Quantcast

Single pivot for DH - thinking Izimu

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Unexpected news has just come through that I am probably moving back home to South Africa at the end of the year. It wont be full time for another year to 18 months, probably looking at 5 weeks in South Korea and 2 weeks in South Africa. I have been working on some really nice flow/fr/ jump trails in South Korea and generaly pin it with my Wildcard or new Knolly DT. I invested in a Maelstrom a while back but never got on with the bike so its gone. I was hoping to get more into DH riding while on contract here, hence the Maelstrom, but the trails just dont have enough gnar to run a full DH bike. In fact the locals on DH rigs struggle more than I do with 5" out back.

Most of my rides have been single pivot but also shorter travel too. I think single pivots offer a really lively fun ride and jump perfectly, it grates me when people dump on them. So what I am interested in now is some information on what to expect from a single pivot DH bike. Running shorter travel bikes I have never had the time to worry about brake jake since the bike is skipping around anyway. I am really looking forward to getting involved in a group of riders as I currently ride and dig solo and would like a DH rig that will give me the best chance of getting up and running. If all goes well I may even do a couple of races. I really do prefer trails with loads of jumps, drops, wall rides or any other feature and this is also important in my frame choice. Apart from really liking Morewood bikes I wood also like to support local and have the benefit of CS. I have started doing my research and the Kalula probably is the best choice as it will ride the closest to my DT and prevent too much adjusting when switching bikes. The issue is that I am not sure I could really go and drop huge coin on a Makulu or Kalula when I have just spent a fair bit on the DT. Initialy I plan on leaving the DT in Korea and taking the Wildcard to cover DJ spots. The new bike will be exclusively DH and since I need to watch the budget I come back to the Izimu and my request for what to expect from DH riding on a single pivot? I know it cant be that bad since Steve Peat had no issue on his 224 but I am no pro, just looking for honest feedback:thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The Izimu is an awesome bike. I ran one for years and I miss it quite a bit (now on a Makulu). As you mentioned it jumps really well and pops out of turns like no other bike I have ridden. The other great thing was it didn't seem to hang up in rock gardens. I found that I could just give it a couple of pumps and it would spring right out. Its great for technical, steep terrain. The Kaulua feels a lot like the Izimu, but the Makulu is much more of a racked out world cup"race" bike. Most of us can not get that bike to its potential.