Quantcast

Single Speed Roll Call !!!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Bearmntpicnic said:
dear single speeders, I my self own a single speed on one inbred. The post in this forum was by a not so friendly friend of mine who had his account deleted and asked if he could post some things in the buy sell forum. apparently his mind wonderd, my apologies.

Who the hell was it that posted that Charley? It was obvious to me it wasn't you.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Thanks to a big sale at Nashbar, a 20% off coupon posted by RideMonkey, and a bunch of spare parts, I got myself a Singlespeed.
Here is the stuff I had to buy, the rest I had as spare parts. Actually my neighbor gave me a set of wheels and brake levers.

$35 for Nashbar Frame
$8 Ritchey Headset
$12 Nashbar clipless pedals
$16 Nashbar SS conversion Kit
$15 New springs for my old Rock Shox Judy
$11 New SRAM Chain
$15 New Rear Tire

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
arboc! said:
dope budget build dude
Thanks,

Actually the think I'm most proud of is the Fork. It's an old 1997 Rock Shox DH (for Down Hill). The elastomers were pretty much frozen. I ordered a NOS spring kit for a 1998 Judy on ebay. I took the shock apart and overhauled everything, I got rid of the rubber boots, I painted the lowers black and trimmed the decals down. The fork now is better than it ever was, and it actually looks good.

Nov 4, 2003
White Industries cranks BG? Looks like its ready for some baby heads here in Rothrock. All of the trails from the SSWC05 are now open again, after logging and the fire. The trees burned but the rocks didn't.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Agentorangemen said:
White Industries cranks BG?
Yup, I have no love for splined cranks.

Looks like its ready for some baby heads here in Rothrock. All of the trails from the SSWC05 are now open again, after logging and the fire. The trees burned but the rocks didn't.
Glad to hear the fire didn't cause the rocks to form a lava-flow to wipe out Boalsburg. :) I'm looking forward to riding there again. PM me your number and I'll give you a call next time I'm the area.

yah like, you got drawings on your bikes bike rak?

thanks mano:picsstfu:

Klein Attitude from 1993,,,Full Rigid...

I race it at Mammoth lakes downhill in 1995 with gears but no forks

this day is one of 3 single speed bikes I have

Custum made Xt hub body(much stronger interface plus "grease guard ready"), ussing a 6speedLX cassete(since the heat treatment on the XT is very dificult to machine) and a Bottom bracket treaded locknut to hold the cogs in place(the cheap 6 speed feature a treaded surface on the top that can be use to tread lockrings or originally a 13T sprocket ) CERO dish on the wheel makes it super strong and able to change single cogsets in a Hurry

Little safety wire work to hold the chain ring bolts from coming losee,,much better than locktyde if you ask me,,,
Oh 180MM cranks RULE!!!!!!!

resting after a little ride

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
LOL

hey feller. ... is that a brooks saddle? did you see current issue of bicycling where this random guy finds along a street in NYC a bike with a take me sign.... yeah, 70's vintage raliegh with campy and 521 renoylds tubing...

complete restore pic... is cool.

how you been? ops! :monkeydance:
hell yeah man, retro is now!

Good to see ya here, please post more in the lounge. I hope you, your kid and your bikes are doing well.

hell yeah man, retro is now!

Good to see ya here, please post more in the lounge. I hope you, your kid and your bikes are doing well.
had been on a 10 month project then an 11 month project ... now between major projects so hence the dropping in here.

kid is 10, doing great. my S.O. and I got a good little hucker for her 11 yr old boy, we have been out and about a lot but not enough on bikes... have a half built rocky mountain team... pending getting another good contract ... u know the drill... so, just have the single, a roadi a big hit, and a half built xc.. all vintage.:pirate2:

SSHT

Chimp
Aug 2, 2007
It's pretty much stock, but switched to single speed when the chain hopped the ring off of a 3' drop and I broke my knee. It was tough with the stupid vertical dropouts, and I didn't want a chain tensioner, so I used all half-links on the chain and it worked out superbly.
28x12.

Attachments

jh4rt

Chimp
Dec 6, 2007
#1 : 99 Yo! - 34:20 - XT 175mm cranks - Eno Erik hub - Fox Vanilla RLC 125 (80mm travel).

#2 91 Yo! - 32:20 - Middleburn 180mm cranks - Eno Erik hub - Right now actually apart awaiting front end retrofit of Groovy Ho! Down fork (needed longer steerer to work with Mary Bars) I'll post another pic when it is done.

I'm actually sharing a wheelset between them until I can afford a second one....;-)

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Nice Hooligan - how much travel on that Sherman?
Thanks. 90 or 130mm. I was riding it rigid but my wrist just cant handle it. The Sherman was the only thing I had lying around to throw on. I'd like to find something lighter with maybe 100 or 115mm of travel.

We got about 6 inches of snow here last night so no ride today.

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
Yo Eddy:
super nice frame, have not seen one those in years. great choice in fork too. overall VERY sweet rig you built there!
STEEL IS REAL