Quantcast

Singlespeed guys

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've got a line on an old inbred SS frame, and I've got a large parts bin to draw from in order to build it up. I could use a bike to ride to the gym (a couple miles away) or to go to the bar, and also to work (6 miles away, not very hilly). I've never done the singlespeed thing, and am usually one of the guys who has to have the newest dumbest **** on his bike, but I'm wondering whether singlespeeding is actually fun, or if it's just something people do when they're bored. I already have a nice "mountain" bike, and a nice road bike, and a dirt jumper. I don't like the idea of locking up my high end bikes at the bar, and the dirt jumper is going to be mental to ride any longer than 10 ft.

ps, I know there's a forum, but post #3 is from like 2012.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love my SS. :D

My gym is only 2 miles away and there is a skate park and bmx track across the street.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I love mine, climbs like a goat and descends like a scalded cat. They are stiffer overall due to teh narrow rear end, simple to ride and easy to maintain. Easy, easy, easy...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got a line on an old inbred SS frame, and I've got a large parts bin to draw from in order to build it up. I could use a bike to ride to the gym (a couple miles away) or to go to the bar, and also to work (6 miles away, not very hilly). I've never done the singlespeed thing, and am usually one of the guys who has to have the newest dumbest **** on his bike, but I'm wondering whether singlespeeding is actually fun, or if it's just something people do when they're bored. I already have a nice "mountain" bike, and a nice road bike, and a dirt jumper. I don't like the idea of locking up my high end bikes at the bar, and the dirt jumper is going to be mental to ride any longer than 10 ft.

ps, I know there's a forum, but post #3 is from like 2012.
except for the run of a dozen sh*tty used DH bikes you went through :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
except for the run of a dozen sh*tty used DH bikes you went through :rofl:

the difference between some of the old beaters I had and the new fancy stuff was a few patents and a half a degree. I've got a goofy lefty, 650b, brand new xt hydros on my trail bike...road is a ti frame with carbonz wheels.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
It's super fun- flowy trails with short climbs and descents seemed the most fun to me. Makes you look at riding differently. I miss mine; it was canabalized for a different build that has since been sold :(

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
I love my singlespeed. So much that I haven't ridden my FS Turner for over a year. So much that I had one custom built for my 50th birthday.

I think they are more fun than geared bikes, somehow more "Zen". You're like a kid again, just riding, not thinking about what gear you should be in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

the difference between some of the old beaters I had and the new fancy stuff was a few patents and a half a degree. I've got a goofy lefty, 650b, brand new xt hydros on my trail bike...road is a ti frame with carbonz wheels.
i was pointing out the irony of the gap between what he says and what he does. and he's also the first to call the waaahhhhhmbulance every time there's a new "standard"

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You've got the parts needed to fill what seems like a gaping hole in your quiver - a practical beater you don't have to worry about when you lock it up. You are a huge bike nerd yet you've never ridden a singlespeed, so for the rest of your life you won't be able to speak from experience when the subject comes up.

Do it, ride it, and if you don't like one gear, you can pick up a cheap internally-geared wheel down the road. Honestly, this is a no brainer.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hows that yakuza working out for you? :busted:
aside from the turdburglar friend of a friend who sold it to me, it would have been fine. Long TT, low BB, slack HA, linear rate high pivot suspension. It's just a shame it was made in the worst factory in all of mainland china. No bondo on it though, slight upgrade from the sunday I had.

I ride the hell out of mine and never have any problems at all.

what fork is that? That's pretty much what I would strive for, my parts bin would fill out everything but a fork and cranks, it's looking like.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
SS on my DJ and i ride everything from mellow single track, to places like rockville (herra rocks).. i also ride a fair amount of street, and some park when im feeling up to it. when i get reallllly bored, ill just go out and ride it a couple of miles in one direction.

the added simplicity is nice.. once you find a gear you like, you'll be good to go.

edit:
before i forget, i always use 1/8" drive train stuff as well, more or less for added piece of mind. i always see people using 10 spd chains, rings, and cogs (old friend still has 10 spd SS stuff on his dj and its always popping off). never understood why..

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
They are fun. Ridden some SS mountain bikes that buddies have. Had a SS commuter for a while. You can get away with a lot taller gearing on the street with narrow road tires, especially with limited climbing. As far as the mtb goes, get used to standing. It takes a little getting used to either pedaling or walking. There's nothing in between. It also makes you flow trails a bit better at speed since once you get going at a good pace, you can't really pedal fast enough to accelerate.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Let me save you some time, just buy this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K2-Proflex-4000-Single-Speed-Bicycle-Bike-20-Frame-RETAIL-2100-00-15-/251346700772?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3a856e49e4

All the simplicity and "challenge" of a single speed, combined with the comfort and reliability of a single pivot. A single speed single pivot (SSSP) if you will. Plus, it probably has less frame cracks than your Yakuza and certainly less chain growth issues.
Damn... RM once again comes full circle.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's just a different style of riding. If you're going to ride it just on the road you'll want higher gearing than if you're going to ride it on singletrack. I raced a bunch of dirt 100 milers this year on my SS hardtail, gearing 32/20. My SS commuter is 50/17 I think.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
My single speed is a commuter but I love doing laps around the lake on it. There is a zen like quality to just getting on a bike and riding. I can typically get my hour lap done with 1 or 2 stops, occasionally I get the light right and can do the 12 miles non stop. 42x16.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Gear it high and ride straight past the gym to the hills and do some upper body on the bike, gyms are for homos in festival singlets.