Quantcast

single pivot or multi pivot

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Don't Humans utilize Bikes for the most part? So part of the limitations of either design is that the Human variable is so huge. For that reason each design might serve someones physiology better then another based on that huge variable?
You're right, and there's probably more money to be made in body modifications anyway. So let's make that human variable a little more managable by adding more pivots.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like these pivots, too. :drool:

Damn, I have that new frame itch bad, and the more I look at the Ion 16, the more I like.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so what's on your short list? short travel xc? mid travel? trail? enduroooooooooooo? there's a lot of great bikes to be had these days.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
so what's on your short list? short travel xc? mid travel? trail? enduroooooooooooo? there's a lot of great bikes to be had these days.
cross country riding is what i plan to do. i live in santa cruz so there are hills to climb and descend everywhere.

i'm not into big drops (practically killed myself and that's enough of that). i have been looking at Santa Cruz 5010 and Bantam. while buying used seems sensible from a cost perspective my browsing of eBay and Craigslist has me discouraged thus far.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
banshee has got some really good bikes right now. check out the yeti stuff too. both companies have been putting out great bikes lately.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The bantam looks like a decent, cheap bike. It actually caught my eye because it's just like my Rush, but has more modern accoutrements. I think it would be a great XC rig to spend all day on.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The Bike magazine reviews from this year are fun to watch if nothing else if you're in the market for a biek. They were a cool addition to the regular print articles since it was opinions coming straight from other riders/editors/contributors.

cross country riding is what i plan to do. i live in santa cruz so there are hills to climb and descend everywhere.

i'm not into big drops (practically killed myself and that's enough of that). i have been looking at Santa Cruz 5010 and Bantam. while buying used seems sensible from a cost perspective my browsing of eBay and Craigslist has me discouraged thus far.
Iff'n I was looking at SC it'd be a Nomad.

Edit: IFF frame came in Al.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you look at any piece of my bike, rims, frame, fork, other bits, there is a fine patina of scrapes, gouges, dings, and dents. If I got carbon anything it would be a fractured fuzz farm within weeks. :rant:
(Sigh.) I thought people were over this by now, but I guess there are always holdouts laboring on with misinformation and outdated opinions that have no basis in reality.

I agree that carbon bikes are very expensive. I disagree that a carbon bike (even one with carbon rims and bars!) will always implode with years of use and abuse, let alone "weeks". Debate cost all day long, fine, but it's just wrong to say good carbon bikes are too fragile.

Anyway, carry on, flame away, whatever. :rolleyes:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you look at any piece of my bike, rims, frame, fork, other bits, there is a fine patina of scrapes, gouges, dings, and dents. If I got carbon anything it would be a fractured fuzz farm within weeks. :rant:
this is true for carbon bikes that were built in the 90's. carbon fiber as a technology has evolved drastically since then.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
And he still managed to eff up the geometry. 16.8" reach on the large. That's the same as a medium honzo or spec e29. Hope you like 90mm stems or are delightfully British and 5'3", as that whole along reach/short stem thing isn't going to work here unless you're 5'9" max.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Wow you guys are a tough crowd! :monkey:

I am looking at the Ripley numbers and am a little confused.

Top tube for L: 24.4"(Codeine) vs. 24"(Ripley). Reach: 16.8"(C) vs. 15.6"(R). CS: 17.3"(C) vs. 17.5"(R), HA 67.5(C) vs. 68.5(R)

So the Codeine has 10mm more travel, is slacker, has shorter stays and longer frame than the Ripley, yes it is about 1.8lbs heavier but comes with a much better shock for less than half the price of the Ripley. How is the Ripley one of the best niners on the market with such atrocious geo numbers and the Codein such POS?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wow you guys are a tough crowd! :monkey:

I am looking at the Ripley numbers and am a little confused.
Don't compare the Ripley, it has 2005 geometry too. Compare the Kona Process or E29, which have a medium reach of 17.1/16.7 and a large of 18.1/17.5 and top tubes of 23.8/23.4 med and large 24.96/24.3. The Kona is a bit extreme, in my opinion, but I don't know if I would fit on a large Codeine unless I ran a minimum 70mm stem.

Brant likes to use slack seat angles to get "apparently" long top tubes, but really short reaches. It makes for a bike that's cramped out of the saddle and overly stretched out in it. Not a problem, really, for an XC trail bike, but definitely something to avoid on a #enduro bike. Unfortunately, all on-one bikes follow the same trend...as do ragleys, cotics, and tituses as well.