Quantcast

SixSixOne Evolution Helmet

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Oh man, Jasons, hurry up on that release date, budday! I'm in dire need of a new lid! I've actually NEVER liked any of the 661 lids...but this might just draw me over!

And on the other hand, there's the DOT lids... I sweat like a whore on TwoDollar Tuesdays when I ride, so it really isn't going to matter what I'm wearing. Hell, maybe more padding means less sweat in my damn face. But I've always prefered small looking helmets. If I can't stretch a hoodie or my windbreaker hood over it when pushing to a peak on a windy 16 degree day, I hate it. However, I guess with few vents a moto lid might be nice there, too!
So my question: what is THE physically smallest DOT lid out there? The TLD SEs look damn close to a D2, but I've never held one...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
So I've been reading a bunch of stuff and a little more about Iride's theory that DOT lids are more hazzardous in a DH race than an MTB lid would be...
Anyone else feel this way? I disagree. I think. With thicker and more of the crushable foam, it's already LOGICALLY more protective. And during DH, mtn bikes are NOT going much slower than an MX is by the time they hit the skids and bail. We don't really have that option in our sport. In defense of an MTB lid, I've landed on nothing but my head off a 35' canyon jump after getting kicked hard. No concussion or anything, but I wasn't quite right for awhile. So that was easily 30mph into a flat landing. No cracks in the lid, but I replaced it anyway. Now how would an MX lid have faired? In Irides opinion, I would have been brained because the impact was "too slow" to utilize the helmets crush zone? Am I understanding you correctly, man? That doesn't sit right with me. So, technically then, street riders(motor) should be wearing MTB helmets when just riding around town? Speeds under 30... I wouldn't even wear my Giro Remedy on my poochy old enduro. And i KNOW I go faster on my MTB!
Wasn't there a thing awhile back about them wanting to enforce DOT lids in DH racing, or atleast in the Worlds or something like that?
I dunno..I see it as DOT=safe, heavy, hot. MTB=adequate, light, vented.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
The photo that was attached above was actually a photoshopped photo for a catalog. The visor on that one really wasn't there. Here are some photos of the actual carbon helmets and visor. They are real early samples as far as the graphics go, so colors and lines will change slightly for production. They will probably be ready in the US somewhere around mid March.

Attachments

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
So I've been reading a bunch of stuff and a little more about Iride's theory that DOT lids are more hazzardous in a DH race than an MTB lid would be...
Anyone else feel this way? I disagree. I think. With thicker and more of the crushable foam, it's already LOGICALLY more protective. And during DH, mtn bikes are NOT going much slower than an MX is by the time they hit the skids and bail. We don't really have that option in our sport. In defense of an MTB lid, I've landed on nothing but my head off a 35' canyon jump after getting kicked hard. No concussion or anything, but I wasn't quite right for awhile. So that was easily 30mph into a flat landing. No cracks in the lid, but I replaced it anyway. Now how would an MX lid have faired? In Irides opinion, I would have been brained because the impact was "too slow" to utilize the helmets crush zone? Am I understanding you correctly, man? That doesn't sit right with me. So, technically then, street riders(motor) should be wearing MTB helmets when just riding around town? Speeds under 30... I wouldn't even wear my Giro Remedy on my poochy old enduro. And i KNOW I go faster on my MTB!
there was a bunch of banter a few months back in another thread from some "industry folk" who tried to dispell the myths re DOT vs. MTB-specific lids. The ASTM 1952 seems the most logical but in spite of all this i personally went w/ a 661 Flight Hurricane (DOT helmet) based solely on fit. Check out this thread for more info:http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183558&highlight=full+face+suggestions

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Owww.......my damn eyes hurt now. That was an info-overload.
I think I'm mostly in shock cuz I didn't realize that Punkass was ejukated.... just thought he was mouthy! :) Nah, J/K...
So I'm slowly understanding that Moto lids are overkill. Not that they are more helmet than necessary, but because the padding and design actually REQUIRES you to hit the ground harder to make it useful...!? Cool. So that means, if I were racing in a moto lid I would need to be fully pinned to be sure that if I went down, it would be the only way to prevent a martini'd brain.
The mouthguard stuff is what really bothers me. It's the reason we wear a fullface, right? I DON'T understand how an MX lid's can crush easier than a DH lid though... I mean, wouldn't they try to be sure your face isn't crushed by a truck's grill, or another riders moto in the case of MX? Strange.
So...basically we need to put our trust, our teeth, and our brains in the hands of all these 4 lettered standard agencies and hope for the best...? Alrighty...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
And can someone smarter than me...again..please help me understand the problem with the Blacklite helmet? It's DOT...but not SNELL approved. What's that mean? Is it DH or MX?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Damn, just when I found out that THE are importing properly to the UK, 661 go and make my decision a damn sight harder!I like the shape, I like the ASTM rating. The only thing I'm not too sure on is the 'distressed' graphics on the composite. More colours in the race style graphics please!

ajay

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Melbourne, AUS
Yeah ive always disliked the graphics on 661 lids. The fit well (this years bravo excluded), protect well etc, but the graphics need some attention. every year its just some generic MX lines from 10 years ago.

