Quantcast

Single speed chain with lx derailleur?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I just ripped off the shifter on my freeride hardtail and am running it as a single speed with my derailleur as a tensioner. I took a few links out so its nice and tight. My question is can i put a single speed chain on there like the half link shadow chain? I'm worried about the extra torque i'm gonna be putting on an 8 speed chain (i'm 200 lbs). Or will the derailleur not like a single speed chain?

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
A bmx chain like the Shadow chain probably would not fit through a derailleur since they are so much rider than mtb chains. But if you got a MTB SS chain like the KMC dropbuster then it'd work.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Muuqi said:
A bmx chain like the Shadow chain probably would not fit through a derailleur since they are so much rider than mtb chains. But if you got a MTB SS chain like the KMC dropbuster then it'd work.
BMX chains (such as the SRAM PC-1 and Shadow Conspiracy) are 1/2"x1/8" chains. Chains designed to run with shifters are 1/2"x3/32".

The Dropbuster is interesting. It's marketed as a "stretch-proof" 3/32" chain. It's constructed with thicker side plates. To me, that says that internal spacing is kept at 3/32", but the chain itself is wider to accomodate the thicker plates. I can't seem to find any chain measurements. One write-up I read said "engineered for any 3/32" non-derailleur drive..." I've never seen the chain in person, but I'm not sure it would work with a derailleur as a tensioner...it might be a tight fit.

there are SS MTB chains? i just put a shadow chain on and MY DOG the thing is heavy, it fits my old 36 front (1988 deoreXT 5 arm 110 crank spindle) and using the 19 tooth from the old 6 speed cassette i tore apart.
i put the chain on last night and blew up my chain tool, i had to go to my LBS and have them use a ballistic tool to take 3 links out of the shadow to fit it.

who makes SS mtb chains? must be lighter?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
BarbaRosa said:
who makes SS mtb chains? must be lighter?
Lighter than the Shadow Conspiracy chain for sure. I'm sure there are chains out there marketed to the SS MTB crowd, but I find that any chain works just fine. Chains designed for non-derailleur bikes, ie. 1/2"x1/8", are more durable in my experience. I've been using the $10 SRAM PC-1 with no complaints.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
BarbaRosa said:
i needed that half link to fit with out a using a tensioner
Individual half-links should be available at your LBS or they can order you one from QBP. Just make sure you ask for the correct size: 3/32" if you're using an 8 or 9 speed chain, 1/8" if you're using a SS/BMX chain.

Someone pointed me to this site recently where you can mailorder directly from the QBP catalog. I haven't tried them yet, but they have half-links.