Quantcast

Sinister Ridge Redux

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
One of my winter projects was to redo my 2004 Ridge. The original orange powder coat on the frame was starting to look tired, so I decided on a color that would look like shot peened titanium but with a gloss clear coat, it matches my other bikes too. I plan to use the bike for all mountain / xc riding so I wanted to keep it relatively light, even though the starting point, frame and fork, aren't the lightest starting point. The '04 Ridge frames were built to be a tough do it all- heavy duty frame and it rides as such, pretty stiff feeling especially for all day rides. So to make it a bit more comfortable I choose a high volume but light tire, Easton Scandium bars, and titanium spokes (ok, they went good color wise too). :)

specs:
•Sinister Ridge 2004, medium, 6.1 lbs
--the original do it all hardtail, '04 frames were the strongest, 1.5" ht & thick tubing
•Manitou Sherman Flick TPC+ 130mm fork 5.7 lbs
--good reliable TPC
•E.13 reducer cups with FSA IS2 bearings 124g (not including star nut & top cap)
--best thing for a 1.5", keeps the head tube from looking like a 16 oz pounder
•Easton Scandium DH bars 255g
--have a great feel, too bad they don't make them anymore
•Syntace 60mm DH stem 141g
--light!
•ODI Rouge lock-on grips with Straightline End caps
--grip of choice for xc
•Hope Mini brakes w/ power clamps, 185mm F, 160mm R, Dangerboy levers & KoolStop pads
--fantastic brakes when set up right
•FSA Platinum Pro Ti bottom bracket 113mm 210g
--light!
•Race Face Northshore cranks 175mm (665g w/ bash, ring, bolts)
--so much nicer than any new RF cranks
•Syncros 34t chainring 35g & alloy chainring bolts
--found it in the garbage
•Spot Brand bash ring
--Gamut doesn't make a 94mm
•Gamut G25 chainguide
--my favorite chain guides, light and simple
•Shimano XT M750 cassette 11-34 with King alloy lockring 284g
--standard issue
•Shimano XTR rear derailleur med cage, alloy pulleys & bolts 205g
--found it in my derailleur box, added polish and purple
•Sram PC 99 hollow pin chain
--who doesn't want hollow pins?
•Shimano LX shifter, no indicator, alloy bolts 97g
--nice trick shifter
•Funn Launch saddle 330g
--look it matches the fork
•Thomson Elite seatpost 30.9 x 287 210g
--should be on every bike
•Shimano XTR shift housing
--high tech grey
•Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium pedals 376g
--light!
•Halo Freedom 32H rims (527g) laced to Hope Pro II hubs, qr rear 292g, 20mm front 170g with Titanium spokes and alloy nipples, 815g front, 945g rear = 1760g wheelset
--Hope hubs are the best - light, strong, cheap.
•Continental Mountain King Supersonic 2.4 tires 510g
--high volume, light casing, good traction in the corners
•Continental 26 Light tubes 125g
--I don't get flats (usually)
Total weight = 28.1 lbs

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Hey how do you like those Conti Mountain King tires???
The mountain kings have been fantastic. I have the supersonic version, thin sidewalls, so finding the just the right pressure to run is key. They hook up great for climbing and cornering. The 29er version has a little bit thicker sidewall. One of my favorite tires!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've got one on the rear of my 29er right now.......do you feel it is a better front or rear tire tread?

Right now my 29er is set up with the Mountain King rear and a Racing Ralph 2.4 up front on some Syncros 29er wheels.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The Mountain Kings work great for either front or rear, but if only using one I would prefer a 2.4 front and use the Racing Ralph as a rear. I like a tire with aggressive tread and knobs that over hang the side casing for better cornering up front. For a rear tire, less aggressive knobs and faster rolling is ideal for me.