Quantcast

Sirius Satellite Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillT

Monkey
Well, I got Sirius specifically for Howard and have enjoyed the rest to the content as well (1st Wave and Boombox for me). I had a difficult time getting my Sirius (the weekend before Howard started) because each store I went to - 2 Circuit City's, 1 Best Buy, 2 Targets - were all out of them, but they had plenty of XM units. As soon as I get the chance, I'll be buying a 2nd unit for my wife as she really misses Howard and is pissed that I've been able to listen to him the last several weeks while she hasn't.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
ThePriceSeliger said:
This is true. This is the original XM, or close to it.
Back around 2002 perchance?

BillT said:
Well, I got Sirius specifically for Howard and have enjoyed the rest to the content as well (1st Wave and Boombox for me). I had a difficult time getting my Sirius (the weekend before Howard started) because each store I went to - 2 Circuit City's, 1 Best Buy, 2 Targets - were all out of them, but they had plenty of XM units. As soon as I get the chance, I'll be buying a 2nd unit for my wife as she really misses Howard and is pissed that I've been able to listen to him the last several weeks while she hasn't.
Correct, for the first time Sirius signed up more subs during the quarter than XM. However, it's attributed to the Howard switch. Once that levels off, it's going to go back to pre-howard sub numbers for both companies. The media blitz got Howard a lot of attention, and the initial response was good, but how long will that continue? I don't see subscription rates remaining this high throughout the next fiscal year, especially if you consider that a lot of people subscribe to one service or another by word of mouth, and XM currently has twice the words of mouth than Sirius.

However, it also goes to point out that in some places, the purchasing situation was reversed. When I went into a lot of places in Jersey before christmas, I saw stands full of Starmates and such, and could not find many XM units anywhere. Most certainly different demographics, but quite telling since this area was Howards "home market".

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
robdamanii said:
Meh, witch doctor whatever.

I get your point perfectly. However, you're missing the point that the CASUAL listener, who has no exposure to either station, will quickly take the easy route and take what's available to them. That means a larger exposure for XM. But whatever, I'm still betting that Sirius will not be able to close the gap with their current stable of talent. And to prove that point, here's some bedtime reading for you:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/9181584/howards_end/

Are we buying stock or picking the service we prefer? I tried both and went Sirius. I love having the NFL coverage on Sirius as well as Octane, Alt Nation, etc. Both services will survive but one may financially outperform the other. It will be interesting to see if hi def radio has any affect in the coming years as well.

I think bigger than the Stern deal is the fact that Sirius basically stole Nascar coverage away from XM. Yeah XM got the NHL but noboday cares about the NHL. Oh and by the way Rob, Stern's salary is $100 million/year over 5 years (still not worth it) and XM was commercially available before Sirius. XM had a pretty significant "headstart" with Delphi doing the development work before XM became it's own thing. Last I heard, Sirius had an edge in the video development as well.

I will never take another road trip without my Sirius. I just went to the Orange Bowl with a van full of 12 other friends and at least 6 of them said they were getting Sirius after listening to it for most of the 15 hour one way trip.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Mike B. said:
Are we buying stock or picking the service we prefer? I tried both and went Sirius. I love having the NFL coverage on Sirius as well as Octane, Alt Nation, etc. Both services will survive but one may financially outperform the other. It will be interesting to see if hi def radio has any affect in the coming years as well.

I think bigger than the Stern deal is the fact that Sirius basically stole Nascar coverage away from XM. Yeah XM got the NHL but noboday cares about the NHL. Oh and by the way Rob, Stern's salary is $100 million/year over 5 years (still not worth it) and XM was commercially available before Sirius. XM had a pretty significant "headstart" with Delphi doing the development work before XM became it's own thing. Last I heard, Sirius had an edge in the video development as well.

I will never take another road trip without my Sirius. I just went to the Orange Bowl with a van full of 12 other friends and at least 6 of them said they were getting Sirius after listening to it for most of the 15 hour one way trip.
Ahh, I've seen a lot of different things on Howards contract. Thanks for the correction though. Where'd you get the figures on it, just out of curiosity.

If I recall, XM had a 6 month lead on commercial availability? That's really not that far ahead when you consider the number of people that XM signed up in that time and the technical issues they did have at that point.

Nascar was dropped from XM due to lack of listenership. I wish I could find the show that Eric Logan was on stating that "it was not a financially sound decision to keep NASCAR for XM", and that NHL was a more sound option for XM to pursue. Tit for tat, but XM's video unit is reportedly in the pipe. I can't remember if it was one of the March releases or the next round of new equipment will bring their video unit.

