Quantcast

Single crown vs. Double crown

I'm getting a fat check from the miitary and I want to get an Uzii VPP. Problem is I cant decide what fork to get. I know that the single crown big hit forks are the new thing. But I dont know enough about their durability to make an informed decision. So whats the general thought out here? I'm an aggresive XC/ light FR.

Lemme hear it!

Sep 29, 2004
not even, if you are an aggressive xc ridier then why would you want a urly fork? get an all mountain fork bc thats what its made for, i think its safe to say "aggressive xc" is the same as all mountain

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Yeah an Uzzi VPP is pretty overkill for what type of riding you're doing...maybe look into a Intense 5.5 with a Marz. 66 or Z1 up front?

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
And if you want something with a little more travel then look at the Santa Cruz & Intense 6.5" travel bikes. Put a 36 or a Firefly Plus & you could still be under 33 pounds! :thumb:

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
look into the manitou nixon. bear-claw was freeriding the hell out of that fork at monster park. its also great for trail/xc use because its light weight and has travel adjustment.

wizardB

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
a good xc/light free ride combo would be an enduro with a manitou flick+ on the front end

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
genpowell71 said:
Not wanting a Specialized. But thanks for the thought. Still looking for an article on the new Intense 6.6
It's your choice, but just curious why you wouldn't want a Spesh. I had an Uzzi SLX, but looking back wish I would have purchased an Enduro...Don't get me wrong, the Intense bikes are great looking bikes and I did love my bike while I had it. It's just that the Enduro's are getting excellent reviews, and you get the lifetime warranty to boot. Intense has had less than stellar feedback regarding their warranty. Great bike, but kind of nice having peace of mind using the warranty if it's needed.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I replaced a 7" Boxxer for a Marzocchi 66rc on my V10 & love it.
It's 1" higher too. Made for Extreme Freeride & probably whatever you can throw at it.
Probably wouldn't be the top pick for HIGH-Speed DH courses,but screw it,i would run it.

Monkeybidnezz said:
It's your choice, but just curious why you wouldn't want a Spesh. I had an Uzzi SLX, but looking back wish I would have purchased an Enduro...Don't get me wrong, the Intense bikes are great looking bikes and I did love my bike while I had it. It's just that the Enduro's are getting excellent reviews, and you get the lifetime warranty to boot. Intense has had less than stellar feedback regarding their warranty. Great bike, but kind of nice having peace of mind using the warranty if it's needed.
Its not that I dont like Specialized. I had a rockhopper and a Stumpy hardtail. I loved them to death. But the full suspension bikes dont fit me right. The enduro is a great bike. My buddy bought one when they frist came out and hasnt had any problems with his. But like I said, I rode it and it (ergonomically) didnt feel right.

As far as the customer service warranty, I own a Tracer and havent had any problems with them.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
genpowell71 said:
I'm getting a fat check from the miitary and I want to get an Uzii VPP. Problem is I cant decide what fork to get. I know that the single crown big hit forks are the new thing. But I dont know enough about their durability to make an informed decision. So whats the general thought out here? I'm an aggresive XC/ light FR.

Lemme hear it!
Yeah, light xc. :oink:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
my vite for single there is nothing out there that you can't do with a single, but there are plenty of tridcks out there you can't do with a double, or turning is hard with a double too

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
genpowell71 said:
Thanks for the info. I'm waiting for the Intense 6.6 to make it to stores.

It somewhat depends on how big you are and how much you weigh, but unless you are a huge meathead you don't need or want a dual crown for what you seem to be describing. The SC Nomad is available now, not sure about the Intense. Both are VPP, so the Intense will be different from the Tracer and the older Uzzi - don't rely on your ride impressions from those bikes. Get one or the other with a Fox DHX and 36 for a pimp setup. Air or coil, your call on both ends.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Here is the pic of my V10 with a Marzocchi 66RC.
It's a beefy tall fork & feels awesome!!Definately for hard freeride or DH :thumb:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
For aggressive XC/ light Freeride, go with a singlecrown; they are plenty strong enough now to take the abuse, and are light enough (in general) for XC. That's my 2¢ worth.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
lovebunny said:
dont ever say that again

an x up and a barspin. who cares? thats whuite strange to because my shiver turns just as well as any other fork
ill fight you for the ability to say it!!!
and dont forget tailwhips and decades too, since we can all do those too.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I ride a Sherman Breakout Plus SPV, and have beaten the living piss out of it, and done plenty of downhill with it. The advantages to double-crown forks is downhill racing stability and performance, as well as HUGE freeriding. Single-crown forks like the Shermans, 66's, and the like can take most anything you can throw at them.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
bigdrop05 said:
Here is the pic of my V10 with a Marzocchi 66RC.
It's a beefy tall fork & feels awesome!!Definately for hard freeride or DH :thumb:
thats super cool. a v10 with a sc - who woulda thunk? i think i've convinced myself that long-travel sc's are a viable dh option - i've yet to hear of a catastrophic failure. i'm waiting patiently for the travis sc to hit production...