Quantcast

sinister 'passion'

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I heard it was designed by Jamie Ford. I saw early sketches of it in the Snowshoe parking lot.:biggrin:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
xy9ine (and hungryleprican), it's got an extra pivot there.

I'm not sure I completely buy the explanation in that thread, at least not at complete face value. I see what they're trying to accomplish, I just can't buy that it accomplishes a real area suspension. :brow:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line

I'm not sure I completely buy the explanation in that thread, at least not at complete face value. I see what they're trying to accomplish, I just can't buy that it accomplishes a real area suspension. :brow:
it does, FTW sent me the CAD layout...took my brain a bit to get around the idea since as far as i know 5 bars have never been done, pretty clever. I woulda had the chance to test ride it but injuries and other life things got in the way... :bonk:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

Oh, it really does have a wheelpath zone and not an arc. Very eerie sensation plowing through things that should slow you down (logs, curbs, 6" diameter rock fields) and not slowing down. It is like the feeling you get when you pull on a brake lever that is not attached to the caliper, and you expect to slow down, so it feels like you are accelerating. After the show I will post up a little illustrated blurb that explains how the VST system works, but boyee, it sure does! There is a mechanical stop that the lower rocker engages that you can't see in the picture among other things....

Sinister R+D folks have been riding various incarnations of the VST design since January, and Frank keeps tweaking and modifying things to get the bikes working even better. The bike in the picutre is still a proto and it will have a front end hammered out over an irish wheel by the time it reaches production. It will be real pretty, real light and will slay any trail it sees. We are also preparing the Poision for spring release, which is a heavier-duty freeride oriented bike.

The R9 is just getting geometry tweaks for '07 (it was the most winning frame on the eastcoast in '06, so it obviously doesn't need much), but we have already begun work on something to supercede the R9 on top of the podium in 2008.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
K, i love it, I want it, and I love east coasty buddies.

BUT

Lockout on pedaling and braking? This is why cannondale ditched their gemini. How does it affect the FrankTheWinister design? They mention superb pedalling, but a rearward arc will be cancelled out by pedal force, making it bob. Braking will have some effect I'm sure, but I can't say what. I trust FTW design, he had a hand in the original lawill bikes, which I loved, but just because a bike pedals well or absorbs bumps well doesn't mean it will pedal and absorb bumbs at the same time well.

anybody?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Oh yeah, and did i mention that it is the best pedaling, most active suspension design ever? Mass transfer or whatever you want to call it can still make it bob, but you can wail away on the pedals all you want and the suspension keeps abosrbing bumps without being influenced by the suspension, no lockout. And under braking the wheelpath aligns with the direction of travel, meaning the thing slows down scary fast and the wheel stays stuck to the ground!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Oh yeah, and did i mention that it is the best pedaling, most active suspension design ever? Mass transfer or whatever you want to call it can still make it bob, but you can wail away on the pedals all you want and the suspension keeps abosrbing bumps without being influenced by the suspension, no lockout. And under braking the wheelpath aligns with the direction of travel, meaning the thing slows down scary fast and the wheel stays stuck to the ground!
man i really feel like a dolt for not taking FTWs offer :(

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
(it was the most winning frame on the eastcoast in '06, so it obviously doesn't need much)
Plattekill -
Sunday (Nobman): 2 wins
Sunday (Karen Eagen): 4 wins (won every race she entered)
R9 (Ford): 1 win
R9 (Stoddard): 1 win

Diablo -
Sunday (Nobman): 1 win
Sunday (Wruble): 1 win

Mt Snow -
Sunday (Eagen): 3 wins

Sugar Mtn Nationals -
Sunday (Sam): 1 win

Mt Snow Nationals -
Sunday (Sabrina): 1 win

:D

edit - appologies to any Sinister or Sunday racers that I may have missed. :)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Plattekill -

Diablo -

Mt Snow -

Sunday (Eagen):
You left out Snowshoe and Sugar and Whiteface. That might boost up the "Sinister to Iron Horse' ratio? Also, a lot of expert win comparison might boost the ratio as well?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Plattekill -

Diablo -

Mt Snow -
Sunday (Eagen): 3 wins

Sugar Mtn Nationals -
Sunday (Sam): 1 win

Mt Snow Nationals -
Sunday (Sabrina): 1 win

:D
Let's have a bike industry insider pissing match! Subtract the girls and the mutants, and add , Whiteface and the Snowshoe races and re-calculate... I think IH can let me claim this, fer chrissakes you guys won worlds, and what, 4 nationals and 4 world cups! Not to mention nearly selling more DH oriented bikes than the rest of the industry combined!

