Quantcast

single piv?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
dw said:
Ohio's comment is dead on. Pick up a geometry text book and read up on cartesian geometry. That should give you a good basis to understand what he is trying to explain to you.

Dave
Yeah, that all makes perfect sense. But we are talking about a conventional bike application where the axle-path must move a great deal in the Y direction. So moving the axle-path rearward along the x axis, then forward, then rearward is not practical at all. Neither is an axle-path that moves diagonally in a straight line forward. I was only thinking about examples that would actually be used in real life. But it's good to see this thread finally back on track!!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is good stuff, yep back on track.

WheelieMan said:
Axle-path is what causes chaingrowth. So if the VPP parents are related to chaingrowth, they must also be related to axle-path.
I don't think anyone said they aren't related, they just aren't exactly the same thing as you seemed to say earlier.

ohio said:
Now, the system completely ignored the affects of rider mass under the acceleration that results from pedalling, but that's a seperate issue.
Now this is getting into something I've been wondering about. The effects of rider mass seem to be mentioned more and more recently. As a non-engineer I can understand how shifting weight around under braking and acceleration (and just body english) will effect suspension, but what I can't seem to wrap my head around is how you can do much about it through frame design. (I can see how platform damping and other valving tricks could help.) I know some of it is probably top secret and you will have to kill me...but can anyone describe how those that don't "completely ignore" rider mass attack the issue? Can of worms or what?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
OGRipper said:
This is good stuff, yep back on track.

Now this is getting into something I've been wondering about. The effects of rider mass seem to be mentioned more and more recently. As a non-engineer I can understand how shifting weight around under braking and acceleration (and just body english) will effect suspension, but what I can't seem to wrap my head around is how you can do much about it through frame design. (I can see how platform damping and other valving tricks could help.) I know some of it is probably top secret and you will have to kill me...but can anyone describe how those that don't "completely ignore" rider mass attack the issue? Can of worms or what?
One word for you brother

dw-link

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
OGRipper said:
Yeah thanks Dave! :eviltongu

Guess I didn't expect much of an answer...but I like to fish.
will explain over beers sometime. Its pretty simple once its broken down to the basics. Breaking it down to the basics the first time was the real challenge :)

dw

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
WheelieMan said:
Yeah, and in that case, the axle-path would just be going backwards instead of upwards, no difference.

Axle-path is what causes chaingrowth. So if the VPP parents are related to chaingrowth, they must also be related to axle-path.

It's the term "s shape" that is throwing a monkey wrench into all of this. Regardless of what the shape of the chaingrowth curve is called, the shape is determined by the axle-path. Which is why JM and myself are confused about Ohio's original comment.
Nope, I'm not finished yet. That horizontal movement (assuming the BB is at exactly the same height as the axle, anyway) is, as Ohio said, RADIAL to the BB. If you were to change the angle so that the axle was out at 15 degrees (from horizontal) relative to the BB, but it still moved ONLY in and out related specifically to the BB (as in, directly towards the BB, then directly away again etc), it now has an X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) component on an absolute scale, but the chaingrowth is still identical to before. Now think about it this way - if you had a circular axle path with the centre of curvature at the BB, it would generate no chain growth right? If you were to take that path, but play with the radius of curvature so that it tightened and widened at various points, you will still get an axle path that is still roughly a C shape, but it's not circular (a good way to visualise it would be a BB-centric pivot, with horizontal chainstays with the axle moving in and out at certain points). However, the distance from the BB to the axle will change (shorten and lengthen), and you will get an S-shaped chaingrowth curve.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
thaflyinfatman said:
Nope, I'm not finished yet. That horizontal movement (assuming the BB is at exactly the same height as the axle, anyway) is, as Ohio said, RADIAL to the BB. If you were to change the angle so that the axle was out at 15 degrees (from horizontal) relative to the BB, but it still moved ONLY in and out related specifically to the BB (as in, directly towards the BB, then directly away again etc), it now has an X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) component on an absolute scale, but the chaingrowth is still identical to before. Now think about it this way - if you had a circular axle path with the centre of curvature at the BB, it would generate no chain growth right? If you were to take that path, but play with the radius of curvature so that it tightened and widened at various points, you will still get an axle path that is still roughly a C shape, but it's not circular (a good way to visualise it would be a BB-centric pivot, with horizontal chainstays with the axle moving in and out at certain points). However, the distance from the BB to the axle will change (shorten and lengthen), and you will get an S-shaped chaingrowth curve.
What does this have to do with anything? I never said it was impossible to get an s-shaped chaingrowth curve.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
OGRipper said:
I'm gonna take a stab at it, Dave feel free to correct me if/when I go wrong:

