Quantcast

Single Speed Roll Call !!!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I measured it at 13".

Since these pics were taken I've swapped out the 780mm bars for a pair of 720's with a bit more rise and traded the ENO's to a friend for his SLX crankset.

I'm running 32x20 and everything is starting to feel dialed in.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Converted my bike to a singlespeed last year.
Cove Hummer with Talas forks
Hope M4 front brakes Hope mono mini rear on Hope hubs, Dt double butted laced to Mavic 32h rims.
Running a 16/32 with XT cranks and Crank Bros pedals.

the wheel set is a lil over built for me so it's a bit heavy, but I wanted trail survivable wheels.... Walking home sucks ya know! ;)

All up weight is 22.5

314_23195183219_4610_n.jpeg

Flyin_W

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
Now living outside DC, and find a rigid SS to be perfect for the nearby singletrack.

'10 Kona Unit, ODIS fork, e.13, Flow's on Hope's.
:confused: [not snow, a nearby golf club faux pas.]

Last edited:

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia

Because no one cares but everyone wants to know, the spec's:

Frame/Fork: Kona Explosif/Salsa Cromoto
Hubs and Headset: CK
Brakes: Avid Juicy Seven
Stem: Easton Mg60
Bars: Easton Monkey Lite XC
Cranks: XTR
Seatpost: Moots Ti
Seat: WTB something
Cog/Chainring: CK/Black Spire
Bottom Bracket: ****ted out Deore
Grips: ODI something
Tires: Conti Race Kings
Rims: Mavic XC 717

Where the **** are all the SS'ers in this place?

Last edited:

Flyin_W

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
Where the **** are all the SS'ers in this place?

Yeah monz, seems we've landed on a DH's & DJ's island paradise.
Anyone else out there enjoy grinding & mashing while your friends spinny, spin, spin?
Oh & pix = this

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
Damn you for posting that in the GT Forum! Just read through it. Sexy. I remember you posting the instructions for that head badge. So has it been your main ride since or do you ride the Agressor more?

marpilli

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Damn you for posting that in the GT Forum! Just read through it. Sexy. I remember you posting the instructions for that head badge. So has it been your main ride since or do you ride the Agressor more?
I've been giving it only 1/3 of my love. :) I'm still riding the geared bike most of the time. But, the SS has taught me a lot and I'm now faster/more accurate on my geared bike. Mostly balance and the ability to mash the pedals without spinning out the wheel.

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
Is that "teh carbonz"?

Marp, I think that is one of the biggest benefits of SS, the ability to feel when traction is being lost and to adjust pressure/weight distribution near instantly and accordingly to regain traction and finish the climb.

Last edited:

marpilli

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Is that "teh carbonz"?

Marp, I think that is one of the biggest benefits of SS, the ability to feel when traction is being lost and to adjust pressure/weight distribution near instantly and accordingly to regain traction and finish the climb.
Is there a term for that? I've tried to describe it to my geared buddies; but, it's hard to explain. On my geared bike, I don't shift as much as I previously did. In the past I'd shift to a lower gear on any climb or incline. Now I usually leave it in gear, stand, and work my way up. It's been a huge benefit on technical climbs where I needed to be out of the saddle in order to move my bike around and over the obstacles.

marpilli

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I don't think there's a term for it, at least I haven't come across one. Let's make one up. SS traction differential. How's that sound?
Hmmm... I've seen it usually referred to as "stand and mash" the pedals. But, it's much more then that. When i re-discovered riding and I would stand and mash my geared bike on a climb, I'd lose traction every time. I taught myself to switch to a low gear and sit and spin up the inclines. Worked pretty well for the geared.

That option wasn't available on the SS. ;) I had to learn how to lean the bike from side to side (row boat it with the long bar) and apply pressure at the right time on the pedal to maintain traction and keep moving up the hill without spinning out.

I can now do it on my geared bike (in a really low gear) and climb stuff I couldn't using the sit-and-spin method.

Some term that incorporates the idea of stand-and-mash with using your bars for leverage while paying attention to the amount of force on the pedals to maintain traction. I'll have to mull that one over for a couple of days...

Flyin_W

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
Having SSTD sounds risky, yet I know exactly that feeling you mention.
Rigid SS has made me more aware of that fine line between a 2 wheel drift, and a total wash out.
Also notice, when riding gears that I shift far less often, still grind, but rarely mash.
Standing on a F/S, even w/ lockouts is no party.

