Votes: 19 20.9%
  • bacon

Votes: 21 23.1%

• Total voters

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i love it when customers come in and request a set of each, so that they can mix them

:rolleyes:
its a particularly a bad idea w/ 4 piston brakes IMO. when one side wears out faster then the other, the lever feel gets all fubar'd....especially if all the piston arent working perfectly together.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i love it when customers come in and request a set of each, so that they can mix them

:rolleyes:
normally I agree, but after trying going pure sintered and pure organic on my session, neither one would quiet the rear end of the bike resonating with the brake and shaking like mad, and the only way I could get it to stop was mixing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I got about 10 months of riding out of my organic pads on my 4pot saints. I'm running 1 of each. Way quieter, and really good grip.

normally I agree, but after trying going pure sintered and pure organic on my session, neither one would quiet the rear end of the bike resonating with the brake and shaking like mad, and the only way I could get it to stop was mixing.

i highlighted the problems

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i highlighted the problems
I don't exactly follow? Other brakes work just fine on the bike, and saints work just fine on other bikes. Since I like both of them a lot, I found a good compromise and made them both work? What/where are the problems?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't exactly follow? Other brakes work just fine on the bike, and saints work just fine on other bikes. What/where are the problems?
its a pretty common problem that the Saints cause that bad vibration/noise on your Session with their normal compounds

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
anyone else use ceramic pads?
after reading the article in Decline about Brake Authority pads, it peaked my interest.

edit: who else makes them? i found a seller on ebay that sells ceramic pads, but not for The Ones

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Trek A.B.P....Annoying-Brake squeal-Producer :thumb:
LOL, it's true, I have a Session and a Remedy, both with Elixir CRs running semi metallic pads. The rear end has a natural vibrational frequency that's really close to the frequency of brake-squeal vibrations so the issue (and noise) is amplified because of the rear triangle. However, it can be fixed by sanding the rotor when changing the pads so the pads bed into the rotor better. If you have old pads that are squealing you need to sand both the rotor and pads, then break them in by braking hard a few times before using them normally.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Organic on my DH bike (with Gustavs). Semi on the rest of my bikes. I just really like the ability to brake later coming into a corner on the DH bike.

I think as long as you don't drag the rer brake you still get decent life out of them. Then again, I live in SoCal so almost NO wet riding out here.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
I was able to try out a pair of organics in May and then went back to sintered due to availability. I just had to replace those with a pair of organics. I like the organic better. It feel like it has more initial bite and can hold the wheel better.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Organic on my DH bike (with Gustavs). Semi on the rest of my bikes. I just really like the ability to brake later coming into a corner on the DH bike.

I think as long as you don't drag the rer brake you still get decent life out of them. Then again, I live in SoCal so almost NO wet riding out here.
? Was told that for 190lbs and above sintered and below organic for dh. Apparently orga

nic heats up quicker engages quicker doesn't work well in wet and wears a bit quicker', yes or no?

Also heard 1 organic and 1 sintered per caliper for best results and I assume this is because the organic will bite sooner the sintered will hold on when hotter later in the braking? Yes no?

Never had to think about it till recently had some issues with avids so I went back to formulas.
Always ran organics in colder weather sintered in hot or wet winter NW riding so when issues arose and it wasnt bleed or fluid issues I started asking on pads.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Couple of the guys I ride with swear by this place. I haven't ordered any yet, but plan to. I guess it's worth a shot. Pads from the shops break the damn bank.

http://discobrakes.com/

That being said, I like the semi-metallic.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I meant shimanos.

I'm talking like 3 years ago when every single shimano brake from lx to saint was the same design with a different paint job. The organic pads for those things really were garbage in the wet.

The new ones might be better....like I said, I already swore them off.

Either way, my experience and what seems to be echoed in this thread is that they don't grip better, they wear faster, and metal pads don't make noise if your brakes are clean. I still see no reason to use them.
This.

I found the formula organic pads are a lot better than the shimano ones, but personally I've found that any pad that isn't fully sintered comes a clear 2nd place in the wet.

If you're riding in the dry then you can choose from almost anything out there, but for the wet, I think full sintered is the go - and for most brakes, I've found the factory sintered pads are better than aftermarket options (formula, shimano, maybe avid too).

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
This.

I found the formula organic pads are a lot better than the shimano ones, but personally I've found that any pad that isn't fully sintered comes a clear 2nd place in the wet.

If you're riding in the dry then you can choose from almost anything out there, but for the wet, I think full sintered is the go - and for most brakes, I've found the factory sintered pads are better than aftermarket options (formula, shimano, maybe avid too).
I agree with Udi!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
LOL, it's true, I have a Session and a Remedy, both with Elixir CRs running semi metallic pads. The rear end has a natural vibrational frequency that's really close to the frequency of brake-squeal vibrations so the issue (and noise) is amplified because of the rear triangle. However, it can be fixed by sanding the rotor when changing the pads so the pads bed into the rotor better. If you have old pads that are squealing you need to sand both the rotor and pads, then break them in by braking hard a few times before using them normally.
Is this remedy problem because the seatstay moves in relation to the axle(chainstay)? If the caliper was on the chainstay the problem wouldn't exist.