Bandit is definitely a possibility. It really is a fun bike, mine is a bit on the heavy side, but I could easily drop a few pounds with some simple parts swaps.

I guess my main motivation for starting this thread was to see if there were something out there I'm not aware of, even better if that something was available as a frame only, or I could score a deal on one used.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Buy a transition scout.

It punches your bandit in the pussy.

If you have to ride flexy wheels, get a grape smuggler, I mean smuggler.

Those new transition bikes rule. That's based on riding one, not looking at paint.
Yea just get a new Transition. I had the v1 Covert and now the Scout. These new bikes way better, as fun as the old bikes were.
Seeing as how you guys have ridden the new Transitions, and I can't find a local dealer with one to demo, how would you compare the new ones to the old ones, how are they better? Assuming it's due to the slightly slacker geometry and the new suspension design?

Definitely not opposed to going mid-size on the wheel, just means I need to wait a little longer on the upgrade.

Another one to toss into the hat, Yeti SB95c, found a pretty good deal on one locally that I can swing and it leaves me with a much higher end bike than I can do buying almost anything else I've looked at. Tallboy LTs seem inpossible to find, and really similar to the Yeti, except for the suspension.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Seeing as how you guys have ridden the new Transitions, and I can't find a local dealer with one to demo, how would you compare the new ones to the old ones, how are they better? Assuming it's due to the slightly slacker geometry and the new suspension design?
The leverage rates of the old bikes were a secondary consideration. They ride stiffer off the top, and then blow through the travel. I rode one of the old bandit 29ers. I thought it was an okay bike but nothing mind blowing. It wallowed in its travel a bit, it was kind of flexy.......

The geo on the new ones is an obvious one because you can just look at the numbers and see if that's what you want. What they're not touting enough (IMO) is just how much better the suspension is on those new bikes. I've owned something like a dozen horst link bikes and theirs is the best incarnation of it that I've ridden. It's supple off the top and has a good, smooth ramp up that makes it feel kind of bottomless. The patrol I rode just felt really neutral climbing. The suspension did what it's supposed to do and didn't squat or extend too much in any gear combo.

Definitely not opposed to going mid-size on the wheel, just means I need to wait a little longer on the upgrade.

Another one to toss into the hat, Yeti SB95c, found a pretty good deal on one locally that I can swing and it leaves me with a much higher end bike than I can do buying almost anything else I've looked at. Tallboy LTs seem inpossible to find, and really similar to the Yeti, except for the suspension.
I might debate the 'much higher end' bit. Yeah it's more expensive and it's plastic but it doesn't necessarily ride better. But yeah, deals are deals and if you keep it in one piece should be easy to sell.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Good to know on the suspension, that is actually my 1 complaint, if you can even call it that, about the Bandit. It's a tough bike to get the suspension dialed on, I've got it where I like it now, but it definitely wakes you up if you hit stuff wrong, largely due to my lighter than recomended spring-rate, which is how I got it to ride right on smaller stuff.

I might debate the 'much higher end' bit. Yeah it's more expensive and it's plastic but it doesn't necessarily ride better. But yeah, deals are deals and if you keep it in one piece should be easy to sell.
Wasn't necessarily saying the frame is higher end, but buying used means I can go up a level or three on the components. The SB95 I'm looking at is XTR everything, brand new Roval carbon wheels, top of the line everything else, if I have to build a Scout from scratch it will likely be SLX/RaceFace/tiny bit of XT. Seeing as how I tend to wear entry level components out constantly, but have had my XTR and X.0 stuff last forever, the higher end parts, even if they're used, are pretty attractive.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i have found 2 process 111s that are brand spanking new (granted they were both Meds) within 2 minutes of searching. the larges must be popular!

i was also told by and old LBS that you could get any kona as a frame only option. if you want a process, contact this place, they always have kona frames on their site, im sure they could hook you up.
http://thepathbikeshop.com/

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Mediums are no problem, neither are smalls, large? Forget about it.

Going to stop into the Path when I'm down in the OC in a couple weeks, they sell an insane amount of good bikes, so if nothing else i'll hopefully get to test ride a few.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I'm on a 134 with a custom build, 34 fork, etc. It's a great bike. A little steep stock, but longer fork sorted it out. If you're into 650b test rides at some point, check them out.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
spoke with the local rep today lots of larges in the warehouse in Vancouver BC i can give you the # of a shop you could order a complete bike thru them
Interesting, wonder is US and Canadia dealers have different inventories to order from.

New bike is back burnered a bit, just got a couple side projects, so I have less time to ride, and will have a bigger budget in a couple months. Figure I'll just hold off and maybe snag an Evil, or do a ground up build on a Scout/Smuggler.