Burnt-Orange

Monkey
Jan 5, 2013
I was lucky to find a terralogic fork used for my single speed
I run it full lock out
it usually only opens up in the roots
I wish fox would still make them
one thing I leared with my single speed is to lay off the brakes
keeping the momentom is everthing

Flyin_W

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
... I run it full lock out it usually only opens up in the roots...
On roots, do you unlock it, or is it on auto pilot?
Didn't know one could be run on full lock out w/o doing damage.
Had only Reba's (on F/S), and thought RS warns against ^ this,
so unless climbing it's open.

Last edited:

Burnt-Orange

Monkey
Jan 5, 2013
it has a 2 once valve that only opens when a force contacts the wheel
and yes monzie I am a sissy for selling my niner fully ridgid fork
I gave up on being cool in middle school when my friend put me head first into a laundry basket and pushed me down the hall
at that moment I realized I would never be a tough guy
I knew I was hopless when even I thought it was funny when the gym teacher pulled me out by my ankles
you can't change your stripes so you might as well laught your ars off

Flyin_W

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
Like the idea of the Terralogic, not the laundry basket, and yes laughter is the best cure.

Flyin_W

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
Hey Monz,
If going tubeless, and wanting to stay with Conti's, I got a trick to help 'em seal w/o weeping*.
Before mounting go buy one of these...

coat both beads & inner sidewalls, and let dry. Set up using tubes to set the bead, then follow the Stan's video.
Have done it now to RK's, Ra-Ra's, Saguaro's, and a Gato with great results. First time I mounted a Ra-Ra tubeless it oozed Stan's for a week.
The non-protection Conti's are much cheaper, and I believe now made in India. For the $$, the Geax tires, used on the rear only, have also been winners. Being 210#, I prefer the big grippy ones.
*(Use Flows, and run reg. or TL Ready tires tubeless, not the UST types.)

Jan 15, 2013
Props to you guys going rigid, I had the Terralogic and a SID RT3 on the SS last year. They were OK, switched out to the Manitou Tower Pro and the bike rides perfect. Love the absolute + on it. With the flip of the dial can set it for different blow of points for different trails. Will try to post a pic later of it.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
18 months later the only parts that made the cut are - Frame, Fork, HS, seat. Still geared 32x20 cause I take it easy!

Frame: Simple Bicycle Co.
Fork: FOX 140mm Float
HS: FSA
Seat: Pure V
clamp: OEM Santa Cruz
Wheels: Flows laced to Brown CK
BB: Green CK
Cranks: 175mm SLX
Chainring: 32t HBC
Brakes: SLX
Bars: Answer protaper AM carbon
Stem: Chromag 50mm
Pedals: Answer Rove
Grips: ODI TLD

Last edited:

bikerack

Chimp
Jan 5, 2015
Well they both hold a special place in my heart :) but I really love the singlespeed, so light, so easy, so fast, so fun!

ManxMonkey

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Better late to the party than never, I suppose...
Singular Hummingbird up in the hills last Sunday. My favourite bike, without a shadow of a doubt.
Hummingbird---Slieau-Curn.jpg

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Small inbred.jpg

Dont know if I shared this with you fuggers...On One Inbred (Cletus) w/ Durin R80, 16/32 gearing...with the the most considerate tree in San Antonio.

Have since swapped bars out for some Haven carbons, and a 90mm Deus stem...and a better seat. Hated that thing, irritated me bum like my ex.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
There's a new SS in the stable. Same brown CK hubs, this time with a 142x12 axle. Otherwise a new bike, an XL 650b Transam. Fork is an Xfusion Sweep @ 140mm. The hubs are laced to 471's. Not enough time on the cranks and pedals to give a review. So far so good, it seems like a fun bike.

14481.jpeg

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Cutting straight to the chase here, I'd like to run at least 6, and ideally 7 speed, on a dish less hub, 135mm QR. Geared SS seems the most obvious choice. Some of the key players (Hope, Hadley) are surprisingly heavy, or generally a pain (DT Swiss: kind of heavy, centrelock only, hard to get), so I was looking in the direction of I9.

Any other recommendations?

Cheers.