Quantcast

single speed

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
I have a single speed/commuter bike that has vertical that I use with an old XT rear derailluer to tension the chain. My question is, is there any reason to get a single speed chain tensioning device(ie surly singulator) over my old derailluer? Thanks

WebCyclery

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Beautiful Bend, OR
Nope. Your derailleur will work just fine. The singleator is a little lighter, and looks cleaner, and gives you the option to push the chain up instead of down, but it's more of a want than a need. If you want to spend extra cash, I say go for it.

R

RideMonkey

Not for a commuter. The tensioning devices are lighter and lower profile, but that doesnt matter on a commuter.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
I should have mentioned this earlier, but about 30% of the miles on the bike are from trail riding. I use this bike on the trails for training, and to try really technical terrain. This is because I don't want to destroy race bike because I wanted to take the more difficult line. Knowing this does that change anything. I would like to be able to use no chain tensioner, but because of the dual usage of this bike I change the rear cog quite often. I will switch from a 13 for commuting to a 16 or 18 for trail riding/going to the local technical park.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
you may just want to stick with a Der. Even a singlator may have trouble taking up the slack when changing gears that far apart. I have a Klein Adroit that I race as a SS, I run a 36x17 with no chain tensioner, I also used the same bike to do some road miles this summer, and a 42x16 fits perfact with out a tensioner as well. For me these are perfact gears for road and offroad, you could do the same without a tensioner if you had two chains of the correct length setup with quick release connectors for the different gear combos.