Quantcast

single ply tires

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
so i found some Minion DHR on CL for $20 for both front and rear unused. I was out of town at the time so i had a friend pick em' up for me, but when i got back and saw them they were the 2.35 single ply folding bead kind, not the DH version i just assumed they were. they were only $20 so its not a huge loss but I have a trip coming up and dont have time to order different ones. So am I gonna get screwed with flats n what not with these things or should i just put back on my old gazzaloddi g until i can get a proper pair of tires?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Put them on and bring your old tires just in case. You might as well do some XC on those 2.3's, I'm guessing it'll fit like a 2.1.

I ended up with 3 tears in the sidewall the last time I dh'd some single ply tires.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Where are you riding? What kind of bike? I've gotten away with single ply on some pretty hairy trails but I was on a xc/am bike so I wasn't able to go full Braaaap! so I was alright. However if I were on a DH bike on those same trails the bike would allow me to go full Braaaap! but the tires would have held me back and I most likely would have flatted several times.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
maybe run super thick DH tubes inside the tires...that might give the stiffness of a dual ply tire....and then just be wary of sidewall cuts.