Quantcast

single speed forum?

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
so how come there are all these forums, but not one for single speeds? Are there not enough of us. If there aren't every single one of you needs to go get one! It'll take you back to the first days of pedaling. Just a thought.

J

JRB

Why have a special forum when you guys can beat the single speed topic to death here? :confused:

5cents

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
in the 303/720
Originally posted by loco-gringo
Why have a special forum when you guys can beat the single speed topic to death here? :confused:
Come on now. The topic of DH, XC are all beaten to Death in the lounge, but they have their own forum, why not honor and RESPECT the ss'ers as well?

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I've said this before, the "Cross Country and Cyclocross" forum needs to be broken up into these three separate forums:

"Cross Country and Weight Weenies"
"Single Speed, 29er, Cyclocross, Recumbent, Unicycles and All Other Freaks"
"Trail Riding, aka Mountain Biking"

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
so i've got a fixed gear cross bike...that fits a pigeon hole, even though I don't shave my legs. I've got a fixed gear road bike, same thing, still don't shave my legs. I've got a single speed for cross country, single speed bmx (duh), and building a single speed dj/urban. (when yo gurl see me on dat, I'll find out if she shaves her legs!) So yeah, I guess I could be in any of them....but I want my own damit!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm interested and do ride SS. I just don't see how it warrants its own forum. It's just XC without gears, and we already have an XC forum.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by BikeGeek
I'm interested and do ride SS. I just don't see how it warrants its own forum. It's just XC without gears, and we already have an XC forum.
And downhill is xc with bigger tires, and road is xc with larger geeks...

Same reason we have a snowboard forum on a bike forum, or South America forum.. so people can just post naked girls.

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
well for starters, when I post somthing about single speeds, in its own forum, we wouldn't have people jumping in calling us freaks, and ranting about how they think we're beating somthing to death.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Arsbars
And downhill is xc with bigger tires, and road is xc with larger geeks...

Same reason we have a snowboard forum on a bike forum, or South America forum.. so people can just post naked girls.
Now I know you're not complaining about South America. ;)

I see DH as different enough to get a forum. The equipment is far more specialized, and the terrain and the approach one takes to conquer it is different.

I don't see any comparisons between mtbers and roadies.

Other than a lack of gears, what makes SS different than XC?

The snowboarding forum is a remnant of the original RM. We used to have a climbing forum too.

That said...I'd probably use an SS forum if we had one. I know there's a site and server update coming, who knows what it will look like.

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
Sounds like I should have just asked for a "'freaks"forum, wouldn't have caught so much greif. Yeah single speed, is alot different if you ask me! Not to mention "freaks" love to congregate.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by BikeGeek
My SS is not XC :) In fact...it's a royal pain in the arse when I do take it out for XC :D I built it to learn to jump...

fatty 24" in wheels
small frame (think BMX for your kid brother)
SS (36x16 gear ratio)

Does not keep up well ;) but wayyy fun to ride.

J

JRB

Originally posted by squirrelonabike
well for starters, when I post somthing about single speeds, in its own forum, we wouldn't have people jumping in calling us freaks, and ranting about how they think we're beating somthing to death.
I would post my smart ass comments in the SS forum too.

btw - I'm just chain jerkin

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
Well people obviously like the topic, cause this thread is going on and on and on and on. See we're not freaks, we are cool man. Cmon just admit it, you wanna be like us.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Single speed:

Beach cruiser
24" BMX cruiser
20" BMX
16" BMX
26" XC mountain bike
29" XC mountain bike
Dirt jumping mountain bike
Freeride hardtail mountain bike
DH hardtail mountain bike
Full suspension trail bike (with BB pivot)
Modified trials bike
Stock trials bike
Track bike
Sprint bike
Messenger bike
Kid's bike
Mongrel bike
Tricycle

Being that you can make pretty much ANY bike into a SS bike, I think it desrves it's own forum.

I've seen many threads with questions on the best way to set up SS bikes, how to tackle climbs, long debates about knee health, what are good frames for SS, who makes good hubs, etc etc. One forum for all this would make the searches easier at least.

We have at least a few monkies on here that ONLY ride SS (myself included).

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
From what I heard from one of the mods.. they won't be adding anythign till after the revamp...

So I vote we let this lay low until they have all that taken care of. And THEN cause havoc!!:devil: