Quantcast

Single Use Trail In San Diego

the mtn man

Chimp
Dec 6, 2004
poway, california
This has probably been brought up before, but i couldnt find anything in a search. I know that there are many trails in San Diego that are hard to maintain and control, but with all this rains we are getting, there will be ideal dirt, so does anyone want to try and start talking to the land managers, and hopefully get up a single use freeride trail? Obviously, there will not be time to get up a trail before the fresh mud dries out, but were having a very rainy season, and I dont expect this to be the last rain for a while, so why not start the process now, and be ready for the summer, when everything is all dried out, and dusty. Here is a link to a succes story that seems alot like what we could do. http://imba.com/resources/freeriding/freeriding_success.html

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You're talking about a process that will likely take a year to several years, so the fresh dirt of winter isn't a concern, really.

BullitX of SDMBA may have some info for you/us; I know a single-use trail in area was once discussed...we'll see if it's gone anywhere.

MD

MTDBIKE

Chimp
Jan 7, 2004
1/2 FLIGHTLINE
Its hard enough to keep existing cross country trails let alone starting to cut legal new ones. Pontential liability and environmental concerns hinder any new development of trails either on public or private land, besides the dislikes from hikers and equestrians. Freeride trails with ladders, drops, ramps, jumps would make it even much more difficult to develope legally. I'm surprise the halla famer base player playground has lasted so long.

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
I apologize for not responding earlier as I was out of town for the Holidaze.

One of the main reasons it is so difficult to build new trail in our local forests (Federal & State land) are the enviromental and archelogical restrictions, not to mention the lack of budget and manpower for the respective agencies. If we are lucky to get any new trail, it will most likely be multi-use as this gets the most bang for the buck for the land manager. This does NOT mean it can't happen, it will take a concerted effort from the mtb community.

If you wish to discuss this further with me or the Descanso district Trails Ranger join us Saturday.

1. NOBLE CANYON TRAIL WORK - SATURDAY, JANUARY 8

Join SDMBA for trailwork on the lower part of Noble Canyon in the
Laguna Mountains. Meet at 9 am at the lower trailhead in Pine Valley.
After a brief safety meeting we will hike in to the trail work
location.

As usual, bring sturdy shoes, a hat, gardening gloves, eye
protection, water and a snack. It may be cold so dress appropriately.

From San Diego: Take I-8 East to Pine Valley Exit, left on Old Hwy 80
and right on Pine Creek Road. Go straight at the first junction and
enter the trailhead parking lot on the right.

Please RSVP to mark@sdmba.com.