Quantcast

Singlespeed Cassette Disc Hubs

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
alrighty, let's just go ahead and get this over with; a running list of SS cassette disc hubs (post a pic or 2, as well, from the website [unless it's Hadley]). i'll go ahead and start with the hubs i own, not to mention the cream of the crop:

next......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

heavy tho!

nashbar ss disc:
WT: 649g
Flange to center
34mm Right
38mm Left
i don't see how these measurements are possible, but if true then the ss hub actually has a narrower flange width than the xt...

xt disc for comparison:
weight----------- 432g (36H with skewer) by tech
dimension-------- flange diameter=45mm, center to flange left=30mm
center to flange right=45.8mm

May 23, 2004
manch vegas
i ride a woodman, ss -cassette-bolt on hub......its the best hub i could find for the $, and have beat the living sh** out of it riding, urban, dirt, trails, u name it................best hub for the $.....
kyle

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
same here. the woodman hub rocks for the money. i ride really hard and i'm a big guy(240) and this hub has given me no problems at all. 6' to flat, 10' to tranny, dj, park, street, you name it the hub has lasted through it

jace

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
md/va
For the record - The Woodman, Nashbar, and Novatec hubs are all identical and clones of the Planet-X, which was originally designed by Brant from On-One. Strong, heavy, cheap. Slow to engage though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
jace said:
For the record - The Woodman, Nashbar, and Novatec hubs are all identical and clones of the Planet-X, which was originally designed by Brant from On-One. Strong, heavy, cheap. Slow to engage though.
this is good info, thanks for posting this. out of those vendors i bet nashbar has the lowest price... ?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Go check out the True Precision Stealth hub. The engagement blows away most of the competetion and it has a ISO (6 bolt) disc mount not to mention, they're silent.

True Precision

You might have to search around, it looks like they've changed their website. I found it under the BMX listings and then scrolled down.
*edit: it's in their online catalog.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
jace said:
The Nashbar hubs are on sale now for $35.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jace said:
Dude, you're trippin! Look at the logos - they're totally different...

Woodman:

Nashbar:

Novatec:

On-one:

:rolleyes:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Heath Sherratt said:
Phil Wood, Dt Swiss, American Classic.
The DT Swiss says that it's compatible with Shimano Centerlock Discs. Does that mean it won't work with IS 6-bolt?

I think Phil Wood only does freewheel-type hubs not cassette types, right?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
BikeGeek said:
The DT Swiss says that it's compatible with Shimano Centerlock Discs. Does that mean it won't work with IS 6-bolt?

I think Phil Wood only does freewheel-type hubs not cassette types, right?
I have the DT Swiss. It is centerlock, but they sell a sweet adapter that allows you to use 6 bolt rotors. You can check it out sometime if you want.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
One thing that confuses me about the Novatec/Woodman/On-One/Nashbar hub is reported weight. Speedgoat lists the Novatec at 640g, the Woodman at 460g, and Nashbar lists theirs as 649g. I picked up a Nashbar hub and it's an anchor. Without cog, spacers, and nuts, it's around 550g. Weird, considering they're all supposed to be the same hub.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I have the Profile SS cassette disk hub. It's nice. I don't know how to post pictures, but it's at www.profileracing.com. Titanium cassette body, super tight tolerances, nice machine work. I won't say it's quite on par with the King, but it's definitely one of the cream of the crop. Had I known about that Nasbar hub, I probably would have bought one of those instead, even though I got a sweet deal on the Profile. I rarely buy parts this nice. In fact, I think it's the single nicest bike part I've ever owned.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Enginerd A2 said:
I have the Profile SS cassette disk hub. It's nice. I don't know how to post pictures, but it's at www.profileracing.com. Titanium cassette body, super tight tolerances, nice machine work. I won't say it's quite on par with the King, but it's definitely one of the cream of the crop. Had I known about that Nasbar hub, I probably would have bought one of those instead, even though I got a sweet deal on the Profile. I rarely buy parts this nice. In fact, I think it's the single nicest bike part I've ever owned.

at 260.00$ it better be nice! damn i need a decent cassette ss hub. one thats preferably cheap. :nopity:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Wow, that's nuts! It says you can put a 9 tooth cog on that beast.... It doesn't look like it has any ability to adjust chainline though.

At $260, it's really not bad considering most other high end cassette single speed hubs are more than that at cost.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
More info on the Novatec/Woodman/Nashbar/On-One/etc. hubs: For the vertical dropout crowd, I've read you can get a QR axle from Woodman that works with the lot of them.

update, 8 Feb: according to Woodman, the "Bill RSQ" axle can be ordered through BTI.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
My next wheels will be Am. Classic. Cheap, light, and pretty good for XC/Trail use. DTs look nice. Hadleys are too damn expensive, as are Kings. Otherwise I'd be on one of them.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Bicyclist said:
My next wheels will be Am. Classic. Cheap, light, and pretty good for XC/Trail use. DTs look nice. Hadleys are too damn expensive, as are Kings. Otherwise I'd be on one of them.
I thought about the Am Classics, but read more bad reviews than good. It sounds like the bearing life is crap and their customer service is equally bad. Bearings can be replaced, but at that price, they shouldn't have to be.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Does anybody know how many engagement points are on the Novatech/others hubs? I can't decide whether I should really throw down and get a profile or hadley, or if I should save my bread and get one of those generic setups.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Spitfired said:
Does anybody know how many engagement points are on the Novatech/others hubs? I can't decide whether I should really throw down and get a profile or hadley, or if I should save my bread and get one of those generic setups.
I had mine apart last night. It looked like six pawls arranged in pairs, so three engagement points.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
BikeGeek said:
I had mine apart last night. It looked like six pawls arranged in pairs, so three engagement points.

Your math is a it off. A hub with 3 engagement points would be unrideable.
It has more to do with how many teeth are on the cassette body for the pawls to engage.
The woodman feels decent. It's no hadley, but it feels better than an XT.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
buildyourown said:
It has more to do with how many teeth are on the cassette body for the pawls to engage.
I stand corrected...makes sense.

Spitfired: if you need the name, go for the Woodman/Novatec/On-One, they're all about $100. To save some real money, the Nashbar is the same hub and is currently $35.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Just a bit of an update - Us Draco boys are going to be building all our personal Park Ave frames so we're going to do a big old order for our parts. Looks like we'll be running profile hubs with their 9t driver. I guess we're going to make some 18 tooth front sprockets for the micro-est micro drive ever!
Should be all setup around the end of next month.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I've got the WTB SS disc hub. Has fun bolt style bolts and is light as poot. Engagement is slow and the hub has a stupid lock-ring type retention system using a cheap ass lock ring...

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
Mackie, those actually are different. going by the front hub in that pic i'd say they are made by formula, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

NPJ 14mm axle, takes shimano splined cogs, comes stock with a 13t cog, if i'm reading correctly. http://www.npj-dirtbikes.de/parts.php <-dead link for the mo, they are re-doing the site.

same deal different design
http://staticbikes.co.uk/14hub.php

i'll report back later on the number of engagement points on the Brant hub, i'll have to take the hub apart first. BTW Velocity also uses the same hub in their singlespeed wheelset.