Quantcast

single speed or five functional gears

Jan 31, 2005
Does anyone think that there is any advantage either way?
Should there be a ss class or lump into modified class?
Do you remember when nobody cared?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
well, by uci standards you're supposed to have 6 working shiftable gears... however here in the northwest, I guess there are rarely competitions where they care about that. Personaly, I think its nice not to have to be single speeding it everywhere. I have a 6 speed cassette that wieghs about 100 grams, and is the mostly a sram road cassette with ultegra 19-21 cog. I have an old campy neuvo grand sport rear derailleur that sits flush with the chainstay, and a shifter on the seatstay. its not that much more weight than if i were running single speed. I can shift down into my 12 or 13 or whatever cog to get around, then i shift back up when i'm playing around. its much better than having to pedal non stop and only be going a walking pace. so I really see an advatage that way.

I do think that when competitions are regulated with uci rules, that there should be a single speed class for stock bikes. mod's have their own class, stock has thier own class with their own regulations about their bikes too. or they could just let single speed stocks run in the stock class, I don't understand really why its not allowed. too much weight savings? who knows.

bmorekirby

Chimp
Jul 25, 2004
get a 17-19t chris king cog, a rennen single speed tensioner, and be done with it! with triels you will be beat your bike, so why not make it lighter, and have less stuff to worry about?

http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/

EDIT:
iridebikes said:
I do think that when competitions are regulated with uci rules, that there should be a single speed class for stock bikes. mod's have their own class, stock has thier own class with their own regulations about their bikes too. or they could just let single speed stocks run in the stock class, I don't understand really why its not allowed. too much weight savings? who knows.
the main reason is UCI judges suck. if you have a single speed setup at a comp, and still want to ride, they they might let you join the mod comps, but rarely will they allow you to join a stock comp with a single speed setup.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
i'm using an ultegra 19-21 cog. nice and strong and doesn't ruin your freehub body. then a few smaller cogs, seatstay shifter, and a campy neuvo grand sport rear deraillure that sits completly flush with the seatstay=no bend der. hangers, no broken adjusters, just pure radness

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
nope, the picture is from when it was first built up. I have chainged the setup a little bit. the shifter is now on top, further toward the back, and the housing goes directly to it, instead of going to the cable stop. having the shifter farther back now helps alot. its that much more out of the way. I'll try to get some more current pictures up. I personaly thing the way its set up now with the campy deraillure its pretty rad.