You realise that you can make the suspension compress or extend by changing the configuration of the linkage/pivot setup right? Basically, before you worry about rider mass movement, chain pull force acting between the front triangle and the axle, and the driving force at the tyre, moving against the inertia of the rider/front triangle mass combination, either pushes the rider/front triangle up or pulls it down relative to the axle (or if the front triangle is your frame of reference, it pulls the axle down/pushes axle up). I think for a lot of people (myself included) it's more intuitive/useful to take the front triangle as the frame of reference.

Anyway, when you accelerate in/on any vehicle, the weight shifts back because the driving force (at the tyre) is below the centre of mass. You can probably understand that any force that acts on a body (as in structure/object of mass, not necessarily a human body) where the line of force doesn't go through the centre of mass, will induce a rotation about the centre of mass as well as an acceleration of the whole body, parallel to the line of force (think about if you had a floating corpse in space, and you pushed sideways against its feet - it would start spinning as well as moving off in the direction you pushed it). The amount of rearwards weight shift under acceleration is determined by wheelbase, height of CoM, static weight bias, mass moment of inertia (well I'm pretty sure of that anyway?), as well as suspension movement, air resistance etc etc (I'm sure there's more that I've missed), but it's proportional to HOW GREAT THE DRIVING FORCE IS (at any given instant anyway, as soon as stuff moves/deforms then it changes). So in other words, the harder you accelerate, the more your weight shifts backwards. But in a bike, you know how hard it will accelerate (as in you know the driving force at the wheel) relative to chain tension (for a given gearing and chainline and neglecting minor things like friction), and if you can measure all those other factors then you can predict how much rearwards weight shift the bike will get. As I said in my first paragraph, if you can manipulate the bike to give an extension force (anti-squat as Dave loves to say :)) that will be equal in magnitude to the compressive force caused by having more weight on the rear wheel, then you can get a perfect balance going (ie no "bob" whatsoever). You do have to take into account the fact that the rider's mass moves around when pedaling and stuff, as well as the fact that gearing/chainline changes, and I'm not really sure but I'd hazard a guess that there would need to be some sort of "fudge factor" to account for that. I have NFI just how much that would be though.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
WheelieMan said:
What does this have to do with anything? I never said it was impossible to get an s-shaped chaingrowth curve.
And I never said you said it was impossible, so what?

All I'm saying is this:

S-shaped chaingrowth curve does not necessitate an S-shaped axle path, and vice versa. That's all.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
dw said:
One word for you brother

dw-link
Haha. It's funny. I always tried to consider the two factors (chain interactions and rider mass transfer) seperately, until dave pointed out that I already read a book that explained it perfectly and simply.

If you have a chance, pick up a copy of Tony Faole's Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design. That explains the interactions... but it still won't give you the "secret recipe" of how to tune those interactions. Not to mention balance them with braking performance. edit: oh yeah, and chainring/cog sizes (good call fatman).

Even if you know the rules, this shiznit isn't easy, and most designers don't even know (or care about) the rules.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
thaflyinfatman said:
And I never said you said it was impossible, so what?

All I'm saying is this:

S-shaped chaingrowth curve does not necessitate an S-shaped axle path, and vice versa. That's all.
No, an s-shaped axle-path would cause an s-shaped chaingrowth curve. But you are correct, an s-shaped chaingrowth curve does not require an s-shaped axle-path.

And don't give me any more of that hypothetical crap, we're talking about designs that people would actually use, not just talk about on the internet!

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
thaflyinfatman said:
Not necessarily. It wouldn't necessarily have any reduction in bb-axle distance.
There doesn't have to be a reduction in bb-axle distance for the chaingrowth curve to be s-shaped. It would just be a stretched out s-shape instead. We are arguing about something that is so meaningless, makes me mad.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
WheelieMan said:
And don't give me any more of that hypothetical crap, we're talking about designs that people would actually use, not just talk about on the internet!
Actually I think hypothetical examples are helpful, if not needed, to illustrate certain concepts, especially if you have a small brain like me. On that note, I am going to get another scotch and try to digest thatflyinfatman's mass transfer explanation...see ya on the other side. :cool:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
WheelieMan said:
makes me mad.
Whoa.

