Quantcast

Sinister Simon Bar 29

jayoutside

Chimp
Nov 25, 2007
what would be nice is if said 16in frame had a HA around 69 deg.......

that would be one amazing bike! I know folks love steeper HA's on their 29ers, but I'm not one of em. Slack for me

dblspeed

Chimp
Jul 1, 2007
what would be nice is if said 16in frame had a HA around 69 deg.......

that would be one amazing bike! I know folks love steeper HA's on their 29ers, but I'm not one of em. Slack for me
or you could use a 120mm fork to slacken the angle a bit :biggrin:

verticult

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
wouldn't 69 be a bit slack? I mean, it would make it easier to build a small bike with such a slack head angle for sure. I am going to build a bunch of different sizes, big and small.. for spring delivery.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
wouldn't 69 be a bit slack? I mean, it would make it easier to build a small bike with such a slack head angle for sure. I am going to build a bunch of different sizes, big and small.. for spring delivery.
69 would be pretty slack - but you could do it with the new offset forks.

Maybe the right middle ground would be a 70 degree HT angle for the small sized Simon Bar (isn't the Medium's 71.5 degrees?).

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
make it 70.5° for the small and mediums... that should work good. :)
My first reaction is "don't touch the mediums!!" but I need to remember what worked great for me and Darrell, may not be everyone's cup of tea LOL

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
My first reaction is "don't touch the mediums!!" but I need to remember what worked great for me and Darrell, may not be everyone's cup of tea LOL
I agree, mine works great too. But most of the new forks, like the rebas, have bigger offsets that allow frames to have slacker headangles while avoiding slow steering, but keeping or improving downhill stability.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
I agree, mine works great too. But most of the new forks, like the rebas, have bigger offsets that allow frames to have slacker headangles while avoiding slow steering, but keeping or improving downhill stability.
My last frame with the DUC 32 was just bliss and that offset was 47mm IIRC

Aug 30, 2007
I just picked up a size large...curious about tire clearance, what kind of fork to run, that sort of thing. Pumped. I think i'm going to run it SS for the time being. The question is order a WaltWorks custom fork, or go for the manitou 120 on jenson.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Get the manitou. Any 29er tire should fit in the rear. Post some photos when you get it built.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
RD3, what forks have you experimented with on the SB? Trying to figure out the best offset and A-C length.
Is your Simon Bar one from the most recent "batch" of frames from Frank - the ones with the paragon sliding drooputs? If so, the geometry of those frames is different from the earlier generation Simon Bars. The new ones are built around the newer forks with the greater offset. Hope this helps in your fork choice decision making.:thumb:

Aug 30, 2007
Yep...from the latest batch with the sliding dropouts.

So same question though....whats the rec A-C and offset for the new design?

joe shabadoo

Chimp
Jan 26, 2007
Western North Carolina
I emailed FTW and he recomended the Reba set at 100 for the Bar V2. I just got in my 120 Manitou Min.from Jenson mounted up. Probably wont get a chance to ride as its going to rain for the next 2 days. I'll try and post up some pics in the AM.