Quantcast

Since you all seem smart, well, almost all....

J

JRB

So I have a chance to buy a Haro X2 04' for $650. I will likely trade my Dean in as well. Anyhow, the TT is the same as my XC bike, as is standover. Is this a huge hinderance? It rides really well, I am also gonna go hurbin on it later, but just wondered. Should it fit kind of like the XC??? I rode the small hardtail, that is kind of the same geometry as the small X2, and it felt tiny. What say you monkeys??? Same size - good??? I asked in the lounge, but I know some peeps in the know don't come around.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
So I have a chance to buy a Haro X2 04' for $650. I will likely trade my Dean in as well. Anyhow, the TT is the same as my XC bike, as is standover. Is this a huge hinderance? It rides really well, I am also gonna go hurbin on it later, but just wondered. Should it fit kind of like the XC??? I rode the small hardtail, that is kind of the same geometry as the small X2, and it felt tiny. What say you monkeys??? Same size - good??? I asked in the lounge, but I know some peeps in the know don't come around.
Depends on the use. Are you going "heavy XC" or more abusive/trickier than that? If it's for bombing fireroads and maiming kids, then yeah, go with what fits. If it needs to be more nimble, go a size lower.

J

JRB

H8R said:
Depends on the use. Are you going "heavy XC" or more abusive/trickier than that? If it's for bombing fireroads and maiming kids, then yeah, go with what fits. If it needs to be more nimble, go a size lower.
That whole 1" less top tube scares me. Never had a big bike.

Yeah - that one, but in blue.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
what type of riding would you be doing on that frame? i wouldnt totally reccommend it as i have seen one with a chunk of the downtube ripped off with the shock mounts. i have no idea how it happened but it wasnt pretty and didnt look all too safe. just my $.02

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
H8R said:
I'd go with that. Personally I like small bikes. But then again I am only 5'6". Either way, I have noticed that I like a slightly bigger bike for XC than I do for more aggressive riding/DH/urban. If I am seated and pedalling for a while I like to have a well fitting bike. For the other stuff I like a bike that I can throw around.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah those bikes are alright but they are hard to upgrade...at least for my two friends it was. I also believe the derailer hanger is plastic

J

JRB

zmtber said:
yeah those bikes are alright but they are hard to upgrade...at least for my two friends it was. I also believe the derailer hanger is plastic
What do you mean hard to upgrade??? The hanger is not plastic.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
loco said:
What do you mean hard to upgrade??? The hanger is not plastic.

You know how the title of your thread is Since you all seem smart, well, almost all....

Well there is a reason this person is on many of our ignore lists.

Anyway, that model Haro would make a good bike for someone who's going into their first foray of the full suspension/freeride bike world. $650 seems like a fair price, but I would be hard press to recommend it for anything beyond a beginner or intermediate freeriding, as it isn't really built up for that sort of stuff ditto with the parts hanging on it.

As far as sizing, I've always been a big fan of riding the size bike that fits you. I cringe whenever I see a 6'+ person crunched up on a small bike because they want it to be more nimble. If you have taken it for a spin and it feels good then I think you'll be fine. As long as the cockpit feels comfortable when you're seated and the bike handles the way you want it to that is all that really matters.

J

JRB

Thanks, Inclag. Uhm, the title was a joke, btw. I won't be harshing the bikey too bad. I may swap the fork later, too. My Talas will work if I find I ride it more than my XC bike.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I had a 19.5" '02 Haro X3 (I'm 5'10") for about a quarter until it was stolen (yeah, I'm still bitter). It felt stable and I was able to increase my skill while riding it. For all the flack they get, they're not bad bikes. It wasn't easy to pedal uphill, but it was just fine for all mountain/ light freeriding. Looks like you might want to upgrade the fork though (what one is that?), Talas would be good, I had a psylo on mine.

J

JRB

Hmm - I am going to test the small. It looks like I may have a roadie to trade Orven for that with an ugraded fork. I could do this deal with no money. I did like the bike, but would like a better fork.