Quantcast

Single Speed Roll Call !!!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Damn, I have multiple reasons to post in this thread!!
1. I started racing right there, at the Killer 3, way back in 1993, and it's still one of my favorite xc loops ever. The last 2 seasons Buddy had the races there i think I won 3 out of the 5. Eric Lemaire still has the course record as far as I can remember, set listening to his walkman and making us all look silly.

2. I just converted my old Spooky to an SS with an Eno hub. I threw on a karate monkey fork and a light- ass road wheel wrapped up in a motoraptor 2.1 for good measure. It ****ing rules. Would definetly be more fun somewhere besides western ma. Our ultra straight up/down riding and ultra rocks make it more challenging, but on some more Southeastern terrain the SS with the big front is more fun than nitrous.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Surl Karate Monkey, 32 x 16 free, 32 x 13 fixed. Best bike in the world, swap between road slicks or knobbies and it will take on everything. I'll have to go find some pics, I know I have at least one lying around.

The Ito

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
henrymiller said:
My good bike: 36x20
Now that's something you don't see every day. Assuming the filename is descriptive, how'd you wind up with that?

Edit: And a pic for SuspectDevice. K3 is my regular rainy day ride and about the only place around where I miss gears. Particularly the big ring.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I got me some.
Access commuter: 42x16, skinny slicks, getting to work got a whole lot more fun.
Voodoo Wanga: 32x17, sometimes rigid, sometimes not.

Who's riding SSWC05?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Surly 1x1 - free/fixed
Surly Crosscheck - fixed
Kelly Ro Sham bo - free (will be fixed too as soon as I get the cog)
Specialized something (beater/townie) - free

henrymiller

Monkey
May 4, 2002
Denver-A-Go-Go
wooglin said:
Now that's something you don't see every day. Assuming the filename is descriptive, how'd you wind up with that?

Edit: And a pic for SuspectDevice. K3 is my regular rainy day ride and about the only place around where I miss gears. Particularly the big ring.
I could of swore the file name was "http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69284&stc=1&thumb=1". But if you must know, it's by a one man east coast builder, with two different color eyes and some of the best welds in the business. I am not sure if we are thinking of the same builder?

If we are, I will share the long story on how I got the bike. :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
henrymiller said:
I could of swore the file name was "http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69284&stc=1&thumb=1". But if you must know, it's by a one man east coast builder, with two different color eyes and some of the best welds in the business. I am not sure if we are thinking of the same builder?

Yeah who is the builder of that frame? It looks sweet!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
MMcG said:
Damn that thing is sharp - you like the Explosif over the Blur do you Echo?
Well they both hold a special place in my heart :p but I really love the singlespeed, so light, so simple, so fast, so fun!

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
henrymiller said:

First name Tom I think? Lives in NH, or maybe MA? Lets hear it.

Edit: Wait. Its Ted. Ted Wojcik.

xl_cheese

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
MMcG said:
Is that a 2005 Explosif frame??? If so you've gotta give me some ride impressions of it. What size is it? Do you have geometry numbers for it?

yep 05. I took it out saturday morning for a 3.5hr ride. I really don't have anything to compare it to since I've been a fs rider for about 6 years. So running rigid is a whole different experience.

It wasn't as harsh as I thought. It did feel like riding a wild bull down some of the techie descents.

The fork (kona p2 disc only) dropouts weren't even so I had to sand away on one side so the wheel sat in there straight. The ft disc brake tabs need to be faced because clamping down the ft wheel causes the caliper to move slightly making the pad a lil crooked.

The rear tabs also need facing. Not sure if the frame or rear hub is outta spec, but there's not much I can do to fix the brake rub until then. I guess I can toss in another wheel to see if it is the frame.

The wheelset came out pretty good. I built it up with a paul word disc qr rear and a Real front. Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7 spokes alloy nip on dt disc rims. Those are the nicest rims I've ever built with.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
wow, i don't have any pictures of my Inbred.

imagine an 853 Inbred (rigid, of course) with SD7s levers and calipers, Flak Jackets, Rasta headset, Thomson stem, PX bar, PX post, white Selle saddle, Kingzzzzzz laced to DTs, a High Roller in front, and a Larsen TT in the rear.

jace

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
md/va
Henry, nice Teddy - sold mine to a fellow monkey not long ago to help finance my new SS - only about two weeks away from delivery now!

Here's my current identity-crisis ride, unfortunately also for sale:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
My digicam is Bunk but I love my SS...

Surly Karate Monkey Medium
Surly fork
Ritchey WCS headset
Surly Disc hubs w/ Bonti Maverick disc rims
Race face turbine cranks
32/ 18 gearing
KMC BMX chain
Time Alum Pedals
Avid Mech Discs
FI'ZI:K Nisene Cow saddle
Titec post
Jones H-Bar
Easton 50 stem 110
Oury grips
Kenda Klaws 2.1
Planet bike 9.0 ' puter

Still looking for a retro green ano front skewer... Got one ?

May 20, 2004
Here's mine

2004 Haro Werks S/S frame with EBB
Dimension fork
Cane Creek headset
Thomson seatpost & stem
XT hubs,crank & bottom bracket
SRAM PC-58 chain
Salsa ring and guard
Shimano DX cassette cog (32X16 gearing)
959 pedals
Hayes HFX-9 brakes
Velocity rims
Fizik saddle
Titec Flat tracker handlebar
WTB Weirwolf 2.5 front tire
Fire XC rear tire
Salsa skewers

Mucho lotsa fun to ride.

NSAID

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
Austin
Surly 1x1 rigid fork
Cane Creek headset
XTR cranks
Shimano DX cassette cog (38x16)
Surly TugNut/Bottle Opener
Avid V-brakes
spot hubs and rims
synchros bar and seat post
Klein DeathGrip tires
Mallet M (Orange) pedals

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Some nice looking rigs out there. Mine is a Dean Private, one of the last steel frames they made under the Dean name before going/merging?? with Ionic. Anyways here are the specs and pic right here.

Absolutely love this ride. It is taut. All rigid all the time :devil:

Mike

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Here's mine:

2002 Chameleon
2000 Z1 5 inch

A bit burly, use it for everything.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Built up the Surly last night and took it on a urban adventure with some guys from dcstreet.com.

It really will be my XC bike, so Time pedals will be going on it soon and the saddle will be moved back up. .. but I wanted to post a couple pix (crappy/blurry ones) but you get the idea.

Spec'd so far...

Frame: Surly 1x1
Hubs: Paul
Rims: DT Swiss
Cranks:Profile Race Euro
Bars:Easton Monkey Lite (temporary - too short)
Headset:Cheap Aheadset
Grips:Salsa Jaleponos
Tires:WTB 2.4 Moto Raptors

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ya know what kicks ass? I was looking around my garage today and I found an old BMX wheel with a 16T freewheel on it. So now I can be a "real" singlespeeder at 2:1...