Quantcast

Since there are no Nomad posts...

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
Here is my Nomad! Just got it and I can't wait to build it up this weekend. Basic run-down...
As you can see - 36 Vanilla RC2 and DHX 5.0
Mavix EX 729 wheels, White front hub and DT Swiss Onyx rear hub
Avid Juicy 7s w/ 8" front and rear
SRAM X9 rear, XT front
Truvativ STYLO crankset with E13 DRS bash and chainguide
etc, etc.....

Attachments

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
Thanks guys. I am going to have a hard time sleeping and going to work the rest of the week! Can't wait to put her together and ride this weekend!

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Why is it in the freeride forum? Everyone knows that Rootbeer is the only color of real freeride bikes...

Sick build, BTW. My pants are tight just looking at that thing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A Nomad a Freeride Bike? Not to start any "categorization" wars, I don't think a Nomad would hold up to repeated drops.

On that note, I WANT A NOMAD, and I will figure out what it can do!!!

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
carguy said:
Here is my Nomad! Just got it and I can't wait to build it up this weekend. Basic run-down...
SRAM X9 rear, XT front
etc, etc.....
Thats just about the exact configuration I'll be creating this winter. Let me know how much it weighs and well it rides!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sanjuro said:
A Nomad a Freeride Bike? Not to start any "categorization" wars, I don't think a Nomad would hold up to repeated drops.

On that note, I WANT A NOMAD, and I will figure out what it can do!!!
It's built to take a double crown and should hold up just fine to lighter freeride and DH.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
It's built to take a double crown and should hold up just fine to lighter freeride and DH.
That's what the story is. But I have never seen one with a DC, and most owners try to build them as light as possible (as low as 30lbs).

What made me really think of it as the ultimate trail-bike than a light-duty FR machine is the hollowed linkages. It is a great way to lighten the bike, but not exactly the creation of a huck machine.

I wouldn't be afraid to drop on it, but I think of it handling extremely rough terrain extremely well.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sanjuro said:
That's what the story is. But I have never seen one with a DC, and most owners try to build them as light as possible (as low as 30lbs).

What made me really think of it as the ultimate trail-bike than a light-duty FR machine is the hollowed linkages. It is a great way to lighten the bike, but not exactly the creation of a huck machine.

I wouldn't be afraid to drop on it, but I think of it handling extremely rough terrain extremely well.
A buddy of mine had his set up with a super T and DH wheels and it survived a couple days of pounding at Northstar near the end of the season. I could be wrong but I think the linkages are constructed the same way on the VP-free and I've never heard of one of those failing. I wouldn't use it for 15 foot drops to flat but it should be fine for most of us mere mortals. It's at least as beefy as a blur 4x and Cam Zink beat the snot out of his 4x last season (whistler, etc.) with no problems. They built it to be "the one bike" and they know that for a lot of people these days that means some DH and FR.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
sanjuro said:

I actually saw one in Seattle this summer before they were released with a Fox 40 and a solid build. It seemed plenty burly. That said, I just got an Intense 6.6 and plan on using it for everything but DH.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
cool NOMAD frame.congrats man !.
Will Santa Cruz still make the ever-popular Heckler i hope.!?

Mark Weir races a Nomad for Super-D & stuff.
Steve Peat is on Santa Cruz now ..

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
On the digital scale at my LBS it was 35.8lbs. Not bad all things considered.

Jeenyus - Thanks man. I'd like to think so too.:)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Jimmy_Pop said:
Nomads are the best looking bike on the planet.

I must own one!!!!!!!!!!!! and it must look like this one ...

see how the bike needs a long-ish stem and setback post to bring the TT length into check. I'd ditch the Saint cranks for some XT's and drop some needless weight too. That thing does look damn sweet though that's for sure.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i was waiting for the xl nomad since sept and still havent gotten it... notice i said was.. ive changed my mind since then .. my intense 6.6 is on the way

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
hooples3 said:
i was waiting for the xl nomad since sept and still havent gotten it... notice i said was.. ive changed my mind since then .. my intense 6.6 is on the way
youre impatience has reaped you a less pretty bike.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Jimmy_Pop said:
youre impatience has reaped you a less pretty bike.
less pretty I cant deal with....besides its in the eye of the beholder

less quality is where i would draw the line.. i have a heckler and used to have a bullit... i am a huge Santa Cruz fan... the Intense is a step up

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
hooples3 said:

less quality is where i would draw the line.. i have a heckler and used to have a bullit... i am a huge Santa Cruz fan... the Intense is a step up
You think the Intense is a step up? I saw a 5.5 this week, and it really turned me off with the big sloppy welds.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
hooples3 said:

Umm, the 5.5 and Nomad are pretty much the same bike if I'm not mistaken. They both ride pretty good though.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
sanjuro said:
You think the Intense is a step up? I saw a 5.5 this week, and it really turned me off with the big sloppy welds.
I think both bikes are awesome, dont get me wrong.. I feel the intense is better made with more attention to detail. I do like that SC doesnt come out with a new bike everyyear, it tells me they trust what they make to be top notch and just just throw a bike out there for the sake of doing so

WKC said:
Umm, the 5.5 and Nomad are pretty much the same bike if I'm not mistaken. They both ride pretty good though.
I have ridden a nomad.. a size Large that was maybe a bit too small for me but i did like it. When i step on the new 6.6 it felt great right from the beginning. Thats what i made my decision on

Jun 18, 2004
carguy said:
SRAM X9 rear, XT front
etc, etc.....
I think I will get one of those next season... I just put together a Vpx, and for me that's a light bike... but I think next year my heavy bike will be the Vpx... I'd be currious to see what your bike weighed in at when it's complete... (to me 40 lbs is light)

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
Str8OutaBallard said:
I think I will get one of those next season... I just put together a Vpx, and for me that's a light bike... but I think next year my heavy bike will be the Vpx... I'd be currious to see what your bike weighed in at when it's complete... (to me 40 lbs is light)
35.8lbs on the nose. That is on a digital bike scale thingy at my lbs.

mini-dub

Chimp
May 21, 2008
How is the e13 chain guide mounted? And which specific model do you have? I have a Nomad set up with a Fox 36 van, Kenda Navegal 2.5 dh tires, and DHX 5.0 shock. The bike is freakin awesome, I love it! I would just like to get rid of the whole front derailer system and run a chain guide instead. Thanks for any help :).

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
How is the e13 chain guide mounted? And which specific model do you have? I have a Nomad set up with a Fox 36 van, Kenda Navegal 2.5 dh tires, and DHX 5.0 shock. The bike is freakin awesome, I love it! I would just like to get rid of the whole front derailer system and run a chain guide instead. Thanks for any help :).