Quantcast

Sinister Splinter MX new parts...

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Added some new parts to the Splinter... SIC "sicness" cranks, King headset and bottom bracket, Truvativ aka stem and Holzfeller wc bars.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
What made you choose those cranks? Those things must weigh 5 pounds
I love the SIC cranks, they are made only a couple hours away in MD. They are lighter than the profile cranks that they replaced. The 170mm cranks and all hardware weigh in at a respectable 1050g. The King bottom bracket is 99g.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've encouraged Frank on more than one occasion to make an 8", longer and slacker version of the Splinter. Maybe trimmed down with less heavy CNC work on it. Absolutely awesome bike.

I have my Splinter MX temporarily set up right now with a full DH build kit. 888, Roco rear, wide/low bars, Saint brakes and cranks, Hadley/Dual Duty DH wheelset, and it's set up singlespeed (38/18). Been riding it for a few weeks, and I am thinking about just leaving it similar to this even when I get my actual DH bike going again. Snappy and stable little bitch. I bought this frame on a whim a few years ago and it has been one of the best bike purchases I have ever made. I will never ever get rid of it.

It has the funniest squatting characteristic in corners. It seems to just settle and not pop back. There is some evil genius behind this thing, and it's hard to tell exactly what it is.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I agree. Mine is set up FR, but I use it at Whistler all the time. A simplified version with 7" or 8" would be absolutely mint. I love the way the bike settles into corners, and maybe it is just the predictability of the single pivot, but I have never ridden a bike that tracks as well, and still pops off stuff. Even though it is a 6" bike, I do not often wish for more travel.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's funny watching people ride this bike around or take it down some dirt, and they're just totally perplexed. They know something is really different about it, but nobody's been able to put a finger on it either. Must just be the mass shift thing.

I'll have to get some pictures of mine. With the DH build it looks mean as hell.

RH what shock are you running on yours? I have a Roco TST on it right now, and debating between throwing a WC valve into it or trying to weasel my way onto a CCDB for it.

Polhill

Chimp
Feb 8, 2008
I've encouraged Frank on more than one occasion to make an 8", longer and slacker version of the Splinter. Maybe trimmed down with less heavy CNC work on it. Absolutely awesome bike.

I have my Splinter MX temporarily set up right now with a full DH build kit. 888, Roco rear, wide/low bars, Saint brakes and cranks, Hadley/Dual Duty DH wheelset, and it's set up singlespeed (38/18). Been riding it for a few weeks, and I am thinking about just leaving it similar to this even when I get my actual DH bike going again. Snappy and stable little bitch. I bought this frame on a whim a few years ago and it has been one of the best bike purchases I have ever made. I will never ever get rid of it.

It has the funniest squatting characteristic in corners. It seems to just settle and not pop back. There is some evil genius behind this thing, and it's hard to tell exactly what it is.
Wouldn't that be similar to an Evil Revolt? Look at the function of the links. It looks like a reverse moto link.
On the Splinter, is the "dogbone" mounted between the swingarm and shock link adjustable in length?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
HOw does that splinter feel with the Air shock and coil over fork up front? Does the front and rear suspension balance out?
I really like the Fox RP23 with the big air can on the rear, smooth over the small stuff, yet takes hits nice. The old Z150 up front feels great, but its heavy (6.5 lbs). I have a double crown 6" White Brothers that I have been thinking about putting on, its about 1.5 lbs lighter than the Marzocchi.

The Splinter sees everything from steep climbs on xc rides to the usual dh shenanigans. I too would like to see a new version of this frame with the same pivot location and pull linkage for the shock. I have some photos of what was supposed to be the MX2 Splinter, not sure of the outcome of that.

Post up your Splinter photos... I would like to see the one with the 888.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yes the connecting rod is adjustable in length. I might just make one that keeps the bike super slack.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Nice! The 888 doesn't look out of place on it. That should handle sweet with the super slack front end and the snappy short rear.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yep, handles great. I have it set up a tiny bit on the stiff side too, especially in front. It bounces over/through stuff until you get above walking speed and then it gets nice and stable.

It's the Roco TST also. I'm thinking about throwing in a WC valve or maybe just getting a CCDB for it.

verticult

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
I have some ideas to get the shock rate reproduced without using the high bearing leads found in this or others of this type. Right now, I have a VST going through heat.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
i want a splinter so bad... and a r9 for that matter... i like sinister bikes, heres mine

but back to the topic of splinters, you all have awesome splinters:thumb:. particularly chober's girl friends, that thing is just awesome:thumb:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I forget, did you get someone to machine you a non-adj. link (pullrod)
I did - the Fix in Whistler. The adjustable pull-rod blew up after a less than capable machinist f*d up the pivot. I figured I generally kept the geo at one setting anyway, and I had an FB10 on the way, so I went with a static link (and proper pivots!) I still don't have photos, but it is quite cool (beautifully machined and drilled I-beam).