Quantcast

single speed ratio and crank question

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Can anyone suggest a nice gear ratio for the bike I am building?

I have just purchased a shiney new evil doc and intend to build it up with 26" wheels and single speed it.

The bike will be used for everything, riding to work (only a few miles) some street some DJ (in summer) and general trail riding.

I think I want the bike to be more biased to sprinting/acceleration so I can get up some climbs if I need rather than a flat out top speed.

Im thinking about running either a deity crank or a shimano xt. Does anyone have any feedback on the deity stuff?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Deity stuff is pretty good, ive set up alot of bikes with their bb/crank/stem and bar set up.

Ratio for sprint would be like a 25/12 for a 26 inch bike. Usual ratios are 2/1 through 3/1.

The problem with 2/1 is that you find your self spinning out when between double sets if you need a little boost of speed... and the same could happen when you ride park.

just my .02

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have a 26-13 2-1. its a little small.

i end up spinning just riding around town.

28-13 - 26-12 i bet would rule.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
26 12 sounds good to me I dont really want to run a bash gaurd yet so the smaller the sprocket the better.

My experiance of fitting BMX style cranks has never been fun, I like fitting HT2 style set ups and ISIS as they are a no brainer. Does the Diety set up work easy enough or does it take fitting adding removing and adding spacers for ever to get right?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Youll add and remove spacers... but its not that big a deal. I usually start with one thick spacer on the drive side behind the chain wheel and then 2 thick spacers on the non drive side and adjust from there.

After Im happy with the chain line on the drive side, i take calipers and measure from the inside of the crank arm to the center of the seat or down tube and then set the non drive side up so its the same distance.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
FWIW I am runing a 28-12 now. It feels a lot better once you are moving then my 36-16 setup. Its only a small bit steeper, but works pretty well for me so far.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I'm running a 27T up front and 12T in the rear on my 26" bike , steep hills kinda hurt but it's rides good for trails and park

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Also in the Deity instructions they give you a tip on how to get your chainline straight before you get everything together. Follow it, it works great.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I run a 32-13... I know, that's crazy, right? But, I love it for my local trails... slight downhill dirt jumps. It sucked when I took it out to Sheep Hills, though. I think 2 to 1 is way small. If I rode normal stuff, 29 or 30 - 13 would be about right.