661 need to look at skateboards for some graphic inspiration...

The shape does indeed look trick though :cool:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
You mean like the "distressed" look?? I'd call that pretty damn original for 661. In fact, if it weren't for the big "Circle Six" on the side, I'd never know it was a 661 lid. I absolutely DESPISE the ridiculously boring straight lines, dull colors, general lack of personality that most racers seem to prefer. Blah...
I'm REALLY stuck between a "distressed" Evolution and a D2. I have a feeling that availability will be a deciding factor right now.

ajay

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Melbourne, AUS
You mean like the "distressed" look?? I'd call that pretty damn original for 661. In fact, if it weren't for the big "Circle Six" on the side, I'd never know it was a 661 lid. I absolutely DESPISE the ridiculously boring straight lines, dull colors, general lack of personality that most racers seem to prefer. Blah...
I'm REALLY stuck between a "distressed" Evolution and a D2. I have a feeling that availability will be a deciding factor right now.
THat design is actually quite cool - remeniscent of the peaty D2... The others posted above (actual photos, not artist mock ups) are boring as bat ****. Its the same 'ol style regurgitated year after year. I dont work in graphics, but surely it cant be that arduous to churn out a few originals, even if they do push the square a little a la the D2 Chittos. Besides the "distressed" design, I think its fair to say that up until that particular lid, the designs have been quite lack lustre.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i really like this helmet, i think i'm going to be replacing my old red giro mad max with either the 661 or a giro remedy. question about DOT helmets, since they are a motorcycle rating, aren't they not so great for low speed impacts?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Amen bruddah. I think the most original design in HELMETS lately, is the grafitti style one TLD just released. But it seems like EVERYONE has a list of what to put on their helmets: a lil Fleur De Lis, a skull, a lion, some pinstriping, and the ever-present flame. Wallah! The Top Shelf Special in Original Design.
TLD WAS cutting edge in graphics, seems like they ran out of steam and ideas...OR they've been listening to too many no-nonsense racer types who like the "clean simple race lines." Yawn...
Helmets are like Hybrid cars...maybe if they didn't look like a freezer burnt breakfast burrito, people would be more willing to pay for them and use them.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
i really like this helmet, i think i'm going to be replacing my old red giro mad max with either the 661 or a giro remedy. question about DOT helmets, since they are a motorcycle rating, aren't they not so great for low speed impacts?
Ummm...did you read any of the last 2 pages of (mostly me) babbling? Check that link that Dangerous E posted up for me. Good stuff. And a LOT of stuff. Take notes.

EDIT: And I really did like those old Mad Maxs, was kinda bummed when they stopped making them. I've got a Remedy right now...fits great, like all Giros, but just HATE that stupid visor! I think it's making me slower, like an emergency chute or something. What size head you got, sell it to you cheap!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
nope, i actually didn't read the last two pages....i read the first and then asked my question, pardon my laziness. thanks for the offer on the helmet, but i've got my eyes set on one of the new color schemes for 08.

edit: so it seems like i got it beforehand, the astm standard is actually a little safer for mtb riding overall. i mean, i can see needing a DOT helmet if riding something really rocky where you're going to smash your head directly on a rock at high speeds, but otherwise, i think that astm sounds like a much better standard for bikes. i'm going to try astm for sure, see how it goes, but DOT would probably be the way to go for really rocky high speed areas.

MR.A

Chimp
Apr 5, 2008
germany
are there any news about availability?
On Chainreactioncycles they changed the delivery dates from march
to april, and now to end of june.
When i take a look at the customer website i can´t find a single information about that helmet?

sorry for bad english

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Haven't seen/heard anything yet either. I'm back to looking at one as well, I picked up a D2 and I'm not liking the goggle fitment. Plus it's like half the helmet my Remedy was, even though I KNOW it's one of the most pupular fullfaces on the market, I think I'd feel safewr again in my Giro, just hate the looks of it...
Hoping the Evolution will be the answer!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
The Fox's are DOPE. About time, too! The first run couldn't have made me anymore sleepy! Now they need to make the forks match! Anything's beeter than their "Soft white" and "Sleepy gray"

And are those scuff pads under the rear edge of the visor??? SWEET!

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
The Fox's are DOPE. About time, too! The first run couldn't have made me anymore sleepy! Now they need to make the forks match! Anything's beeter than their "Soft white" and "Sleepy gray"

And are those scuff pads under the rear edge of the visor??? SWEET!
You know the suspension manufacturer and the clothing/protection company have nothing to do with each other right?