Uh, none of this stuff is worth getting worked up about. Seriously, pick up the Foale book I mentioned, and as Pedro said, "all of your wildest dreams will come true."

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
ohio said:
Whoa.

Uh, none of this stuff is worth getting worked up about. Seriously, pick up the Foale book I mentioned, and as Pedro said, "all of your wildest dreams will come true."
What sort of shops will stock that book? (I'm in Australia btw so I need a description rather than a name)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
thaflyinfatman said:
What sort of shops will stock that book? (I'm in Australia btw so I need a description rather than a name)
I bought it direct from Tony when he first published the new edition in 2002... printed by him in Spain with no ISBN number. I don't know where you'd get it now. Try www.tonyfoale.com.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
thaflyinfatman said:
I'm gonna take a stab at it....
Thanks for taking the time to do that, it makes sense that you can counteract mass movement in the way you describe. How to actually accomplish it while addressing all the other issues is the trick I guess. No wonder lots of companies just punt.

Understatement of the week: With pedaling forces, braking forces, mass shifting around, etc., there's a lot to cover eh? :cool:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
OGRipper said:
Thanks for taking the time to do that, it makes sense that you can counteract mass movement in the way you describe. How to actually accomplish it while addressing all the other issues is the trick I guess. No wonder lots of companies just punt.

Understatement of the week: With pedaling forces, braking forces, mass shifting around, etc., there's a lot to cover eh? :cool:
haha yep, there's a fair bit of stuff to cover. Fortunately you can kind of separate the factors, because pedalling reactions within the frame (ie not mass shifts) are determined (for a given gearing/chainline) only relative to axle path (insofar as I understand, I could be wrong), whereas braking takes into account both axle path and swingarm/rear triangle rotation. Pedalling doesn't worry about swingarm rotation because the only place the internal pedalling reactions act on the swingarm is at the axle - and the axle can only provide point forces to the swingarm (in the 2d plane, ie forgetting about sideways flex etc) because the wheel is free to rotate around it (and both the chain tension and the wheel's driving force act directly on the wheel). In that respect, you can relatively easily create two setups that will pedal identically (well other than whatever minor changes in CoM/moments of inertia that rearranging a linkage might make) but brake differently or vice versa. A good example is a typical FSR setup - they generally can be pretty closely approximated by a singlepivot in terms of axle path (as in they have a constant centre of curvature), but you can play with the braking reactions somewhat separately (if you know how to) by f'ing round with the instant centre position. I really have no idea how many bike designers actually take this stuff into account or know how to do it though.

Pretty cool stuff though.

rbx

Monkey
I am actually working on a design that uses same size front and rear cogs
with the aid of a jackshaft design..

My theory is that suspension having zero chaingrowth and also the cogs being of the same diametre there will be no drivetrain/chain induced forces at CoM of the rear hub also having the main pivot high and the near CoM of the rider there will be less squating of the suspension.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
rbx said:
I am actually working on a design that uses same size front and rear cogs
with the aid of a jackshaft design..

My theory is that suspension having zero chaingrowth and also the cogs being of the same diametre there will be no drivetrain/chain induced forces at CoM of the rear hub also having the main pivot high and the near CoM of the rider there will be less squating of the suspension.
My 2c - having zero chaingrowth is good for pedalling, and you are correct that the chain tension (on its own) will have no extension/compression effect on the axle. However you have to take into account the driving force (which you kinda alluded to, but I'm not sure exactly how you meant that sentence), which is basically a horizontal force on the tyre that is transferred directly to the axle. You can work out how the forces balance - neglecting the wheel's own mass moment of inertia - in a simple FBD of the wheel taking into account tyre traction force, chain tension force, and the subsequent axle reactions (assuming other forces are at equilibrium). Trying to balance that with *calculated* weight shifts I imagine will be pretty tricky, however my experience with BB7s etc (high pivot bikes with pulleys) would lead me to believe that a typical "high pivot" (as in 7-9 inches directly above the BB) would probably pedal pretty well. So - sounds good, can't wait to see it :)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
thaflyinfatman said:
... however my experience with BB7s etc (high pivot bikes with pulleys) would lead me to believe that a typical "high pivot" (as in 7-9 inches directly above the BB) would probably pedal pretty well. So - sounds good, can't wait to see it :)
yeah my custom high pivot does as well, but more for the flats. Once you get into a climbing grade theres way too much extension (or anti-squat)