True, I'll never take a road trip without my XM, but the difference is I can get out of my car, take my MyFi with me, and listen to it as I walk down the street.

Your initial assumption is correct, but when I pick something I want to listen to and use, I want to pick the best company out there that has the most resources to increase the options they offer me.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Didnt read any of the thread, but i am all about Sirius...I dont have it simply because i have an ipod and exposure to TONS of music so i really havent seen the need yet. But everyone i know that is running it loves it. There are so many great channels for music and talk.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
robdamanii said:
Perhaps at the beginning of the game. More recently XM subcontracted Delphi to build the Skyfi, Myfi, and roady models. Pioneer jointly got them with the Tao. Samsung I believe is behind the Tao and the Helix.

Unfortunately, Sirius doesn't have the hardware capabilities of XM. If they did, I'd seriously put them in contention, but they don't. XM offers more choices both in hardware and programming.

Oh well....the number speak for themselves.
For Christ's sake, it's f*ing radio dude! Ease up!

Do you have Sirius? I don't, so I don't harp on it. There are half a dozen people in this thread who have it, and love it, those are the opinions he's asking for. I don't recall him asking anywhere about SEC filings, subscription numbers, or on-the-go hardware. There are so many other factors in play that can make a service like this have more subscribers that have nothing at all to do with the quality of the service.

There are half a dozen people in here saying they love Sirius, and one witch doctor ranting about XM's subscription numbers....I didn't even care at first, but now I'm sold on Sirius. :rolleyes:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
robdamanii said:
Ahh, I've seen a lot of different things on Howards contract. Thanks for the correction though. Where'd you get the figures on it, just out of curiosity.

If I recall, XM had a 6 month lead on commercial availability? That's really not that far ahead when you consider the number of people that XM signed up in that time and the technical issues they did have at that point.

Nascar was dropped from XM due to lack of listenership. I wish I could find the show that Eric Logan was on stating that "it was not a financially sound decision to keep NASCAR for XM", and that NHL was a more sound option for XM to pursue. Tit for tat, but XM's video unit is reportedly in the pipe. I can't remember if it was one of the March releases or the next round of new equipment will bring their video unit.

True, I'll never take a road trip without my XM, but the difference is I can get out of my car, take my MyFi with me, and listen to it as I walk down the street.

Your initial assumption is correct, but when I pick something I want to listen to and use, I want to pick the best company out there that has the most resources to increase the options they offer me.

I remember reading the salary thing a while back but here is little quote from a recent cnn.com story:

"At the time his October 2004 deal with Sirius was announced, the company said it could be worth up to $500 million over five years to headline two Sirius channels."

Much of that was not guaranteed money but based on subscriber numbers which I think Stern and his agent just cashed in on for a big portion of their $$. Call me a skeptic but I think that was a nice way for Logan to spin the loss of Nascar. Fastest growing "sport" in the States with a very enthusiastic fan base but maybe not the most inclined demographic to go buy fancy gear.

For me personally, I could care less if Sirius comes out with a MyFi style unit. I'm happy to take my PnP unit from house to my truck. I don't own an MP3 player either so I'm probably the odd one out on this one.

For the original poster, I recommend reading through siriusbackstage.com and xmfan.com for more input.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Mike B. said:
I remember reading the salary thing a while back but here is little quote from a recent cnn.com story:

"At the time his October 2004 deal with Sirius was announced, the company said it could be worth up to $500 million over five years to headline two Sirius channels."

Much of that was not guaranteed money but based on subscriber numbers which I think Stern and his agent just cashed in on for a big portion of their $$. Call me a skeptic but I think that was a nice way for Logan to spin the loss of Nascar. Fastest growing "sport" in the States with a very enthusiastic fan base but maybe not the most inclined demographic to go buy fancy gear.

For me personally, I could care less if Sirius comes out with a MyFi style unit. I'm happy to take my PnP unit from house to my truck. I don't own an MP3 player either so I'm probably the odd one out on this one.

For the original poster, I recommend reading through siriusbackstage.com and xmfan.com for more input.
I think E-Lo's point of removing NASCAR was exactly what you pointed out, though maybe not in the same words: it's certainly not the demographic prone to purchasing equipment and subscriptions to listen to the races.

And to RM:
Why? Because I'm brand loyal, that's why. I'll defend my chosen brand to the last. And frankly, since it was annoying MBC and Brian, why not drag it out for a bit.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Didnt read any of the thread...
Let me paraphrase and sum up:

Original poster: My car is Sirrius ready, is it worth it?
Various replies: yeah, it's cool, go for it
Robdumani: XM! Wooooooo.....makes me hard....everything else sucks...nobody knows anything...I RULE!

Any questions?

BillT

Monkey
I think the more important thing here to note is that the owners of terrestrial radio stations should be very worried. I've owned my Sirius for almost 3 weeks now and have not turned it off once (nor have I even played a cd in my car) and don't see that trend ending any time soon.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
BillT said:
I think the more important thing here to note is that the owners of terrestrial radio stations should be very worried. I've owned my Sirius for almost 3 weeks now and have not turned it off once (nor have I even played a cd in my car) and don't see that trend ending any time soon.

Funny you should say that.

Have you heard the "Free FM" commercials that have been played on TR stations lately? They've been saying that you shouldn't have to pay for radio when it's already free, and slamming both satellite providers. They are quite amusing, especially considering that about a year ago, a lot of TR stations were actually taking ad spots for satellite providers.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
robdamanii said:
And to RM:
Why? Because I'm brand loyal, that's why. I'll defend my chosen brand to the last. And frankly, since it was annoying MBC and Brian, why not drag it out for a bit.
No one said don't promote your chosen brand. But don't do it by saying everything else is garbage. If anything that lessens your credibility.

Here's an example of how someone might be brand loyal in an effective way:

Personally, I prefer xxx brand. It has great this and that, and has really worked for me.
Note how I didn't bitch about brand yyy, which I don't use and have no personal experience with? You'll find that people only really want opinions on things from people who have personal experience with them...not Mr. Self-Righteous who needs to smash the competition so he can feel better about his own purchase.

Believe it or not, some people might prefer different things than you...and that's ok. :rolleyes:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
XM is crap. Ive listened to alot of the programming and its way behind sirius. Lameo.

Also, Sirius has NFL radio. XM cant compare at all with that. Thats why more people have DirecTV than DishNetwork. The NFL.

...and WTF is the point of being brand loyal to a brand that doesnt care about you? I could see being brand loyal to Chris King or Santa Cruz or something, but XM radio? WTF?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
XM is crap. Ive listened to alot of the programming and its way behind sirius. Lameo.
XM can't compete w/ Sirius's "all knopfler" station.

BurlyShirley said:
Also, Sirius has NFL radio. XM cant compare at all with that. Thats why more people have DirecTV than DishNetwork. The NFL.
i would think this is only an advantage if you have a home hookup. how many times do you spend driving around on sun afternoon or evening for a couple hours?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
BurlyShirley said:

...and WTF is the point of being brand loyal to a brand that doesnt care about you? I could see being brand loyal to Chris King or Santa Cruz or something, but XM radio? WTF?
I wholeheartedly disagree, and believe Sirius is far behind XM. I don't listen to NFL games on the radio because half the fun is watching the actual play, not relying on a sportscaster. That being said, I don't listen to NHL or MLB either....

Why am I loyal? My morning consists of O&A, my afternoon of R&F, and I follow that up with some nice stuff like deep tracks and Loft in the evening if it's been a rough day. Sirius has nothing comparable to any of them, at least not that I've heard to this point. And I've had excellent service from XM and their customer service reps.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
robdamanii said:
I wholeheartedly disagree, and believe Sirius is far behind XM. I don't listen to NFL games on the radio because half the fun is watching the actual play, not relying on a sportscaster. That being said, I don't listen to NHL or MLB either....

Why am I loyal? My morning consists of O&A, my afternoon of R&F, and I follow that up with some nice stuff like deep tracks and Loft in the evening if it's been a rough day. Sirius has nothing comparable to any of them, at least not that I've heard to this point. And I've had excellent service from XM and their customer service reps.
Ok then everyone, that settles it.
If you like listening to crap, XM is for you. They even have great service reps to get you the crap you need.

Rob, do you think sirius has bad CS reps?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
robdamanii said:
I think E-Lo's point of removing NASCAR was exactly what you pointed out, though maybe not in the same words: it's certainly not the demographic prone to purchasing equipment and subscriptions to listen to the races.

And to RM:
Brand loyalty is one thing, but militancy is quite the other. I'm sure your favorite brand appreciates the negativity you generate by your promotion of their product. :rolleyes:

I'm was seriously considering XM, but because of your promotional tact, I'll go with the majority of people who say Sirius is the best choice...

