Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's pretty ugly but I like the low BB. Won't the seat be awfully close to the tyre at bottom out?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
That company strikes me as so odd. While theres no doubt they make great bikes, they seem to have no ryhme or reason as to what they make. Single pivots, linkage, faux-bars, ultra confusing questionable multilinks...doesn't seem to matter. no real design loyalty.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I think the straightforward single pivot is a good idea, as is making a dh bike with a similar design to their freeride/trail bike. But whoever gave it that lame name needs to pull their head out of 2002 and come up with something a little better; same for the 'interview' that goes it. the whole f-you, trying to be obnoxious attempt at humor is a worn out cliche.

Last edited:

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
That company strikes me as so odd. While theres no doubt they make great bikes, they seem to have no ryhme or reason as to what they make. Single pivots, linkage, faux-bars, ultra confusing questionable multilinks...doesn't seem to matter. no real design loyalty.
There are no Sinister Faux bars...and the Splinter is just a Single pivot with adjustable geo...it can be confusing to look at but it's easy to understand once you see work or ride it. The VST linkage...dear god, That thing still befuddles me and I've ridden it and had the full demonstration by Frank LOL!

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
knowing sinister it won't be cheap but it really looks somewhat like a slightlier overbuilt yakuza...

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Keep in mind this is just the first proto of the frame, I am sure that the production version will have some refinements and changes. This one was built to test the design, angles, ride, etc.
+ light weight, I have heard less than 10 lbs WITH coil shock
+ low bottom bracket height
+ low stand over
+ single pivot = you don't have a ton bearings to change when rebuild time comes, also lighter.
+1.5 headtube for zero stack

Just about all of FTW's downhill bikes have been single pivots of one type or another: spooky project x, R9, splinters.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Pivot location is very similar. . . and I expect you could buy a complete yakuza for less than the sinister frame. No comparison in terms of quality though, the sinisters I've seen are super solid.

Think I'll keep my Kumicho for now tho.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I like it. I have always liked single pivots, and my new Gruitr is no exception. I like the look and low-slung geometry of the F-Bomb. Looking forward to hearing Dane's thoughts on the handling.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The entire frame is hand welded by FTW? Something about the swingarm just doesn't resemble franks style to me.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Armchair Engineers abound today Eh? FTW might just know a thing or two about designing and building a bike...and doing it here in North America ;)

That said, everything looks like everything...maybe Frank should have welded a skull into the chassis. At least then it wouldn't "look" like anything else LOL.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
To reiterate, this is the first run proto, only frame of it's kind right now. This first batch will be merely a test run just like any other companies first run proto's.
The entire frame was handmade by FTW in the VT "factory" and will be a handmade production frame here in VT.

The frame comes in right now at 8lbs with rear shock. The build that you see in the pic is right around the 40lb mark and that is with DH tubes, ADD wheelset, crap tires and seat, etc.
New boxxer, light race wheelset, tube or tubeless, seattube and saddle, and a sunline setup in front will easily get you right around the 37-38.5lb mark for a DH race bike. If that doesn't tingle your man bits right there then I don't know what will.

The frame looks sick in person. There will be changes made for sure and definitely for the better, just look at what the gruitr turned into.

The rear swingarm assy on the R9 was a royal pain in the ass to make Frank told me. This one is much easier to make and still has the characteristics of the R9 one.

There should NEVER be a question of "is this a good bike or not", etc. If you know anything about Frank and a Frank the Welder bike of any kind you know that it is top quality, super reliable, damn near impossible to break, most fun to ride machine out there.
20+ years of experience shows in this new frame and it will be a definite success.

Oh and I can't wait to get mine. I will be doing a full report on it during testing, throughout the entire process all the way up to production and I will be doing the same on the production rig as well so look out for those.

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
RUFUS - Nice words.

I became an FTW/Sinister fan with my Gruitr. I am sure this machine will turn out to be a terrific addition.

Oh and those not liking the frame name:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Reminds me of a cdale gemini, at least the front traingle. Odd saddle position (looks like the top tube is super short but front center is normal), and I hate the way it looks...BUT...it looks like a good pure-race bike. That being said, 8lbs with shock is terrifying to me. Thin walled aluminum and lack of gussets makes it a one-season bike with no resale value. Most of my trail bikes have had heavier frames.

edit: after looking at it, I think i'd get on board if the pivot was located at the front of the swingarm, where the chainstay and front of the rear triangle meet.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
size small and to quote Bruce, "P-R-O-T-O and not done yet"
It is not a 100% design.
Give them some time to develop and test and changes will be made for the better both aesthetically as well as performance based.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
hopefully this proto will be just as successful as the r9 was. wish i still had mine. even though the glory is nice the 9 was pure rails and balls.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ok dudes, it's a proto, but 9 times out of 10 the production is just like the proto aside from a few tweaks like geometry, machining, and hardware. Rarely is everything scrapped and restarted from scratch...aside from maybe the VST or whatever it was called.

Adamski

Chimp
Nov 17, 2008
Got to say it "LOOKS FLEXY!!!!" :D
Aside of the fact Ive been waiting to say that for a long time, it really does look flexy on a serious note with the protruding extension on the front of the arm. Almost too much leverage there to be solid.
I agree. That entire swingarm hanging off the front end through a pivot that looks around 50mm wide. Sketchy to say the least. But FTW isn't an idiot.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I think too many people are directly comparing the F-Bomb to the R9. Don't compare it. It is not the same bike.

Just consider it the DH frame in the lineup left vacant by the R9.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Looks pimp!

It's def. not an R9.... but looks nice.

it would have been dope is they would have implemented the Fork Bumber Rubbers like they did on the R9!

Last edited:

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
I think too many people are directly comparing the F-Bomb to the R9. Don't compare it. It is not the same bike.

Just consider it the DH frame in the lineup left vacant by the R9.
Its hard not to compare a DH bike to the one that it replaces.

For what it is worth, I would love to ride an fbomb, but there is no way I am giving up the R9.

Last edited:

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
i really want to hear/read/know franks concept when designing this bike and what he was hoping to achieve with this. given ftw's rep int the industry i give him the benefit of the doubt and say its probably an amazing bike.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Light/low/linear, rides a little bit higher in the travel to stay a little more active (not 40% sag) - catered to modern DH courses.

Only my guess though....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It looks pretty freaking rad to me. It addresses all of the issues the team used to have with the R9 (geometry, weight, flex), and has a the same pivot location and shock rate characterisitics of the Splinter, which was undoubtedly the fastest 5" bike I've ever ridden down a hill. It is about as purposebuilt and modern as a DH frame can possibly be.

All you haters don't know bike design from a hill of beans, and certainly looking at a few pictures isn't going to tell you a damn thing about things like bearing spec, wall thickness, etc...

And honestly, besides wankers on the internet, who gives a damn about the "marketability" of a bike? Bikes are made to be ridden, not marketed.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
And honestly, besides wankers on the internet, who gives a damn about the "marketability" of a bike? Bikes are made to be ridden, not marketed.
Well, at the end of the day they are built to be bought and sold. at least that's the case if the builder/designer wants to feed himself and his family (let alone build more bikes). So i would say there are a lot of people who would be concerned with the marketabilty of a bike. especially a standard single pivot that, while possibly offering good geometry and weight, is not going to stand out from the crowd all on its own; especially not at the pricepoint i'm assuming it will be offered at.

so yeah, marketing matters. And "wankers on the internet" are the first potential customers. Especially considering that everyone is online nowdays. Just ask Obama what all the wankers on the internet did for him.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Lee,
There is a big difference between bespoke small production luxury goods (a dh bike) and national political politics. Are there no trees in your forest?