And Knobman, Hill or Ford could be winning most of these races on '97 proflex beasts anyway.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Let's have a bike industry insider pissing match! Subtract the girls and the mutants, and add , Whiteface and the Snowshoe races and re-calculate... I think IH can let me claim this, fer chrissakes you guys won worlds, and what, 4 nationals and 4 world cups! Not to mention nearly selling more DH oriented bikes than the rest of the industry combined!

And Knobman, Hill or Ford could be winning most of these races on '97 proflex beasts anyway.
:cheers: hell, I'm just happy that there's a resurgence in DH'ing and racing here in the Northeast, that makes both of us happy. just don't let out that these guys can win on anything, that destroys the "our bikes are better b/c sam hill is fast" marketing ploy. :biggrin:

you forgot US national champion... wink

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Looks neat. I'd love to hear the physical qualification of this statement, becuase if "mass transfer can still make it bob" AND "the suspension keeps absorbing bumps without being influenced" then we have a major quandary regarding the laws of physics here. Maybe gravity works differently at your house, I dont know that, but I do know that those 2 statements are contradictory.

Marketing stuff and hype is cool and all, I understand the plan here. Just saying lets keep it real. As Todd says "Lets call a spade a spade".

Keep up the good work, its nice to see new things being tried.

Dave

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
specialized?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
DW:
Maybe gravity works differently at your house, ...
Lol...:biggrin:

Somewhere outside his house is a place that even Einstein dare not tread... :)

Random Fact About Sam Hill:

- If Sam Hill races on anything but an I.H. Sunday he will loose all of his magical powers.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
looks great and everything, but if there's one thing i cant stand it's overhyping something and cramming it down people's throats. let the bike speak for itself when it makes it to the masses.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
looks great and everything, but if there's one thing i cant stand it's overhyping something and cramming it down people's throats. let the bike speak for itself when it makes it to the masses.
Since when has that ever happened? Besides, people are asking questions and so people who know something about the bike are trying to answer them.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Since when has that ever happened? Besides, people are asking questions and so people who know something about the bike are trying to answer them.
since when has what ever happened? there are plenty of bikes that are far less hyped up by advertising/the company and perform just as well. turner bikes come to mind. all i was saying was lets not compare a bike that has not even made it to production yet to other bikes are are race-proven to be great bikes.

that being said, i have ridden the sinister prototypes, and they are great bikes. however, i will leave it at that and not make them seem to be god's gift to the biking world.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wait wait wait....a near normal seattube angle? That can't be right...why would you actually want to be able to adjust your seat on a bike? Surely you can mess up that nice looking design at least a little...it's too-- "useful" or "smart"

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt

oh snap
romano is alive and well on rm

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
it does, FTW sent me the CAD layout...took my brain a bit to get around the idea since as far as i know 5 bars have never been done, pretty clever. I woulda had the chance to test ride it but injuries and other life things got in the way... :bonk:
I see what they're trying to accomplish, but wouldn't the amount of rearward travel be pretty negledgable? Seems like you're going to hit the limit of that lower link pretty quickly.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
since when has what ever happened? there are plenty of bikes that are far less hyped up by advertising/the company and perform just as well. turner bikes come to mind. all i was saying was lets not compare a bike that has not even made it to production yet to other bikes are are race-proven to be great bikes.

that being said, i have ridden the sinister prototypes, and they are great bikes. however, i will leave it at that and not make them seem to be god's gift to the biking world.
Alot of the hyping is not being done by the company. Mostly friends of the company and sponsored riders. And, turners are hyped by people (just not the company).

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Cool concept.

I'm not the largest fan of having a hard mechanical advantage style lever/contact point on the frame. I'm assuming this point is replaceable (bumper of some sort, contact point)