Next your gonna say Fender is better than Gibson...:rolleyes:

:cool:

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
robdamanii said:
lol what kind of argument is that? Sirius is behind because you don't listen to sports? Some people do...for them that puts Sirius ahead. Try thinking from a persective that isn't your own dude.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ridemonkey said:
lol what kind of argument is that? Sirius is behind because you don't listen to sports? Some people do...for them that puts Sirius ahead. Try thinking from a persective that isn't your own dude.
Theres a thought...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
sirknight6 said:
Brand loyalty is one thing, but militancy is quite the other. I'm sure your favorite brand appreciates the negativity you generate by your promotion of their product. :rolleyes:

I'm was seriously considering XM, but because of your promotional tact, I'll go with the majority of people who say Sirius is the best choice...

Next your gonna say Fender is better than Gibson...:rolleyes:

:cool:

Are you f'ing nuts? Fender blows compared to Gibson, although Gibson's quality control has dropped pretty significantly in the past few years, or so I understand.

Militancy my rear. It's a fact that XM as a company is doing better than Sirius. I'm not contending that people like to listen to what they like to listen to....I'm pointing out that XM as a company has more to offer and is in a better spot to offer more to the listener.

And BS, if you're a bears fan, I'd expect you to buy crap like Sirius. :eviltongu

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Ridemonkey said:
Depends what sports you listen to.

If you buy it for that one thing, good for you. For the AVERAGE person, XM is a better package.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
So you're saying the average person doesn't listen to sports? What's your point?

Establishing that XM may be a doing better as a company has absolutely nothing with the question. He already has a Sirius radio, and was merely asking if people liked their Sirius service, and if he should also subscribe.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
robdamanii said:
Ahh, I've seen a lot of different things on Howards contract.
You've seen/read Howard's actual contract, or your assuming his contract? 2 days ago the New York Post & Fox news said Stern was being censored, Sirius was dropping Stern, which is 100% false. However Stern does have a delay button to censor out things HE feels is inappropriate. You really don't know as much as you really wanna think you do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
People who are militantly brand loyal are like hard-core republicans or hard-core democrats, incapable of independent thought.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Brian HCM#1 said:
You've seen/read Howard's actual contract, or your assuming his contract? 2 days ago the New York Post & Fox news said Stern was being censored, Sirius was dropping Stern, which is 100% false. However Stern does have a delay button to censor out things HE feels is inappropriate. You really don't know as much as you really wanna think you do.
Did I say I read his contract? No. I said I've read press releases and various news outlets reports on his contract. No kidding they can't censor him...they can't censor ANYONE on satellite.

Why the hell would stern push a delay button for something that would have no consequences? Does that make sense? Stern was always about pushing the envelope, but he's done nothing original in the last 10 years. Hell, he spent his first week playing the pat o'brien sex tapes that Xm subscribers heard 5 months ago. That's original. :rolleyes:

Bottom line: what's on my dashboard is a superior full package to what's on your dashboard. If you listen to one channel, good for you, money well spent. I don't listen to a single channel exclusively, so I enjoy having all those options to go back anf forth from. I also enjoy having the ability to take my unit wherever I choose to go and listen live wherever I go. If you don't get the same mileage out of it, that's your issue. I know my unit carries superior programming from a company that is ahead for a reason, and will continue to improve upon that service BECAUSE they are a well run, intelligent business.

EOD.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Rob is like that guy who buys a mongoose from wal mart, but wont admit its crap. So he starts tricking it out. Putting a psylo and some rhino lites on it, but it still sucks, but he's all "The frame is just as good guys" but he knows the truth deep down.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Westy said:
People who are militantly brand loyal are like hard-core republicans or hard-core democrats, incapable of independent thought.
Well there's no point in looking at other points of view when you're always right :p

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
robdamanii said:
Are you f'ing nuts? Fender blows compared to Gibson, although Gibson's quality control has dropped pretty significantly in the past few years, or so I understand.

Militancy my rear. It's a fact that XM as a company is doing better than Sirius. I'm not contending that people like to listen to what they like to listen to....I'm pointing out that XM as a company has more to offer and is in a better spot to offer more to the listener.

And BS, if you're a bears fan, I'd expect you to buy crap like Sirius. :eviltongu
Quality control has dropped...or so you understand...:rolleyes:

Comentary about something you have no idea about...

Hows that Mongoose of yours? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.