Quantcast

singleators?

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
what do you people think of the surly? Right now im running my trek 6500 with a 36/18 but it is to high for some of the hills around here so im going to run it either 34/18 or 32/16. since my chainline right now is perfect, I will need a singleator when I change chainrings...so...my lbs has the surly's in stock and I was wondering what ya'll thaught about them.

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
I've ran it before and it is a nice tensioner. Few different options to tension the chain pushing it up or down. The only thing is that you have to be careful when adjusting the tension, there is a spring inside that is somewhat delicate. If you over-tension it you can break it fairly easy. Then you have to order a new spring that's like 8-12 bucks plus shipping or something like that. Let your lbs put it on for you when you buy it cause you'll need a cone wrench to set the tension.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
FYI: 32X16 is the same as running 36x18.

There is something called "the rule of 4" that says if you change your total number of teeth by 4 you should still be able to run without a tensioner. So, you might try 32x18 and see if it works. Read this

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
i see these single speed posts pop up every once in a while but not many people mention the Rennen Rollenlager...every seems to settle for the Surly Singulator even though IMO its a p.o.s.

Surly
1. It only mounts to the derailleur hanger for one, which puts all the stress on the hanger if you nail it on a rock or try and grind on it (wouldnt recommend it!) so you are more likely to ruin the derailleur hanger.
2. Its made to push down on the chain, and like someone said (never heard of it this before) apparently you can ruin the torsional spring inside. So if it is set up to be pushing down on the chain and the tensioner is impacted from the bottom, you'll lose all tension in the chain.
3. Ugly

Surly Price ~$55

Rennen Rollenlager
1. Mounts to the QR axle and the hanger, putting a huge majority of the stress on the axle instead of the hanger drop out.
2. Pushes up on the chain, therefore the chain also takes more of the stress off the hanger during impacts.
3. Designed for park use and abuse. Ive seen guys grind on these with no problem at all, and not to mention itll protect your chainstays if you do grind on that side.
3. Rider owned company.
4. Fun to say.

Rollenlager $50

Go Rollenlager.... You'll be happy you did. :)

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
also you might be able to get good chain tension with a half-link, though i think they're pretty hard to get if you are running a 3/32 chain (spicer cycles sell them though).

but by all means run a singleator, i've used one for about a year and a half without much problem. make sure you get both springs with it. it's shipped with the push down spring in it, but depending on your chainstays i would recommend using the push up spring as it gives you better chain wrap around the cog. (it's not particularly difficult to change the springs around)

as for setting it up, it's not hard to do as long you don't over-torque the spring. also get an 18mm cone spanner if you don't have one, because it'll make life so much easier when you want to adjust tension.

:dancing:

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
thanks everyone and ya, I meant 32/18 but I Think i can get away with a 34/18. the reason im saying a surly is cause I can get it new for 25 or I can get a used godspeed for 10...

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I'm with gunner on this one. I was running the rennen and love it I've had no problems at all with it, the only reason it's not on my bike anymore is because i found the perfect # link's so i wouldn't need to run a tensioner