Quantcast

Sizing a light freeride / Allmountain frame

Evan55

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
Im looking at building up a Giant Reign X but Im having trouble figuring out what the right size for me is. Im new to aggressive and gravity oriented riding as well so Im shooting in the dark here and unfortunately no shops in this area carries this kind of bike to test ride.
The type of riding I will do with this bike is all mountain riding (including riding up the mountain), local shuttle runs, heavy XC/trail, maybe some SuperD racing, and occasionally a chairlifted bike park. So it needs to be gravity-able but still climbable too. (I already ordered a 36 talas so I can shorten the fork for climbs)

Im 6'2", 210 lbs, a little leggy and shorter in the torso. For XC, I ride size "Large" (19.5"-20" seat tube) which for my AnthemX has a 24" top tube and I use a 100mm stem which fits me great.

Size Large for the Reign X has the same 24" top tube. Is it a mistake to size this bike similarly to my XC bike?
I could go down to a 60mm or so stem to shorten the reach but Im not sure how that would affect handling or climbing.

thoughts, experience, and opinions appreciated, thanks

Jprice6045

Chimp
May 26, 2009
hey dude. I got the large 09 reign x2. Im also about 6'2" about 180 ish. But i found the bike to be very good, minus the brakes. As for fitting, I thought it fit well for my size. Warning though, not the best climber but it will do. Who wants to climb a mountain anyway?? Great when pointed in the right direction (Down!!). Have you checked out the 2010? think they look great. Hope this helps a little.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm approaching 6'6". My bike has a 24.5" effective TT. I run it with a 50mm stem. For an aggressive bike, go a bit shorter in the cockpit. In your case, I'd do this with a shorter stem, NOT a smaller frame. I do from time to time ride a HT with a 23.5 ETT. For me that is tiny, and I have to run a really tall stack height to get it to feel right. Another thing to note is that a wider bar can help a bit as well.

In short, stick with the L, but use a 50mm stem, and a wider bar (28"-30").

Compared to what you are used to now, the bike will climb less well, but will descend far better. You will be surprised what the 2" (50mm) difference, along with the slacker head angle does for you. I sure was. It will feel really odd on the flats, but once things get steep, you will feel right at home.

Last edited:

Spudnic

Chimp
Feb 27, 2010
Santa Maria
Just bought a 09 Reign x in a medium. I am 6'2" 205lbs and i feel it fits me perfect. Just need to swap out the fork (Talas) and get the Joplin seat post to make it more xc friendly.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm approaching 6'6". My bike has a 24.5" effective TT. I run it with a 50mm stem. For an aggressive bike, go a bit shorter in the cockpit. In your case, I'd do this with a shorter stem, NOT a smaller frame. I do from time to time ride a HT with a 23.5 ETT. For me that is tiny, and I have to run a really tall stack height to get it to feel right. Another thing to note is that a wider bar can help a bit as well.

In short, stick with the L, but use a 50mm stem, and a wider bar (28"-30").

Compared to what you are used to now, the bike will climb less well, but will descend far better. You will be surprised what the 2" (50mm) difference, along with the slacker head angle does for you. I sure was. It will feel really odd on the flats, but once things get steep, you will feel right at home.
:stupid:

I'm not that tall, but all my bikes, from my 19# XC hardail to my DH bike have TTs that are very close in length. I just run a big spectrum of stem lengths, 120-50mm depending on the application.