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
zedro said:
yeah my custom high pivot does as well, but more for the flats. Once you get into a climbing grade theres way too much extension (or anti-squat)
Yeah but who the hell tries to pedal a ~50(?)lb DH bike uphill? My SGS weighs 46lbs and that won't go up anything steeper than dead flat.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
zedro said:
Do you mean once you need to pedal that hard? Or are you referring to weight shifting or some other effect from the grade? I would think you could generate the same pedal force in a sprint on the flats as you could trying to pedal that beast uphill no? And anyway doesn't the dual chain/jackshaft isolate pedalling forces from the suspension? Can I ask more dumb questions? :D (Don't answer that last one.)

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
thaflyinfatman said:
Yeah but who the hell tries to pedal a ~50(?)lb DH bike uphill? My SGS weighs 46lbs and that won't go up anything steeper than dead flat.
Me! v-10, 46lbs, 34 tooth ring and 12-34 cassett.

Like Dante once said "34 tooth on a downhill bike, that's what we call freeride around here" and some other monkey said "heavy bike make you strong"

Pedal that SGS around awhile and then maybe you'll be "thaflyinnotsofatman" :thumb: :D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
OGRipper said:
Do you mean once you need to pedal that hard? Or are you referring to weight shifting or some other effect from the grade? I would think you could generate the same pedal force in a sprint on the flats as you could trying to pedal that beast uphill no? And anyway doesn't the dual chain/jackshaft isolate pedalling forces from the suspension? Can I ask more dumb questions? :D (Don't answer that last one.)
the grade shifts the center of gravity which messes things up, plus theres a tendency to pull on the bars more which really upsets it. Its kinda odd when you're hammering uphill with it and it has like a subtle inchworm effect. Climbing with the low gearing generates alot more torque at the wheel than you could with taller gearing, plus pedal strokes tend to be more hacky when climbing.

Jackshafts or high swingarm mounted pulleys like mine isolate (well more like manage or tune) chain forces that would be otherwise unmanagible without for a high pivot design, but acceleration forces which are dominate always remain. What high pivots do tho is provide more anti-squat like alot of 4 bar designs do. In fact high pivot bikes with modifed chainlines have more in common with virtual pivot 4 bars than they do with standard single pivot designs in the way they provide good anti-squat behavior but also manage and keep chain feedback forces at a minimum.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I still have 3 weeks before fall quarter starts and I'm already learning a lot.
This is a great thread!

Hey Zedro, would you mind posting a picture of your frame?
I don't feel like searching for it. ;)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey Zedro, I was looking at that pic again - does that dogbone-lookin' thingie above the BB allow you to change the shock mount position and leverage ratio? That's pretty cool...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
OGRipper said:
Interesting to think of how acceleration can have an impact even though the modified chainline minimizes pedal feedback, thanks.
Interesting indeed!

That observation right there blows some pretty gaping holes some very common suspension theory and marketing...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
OGRipper said:
Hey Zedro, I was looking at that pic again - does that dogbone-lookin' thingie above the BB allow you to change the shock mount position and leverage ratio? That's pretty cool...
yup good call, the multiple mounts on the frame and adjustable dogbones let me change the rate without changing the leverage ratio, although i can vary that slightly too (as well as geometry)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
zedro said:
yup good call, the multiple mounts on the frame and adjustable dogbones let me change the rate without changing the leverage ratio, although i can vary that slightly too (as well as geometry)
That is pretty nifty, nice work. I'm trying to wrap my brain around how you can change rate without changing the leverage ratio. I've always thought they were so related that you couldn't change one without changing the other...? I probably need a better understanding of the terms.
dw said:
Interesting indeed!
Yeah I can see how an acceleration force from the rear wheel on a squishy bike could really screw with things. I'm picturing a rear wheel chasing a front wheel, giving an inchworm effect if it's not factored in how the design responds to acceleration. How you deal with it is the trick eh?

Truly one of those things where the more I learn the more I realize I don't know...