Quantcast

Single Speed Rear 135mm x 12mm Hub

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
I've been runnign single speed on my DH bike for a while now, see thread below. Currently i use a Hope Pro 2 with spacers on the freehub.

What i would like is to get a proper single speed hub, so that i can get the benefits of a zero dish rear wheel. However, there seem to be none available that will accomodate a 12mm bolt through rear axle.

Any ideas?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Seems to me I've done this before with a Hope Pro 2 single speed but I can't recall. Should be possible with the right parts. Call Hope USA and Phil could probably tell you for sure.

If you want to run 6 gears on a SS freehub body, say 15-34 for example, you will need to modify your derailleur and/or the hanger. We've done quite a bit of that lately. Also, depending on the derailleur you will need to change the limit screws. That's my experience anyway with X.0 and XTR Shadow stuff. The shadow derailleur actually gets a longer bolt to the hanger and a shim to move it outboard and therefore less "shadowy" as well

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
I've spoken to Hope and they told me that it can't be done.

I'm not interested in gears, just one gear.

My current thinking is to use a 10mm bolt up, BMX screw on style hub and drill it out to size. I may have to pop some different bearings in. Anyone got any thoughts on this as I have no experience of these types of hubs?

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
I've spoken to Hope and they told me that it can't be done.

I'm not interested in gears, just one gear.

My current thinking is to use a 10mm bolt up, BMX screw on style hub and drill it out to size. I may have to pop some different bearings in. Anyone got any thoughts on this as I have no experience of these types of hubs?
profile makes a ss hub that uses 14mm studs you could enlarge your 12mm dropouts by a little
http://www.profileracing.com/profileracing/estore2/index.php5?productid=158

or use a 10mm axel with a 14mm washer .its commonly used in bmx to run a 10mm wheel is a 14mm slot . i know theres a 2mm difference but its only really 1mm per side or overall diameter .

here are the washers

http://www.profileracing.com/profileracing/estore2/index.php5?productid=201

hope it helped

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
In a BMX style hub, e.g. the Profile, does the hub slide through, like a DH bolt-through. Or is it fixed and has to go into vertical dropouts.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
In a BMX style hub, e.g. the Profile, does the hub slide through, like a DH bolt-through. Or is it fixed and has to go into vertical dropouts.
i think your right .. vertical dropouts only .. diodnt think of that .. i know the axle is 3 piece so you might still be able to use a 10mm bolt and space it and bolt it directly into the center axle ...dificult to explain ..

the only thing i can say is if you want to run a custom set up you have to get custom design creativity is a must

Last edited:

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
Not that anybody cares except me but..

... I managed to get hold of a Halo DJD 14mm hub. I'm currently having the axle drilled out to fit a 12mm bolt through. This should solve my problem. Should get the wheel built up and working sometime next week.

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
How did that work out?

And, I think hope makes a 135mm SS hub that will accept thruaxles.

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
The halo hub works brilliantly.

I had to get a second driver though in order to allow me to change the cog quickly, but now this only takes seconds so i can easily set the gearing for the track.

Yup, Hope does make a single speed (well 6spd) hub, but it's very noisy and not zero dish.

Yup, DT 240 hubs can be single speed and 12mm but they are very expensive.