Central Massachusetts
Finally got myself a production sinister gruitr
bigger picture can be found in the links

http://www.pbase.com/jbangma/image/101390771

http://www.pbase.com/jbangma/image/101390772

posing next to the inspiration for the color, my work truck

http://www.pbase.com/jbangma/image/101390770
Sinister Gruitr- Blood Red PC by Central Mass Powder Coaters
DHX 5.0 coil 7.875" x 2.25" ( 5.5" & 6.5")
Lyrik Solo Air
CK headset
SIC LL bar/stem
Avid Juicy 5 brakes 6" f/r
MAvic 325 on ringle hubs 20/12 w nyc freeride axle
E13 LG1 w/ 36t e13 ring
12-28 8 spd cassette
SRAM X9 rd and shifter
Kenda Small Block 8's 2.35
SDG BelAire I beam

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Wait... after all the hype of the splinter and then (shortly after that disappeared) FTW's "revolutionary" new suspension design... they did (yet another) knock off of a bullet?!?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful bike and with FTW I'm sure it's top notch... but WTF.

Flame on...

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Wait... after all the hype of the splinter and then (shortly after that disappeared) FTW's "revolutionary" new suspension design... they did (yet another) knock off of a bullet?!?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful bike and with FTW I'm sure it's top notch... but WTF.

Flame on...
The splinter was and still is a amazing frame but it had it's issues. The VST is still in the works it's just been staled out by the patent process(sept from what i've heard). This bike is not a bullit copy (i know single pivot= bullit :bonk:) It's aimed more towards the heckler than the bullit. I've been on one of these for close to a year and I can say with confidence that it is the most fun bike i've ever ridden. The frames weight in around 7lbs with a air shock. The light weight and geometry make for a very versitle bike.

But haters will hate and i'm expecting quite a few. But if you try one i'm sure you will enjoy yourself. The bike ahs renewed my love of riding and that's all that matters right?

BTF

Chimp
Dec 28, 2001
Boston Ma
The Gruitr is a rock solid, fun,and a less-expensive bike than our previous offerings. We're not claiming a revolutionary new design on this little ripper, just fun. It has a very aggressive geo, low BB, and 16.5 ST. We will, and do, offer the Splinter in a custom order for about $3000. And the VST is coming, just underestimated the red tape :redface:. We're riders first, and business professionals a far second. :biggrin:

redtaco

Chimp
Feb 12, 2008
Honestly how stiff is the rear off this frame? Sold my Heckler because it was just to flexy. I find it hard to trust a single pivot without any support linkages after riding my friends BR.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

It isn't a Frank bike (by design or construction). Sinister bikes and genuine Frank bikes are no longer always one and the same, which is too bad.

BTF

Chimp
Dec 28, 2001
Boston Ma
It isn't a Frank bike (by design or construction). Sinister bikes and genuine Frank bikes are no longer always one and the same, which is too bad.
Frank had and has input on design and construction every step of the way. As we all did. FRank is only one man and can only weld so many bikes a year. He also has to find time to design and research all our current and future projects. Add in time for his family and having a meal once and a while, that leaves about 10 min a week for riding :biggrin:. We partnered with a great company in the great white north. The frame is hand welded in Canada with the utmost quality. You'll be seeing Frank doing more R&D and less Welding. He really enjoys the mad scientist within him. The man is a genius. He's going what he wants to do. And that's what it's all about. wait till you see his newest creation...SICK!

Here is what Frank has to say on the Gruitr http://www.sinisterbikes.com/sbforum/showthread.php?t=1043 .

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
As for stiffness, I just had my first ride on my Gruitr this weekend. I weight 210lbs and I didnt notice any flex. I also have a 10mm bolt on rear hub so that may have helped but I was coming from a hardtail so I should have noticed if it was actually noteworthy.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
proof that suspension linkage is only part of the game. a well made single pivot can do the job just fine. moorewood and orange have been rocking that design and doing well with it. kona stabs have had their fair share of championship runs with a single pivot design (linkage supported).

the simplicity of the single piviot may be a limitation in some ways, but may yeild design and production advantages in other ways. yeah, flex sucks and pedaling efficiency is good, but at some point a "good" suspension system design can give the same results as a "great" suspension system (the end "result" being getting you to the end of the trail/course). with variables like rider skills, rider style, fork choice, rear shock choice, tire choice, line selection, postion of the moon in relation to jupiter, and all the other variables out there, sometimes a good design is good enough.

i like the look of it here in red. it could be a fun ride. i'm not selling my current rig to get it, but i might check it later on.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
METAL IS NOT DEAD!

And the Kona's are kickin' butt. They had a baby and now I have a bike with 3.5" of travel and 27 speeds!:shocked:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Despite what "Jalopeno Joe" sayz on the interwebz, I am loving my Gruitr. Use it mostly for trail, but also do stuff as diverse as local DH shuttling, dj (smallish jumps, I'm gettin' old!), Super D racing, and pulling my 1 year old around in a Chariot carrier on the Cape whilst on vacation.

What I appreciate the most are the short chainstays - thing accelerates quickly.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Wow, that bike looks great in red. Maybe this winter I'll take the stickers off and get mine powder coated. I like the raw better than I thought I would but I think some color would really set it off.

BTW, I brought my GRUITR up to Stowe, VT last week and got some hilly "XC" riding done on it. With a 70mm stem and the seat post up pretty high I was able to keep within distance (barely) of a couple locals. Those 16.5" CS's work great on climbs and the feel is really good going down - if anything I was holding it back on descents. And nothing wrong w/ comparing it to a Heckler - those bikes are used heavily up there - but I think the GRUITR might be a little more versatile.

I posted this up on Sinister's site - it's first ride day on the GRUITR this past spring:
http://defconfour.com/movies/allaire_don_02.mov It's pretty flickable on the jumps.