Quantcast

Single Pivot Shock Upgrade

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Hey guys, I am riding a 2007 Ironhorse Yakuza Kumicho right now and so far it has served me well. Right now i have a 2006 Marzocchi RC2x on the way to replace my Super T RCV, however i was also thinking about replacing the FOX VAN R as well. The frame is a single pivot (8" travel, 8.75x2.75), so i was wondering what you guys can suggest for a good shock upgrade? I was looking into the Marzocchi Roco's but I am not sure if the Platform or Non Platform shock would benefit me more, but i am also willing to look into something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as well i would prefer to stay with a Coil rather then an Air shock.

Thanks
Matt

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
depends on how much you wanna spend. Lots of good options:

-cane creek
-elka
-bos
-avalanche
-fox
-marz

Be sure that:

-you get the shock with the correct i2i and stroke
-confirm the shock will fit BEFORE ordering

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Well I am not looking to spend a crazy amount (im pretty sure that the top four shocks you listed are worth more then my frame), and the 2007 defiantly has the 8.75x2.75, the 2006 had and odd ball size. Any suggestions for models? I am not into racing at the moment, so i am just looking for something that has good durability and dependability, with more adjustments to tune with then the stock VAN R.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i would think that a custom tuned shock for your frame and weight would be better than a "decent" shock with more adjustments...but I've never tried a PUSH setup....

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Does just having the Factory Tune done make that much of a difference? Or is it only the MX tune that will make the difference?

And for say the Roco, is a platform or Non platform shock better for single pivot?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
mx tune from push on the van r is the call without question, unless its somewhow the neer van RC (then have avalanche do it, same kit, less $$$)

custom setup to you/bike, cheaper than a new shock, and all the adjustments that you want. no brainer.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
So the factory tune wouldn't even be worth considering? And $300 seems quite expensive for a tune, where you can get lots of nice used shocks for under $200.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I would say yes, the factory tune is worth considering. I had this done to my DHX 3.0 on my sunday and it made the bike ride exactly how I wanted it to (more in mid travel, not blow through suspension, supple intially and progressive at the end). It was the best money I spent on the bike. The factory tune makes it so you really don't have to tune it as long as you know what you are looking for. If you really don't know how to tune a shock, having more adjustments is not going to help.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Thanks for all the quick responses guys, defiantly taking everything into consideration. Please keep the suggestions coming! Like i was saying I don't race, but i want something solid! Majority of the time i have lift access, but at the moment this is my bike that i will ride anything with, but the Majority is DH and some FR.

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
Vivid/Roco or grab a used DHX 3.0 and Push custom tune it. I didn't like all the sh1t on the DHX5. Propedal is a waste. You can get the ramp up @ stroke end by talking it thru with Push. I had a Vanilla RC Push custom tuned for a single pivot and loved it. Good luck.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does just having the Factory Tune done make that much of a difference? Or is it only the MX tune that will make the difference?

And for say the Roco, is a platform or Non platform shock better for single pivot?
The MX tune gives you great performance, tuned to their recommendations, plus extra knobs to twiddle to get the best-per-course performance out of it.
The factory tune doesn't give you mo' knobs but it does give you a custom tune that should be the best for 90% of your trails.

You can, of course, go with another shock, but then you're looking at paying the same amount for a beat up old shock that will still require some fiddling before it feels right, if not a complete rebuild.

Skip the platform shocks. Those are good for pedaling, but not for suspension performance. Those are more of a bandaid for good technique, shock tuning, and bike design. The Yakuza will benefit only on flat ground.

I think you'll find that unless you're really a top-level rider in pro or cat 1, you really don't need all those knobs. Once my bike is set up to my liking it generally never moves. Ironically, on a high quality shock and fork, I didn't touch them for a year and a half. On my new stuff, I find myself searching for better tuning constantly. In other words, get the good stuff from the get go, and you won't have to adjust it.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Once everything is nicely dialed in I often leave it alone as well, so would you recommend just the Factory tune then? Would this compliment the 888 RC2x in the front?

But I can defiantly see where you coming from about the used shocks.

But i am starting to feel that the Factory tune might be the best value for me, as I am not expecting this frame to last me forever, I am expecting to out grow the frame (skill wise) with in a few seasons. I could see the MX tune being practical for a frame that will last you a lifetime.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Go with the factory tune man. Makes a big difference. Basically they dial in the shock to your bikes leverage ratio, weight, riding style, spring rate, etc. Eliminates the need for all the knobs. You are left with a great performing shock that has a little bit of rebound leeway for when you want to mix it up between dh tracks and jump trails and voila, you are good to go.

Friend did it with the van r on his cannondale perp. night and day difference.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Hey guys i found a really good deal on a Roco RC (different then the one above, but talking to him as well) that has already been Push'd just needs a rebuild, and PUSH said that they would rebuild and re valve for me and my bike for $125 (cost of the rebuild) is this a better option then just getting my Van R Factory tuned?

Last edited: