Quantcast

Single Track vs. 819

Oct 8, 2003
I was wondering the strength of the 819 compared to a single track rim? I have used single tracks in the past and they have always been strong enough for me is a 819 as strong as a single track?

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
819's aren't nearly as strong as Singletracks. If you want a tubeless rim with a comparable weight to the 819's, ZTR Flows are the strongest in their class. Still, you're comparing a 590g rim to a 470g one.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
IMO If your looking to go tubeless, Get the singletracks and drop a stans kit on them, works great, east to set up, and they hold up. I ran stans for a long time, Only reason I am not running it now is One of my strips went bad, and I havent gotten a new set yet.

P.S. i have been running the same set of single tracks for 4 years now with no problems, and I weigh in at 245

Oct 8, 2003
Thanks, I wasn't sure. What I was going to do was use an 823 on the rear and a 819 on the front but I would like a rim that is as strong as a single track. Are the DT 5.1 rims as strong as Single Tracks? I used 823s last year and they are super solid rims but I honestly don't mind going through 4 or maybe 5 rims in a year the 823s are so stong they start too look really old long before they go out of true or even get a flat spot (for me). While all this sounds good I should mention that this is for a race wheel set so I wouldnt mind a lighter wheel at the cost of replacing a rim a couple times.

Oct 8, 2003
I like single tracks a lot and have ran them for a long time same set up as you with the stans strip. I guess I just feel like I want something better (more expensive) as sick as that sounds.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
If you don't mind going through a couple rims a year, ZTR Flows are the way to go. With the 7g yellow tape and Olympic valve stem, they come in a couple hundred grams lighter than the 823's.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If you don't mind going through a couple rims a year, ZTR Flows are the way to go. With the 7g yellow tape and Olympic valve stem, they come in a couple hundred grams lighter than the 823's.
Agreed, if you dont mind spending money, the flow is a decent rim, prety light, the tape system works very well. But for me, There is a fine line between lighter and undependable. Nothing worse than a wheel failure during a race run, which is why I stick to the singletracks, they have proved themselves time and time again for me.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
if you are a real hard turning person be careful with the single tracks, i've personaly blown beads off and i've seen others do it too.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Split the difference between the Singletracks and Flows, and get some DT 5.1s. Lighter than the STs, stronger than the Flows, and just all around good rims. If you want tubeless, go ghetto tubeless with a 20" tube and some Stan's sealant.

Oct 8, 2003
Like you mentioned before the strength of the Flow is close to the Single Track and the Single Track has always been more than strong enough for me. I am only around 155lbs so I usually dont destroy rims, I have even run 3/4 of a race run on a single track with a flat tire at Diablo (very rocky) and still no noticable damage to the rim. I think I'm going to order 2 Flow rims thanks guys.

Oct 8, 2003
I didn't see your post about 5.1s till after I wrote my last one. So you think the 5.1 rim is stronger than the flow? I feel like most people don't like them because they dent really easy?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I didn't see your post about 5.1s till after I wrote my last one. So you think the 5.1 rim is stronger than the flow? I feel like most people don't like them because they dent really easy?
Yeah, I do. I know someone who blew up a pair of Flows in no time, whereas my 5.1s are holding up fine. The bit about denting is internet hearsay. The first batch of 6.1s were soft. They fixed the issue with the subsequent batches, but the e-rumors were on, and pretty soon people were saying that all DT rims are soft. :disgust1: My 5.1s seem to be less dent prone than any rim I've used, discounting Sun Big Fat Mamoths, which are so f'ing heavy that they have enough of a gravitational field to send rocks into orbit around them, thus preventing them from ever actually running into anything.

Oct 8, 2003
Haha thats funny about the big fat mamoths, I have heard that is was a problem with some of the first batch ones so Im sure it is figured out by now. Like I said since it is a race wheel set I want it to be light and the flows and the 5.1 rims are pretty close in weight. I have done the 20in bmx tube tubless conversion with good luck, would it be possible to use the stans tape (not rim strip) and valve on the 5.1 rim? If not what I was thinking about doing was using the 20in tube and putting threads all the way down the valve stem to make it easier to put air in. Any idea what size the threads are on a valve stem?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The stans strips work well in the 5.1s. I run the set up on my AM bike with no issues (with either maxxis or mich single ply non-use tires). While I do not beat on the AM wheels like the DH wheels, I have not found the 5.1 to be overly soft like the early 6.1s were.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
One more thing to take into account, no matter what wheel you decide to use, A good initial build will make or break the wheel. And proper maintance from there on will keep it going strong. The yellow tape itself was intended for use only on the ZTR rims, You would be better off with the rubber strips on the 5.1's. It makes mounting the tire Much, much easier. Also I have never blown/rolled a bead while using the rubber strips, and I have run mine as low as 18lbs before in really sloppy conditions.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
The bit about denting is internet hearsay. The first batch of 6.1s were soft. They fixed the issue with the subsequent batches, but the e-rumors were on, and pretty soon people were saying that all DT rims are soft.

This man speaks the truth

Oct 8, 2003
Thanks for all the input I think I am going to go with the 5.1s over the flows and will make my own rim strips. I know when in the past when I use the 20in tube method that strip has been lighter than a stans strip and much cheaper as well. I just need to figure out what thread size a standard valve is and I will put threads all the way down the valve so I can put a nut on there just to make it easier to inflate.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
My 5.1s seem to be less dent prone than any rim I've used, discounting Sun Big Fat Mamoths, which are so f'ing heavy that they have enough of a gravitational field to send rocks into orbit around them, thus preventing them from ever actually running into anything.
AHHAHAHAAH LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! :clapping:

wow now that i'm done laughing i will leave

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
He... Yea, agree. You will probebly change the rim in the same time as about 5-7 flats on a harder rim, which is pretty ok, even economically. Bonus is no flats.

The 5.1 is VERY soft.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
You could always try and score some old ZTR Freerides, use some 7g tape, and the Olympic valve stem. It would be the same weight as the ghetto 5.1 just stronger, stiffer, and with a tighter bead.

Oct 8, 2003
I liked those old ZTR freerides but I had a friend who dented those thinks like they were made out of butter, and he was a smooth rider.