Quantcast

sizing for a balfa

I'm 6 foot 185 lbs
I'm looking at a balfa 2-step dh (03)
I like to ride and DH and freeride. I live near northstar so I get lift access there, but normally I have to ride to the top of my trails.
anyway...do you guys think that a regular would fit me? or should I hold out on this bike (good deal) and wait for a long?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
If you like a small bike you should be good. I'm not 100% on the 2 step. I ride a regular size bb7 and I'm 5'11"(I like the big BMX feel so I love it). Oh well hope this helps.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
in my opinion I think you might be a little cramped on the 2003 - I'm 5'9" just barely and I had a 2003 demo 2step DH and it was fine for freeriding or DH type riding, but seemed to be kind of cramped in the cockpit for any type of extended riding. It came with a 250mm seatpost I think and when I used it to trail ride (when I had a chance - it was taken out as a demo quite often) I used my longer seatpost off of my Belair to get a little more room in the cockpit.

Is the bike close enough to you that you can demo it? I think I know which bike you are referring to and the price is right.

Its such a sweet deal that it's hard to pass up. especially because it is exactly what I'm looking for. and coming off a small street, dj bike I probably want a small frame anyway. But this bike needs to be able to go up (probably just drop it down to granny for 45 minutes or so). so I'm a little concerened about leg extension.

and no, I'm to far away to demo it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I don't know how the BB7 compares but I'm just over 6 foot and my '03 long (this years reg) feels a bit short. It's fine if your riding really aggro but I wack my knees when I pedal and I wish I could mve around more in the cockpit. Some people like that small big BMX feel. I prefer a larger cockpit.

But hey, when your buying used, sometimes your willing to take a chance to save a bunch of coin.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by gborden
how high can I raise the seatpost?? High enough to make a difference? what seatpost sixe does the frame accept...maybe I could get one of those axiom telescopic deals.
It takes a 27.2 mm seatpost. The one in the frame now is probably 250mm long. I would use a 350mm seatpost and it would lengthen out the cockpit a good amount. A telescopic seatpost might not be a bad idea either.

That bike in question has smart sized crank arms on it for it to work well in rooty rocky terrain that's for sure. The current owner made a smart move there. You could also use 170mm crankarms and be in good shape too - which would give you a little more leg extension room.

The frame can accept two chainrings, which is nice, and once you get the drivetrain dialed in, it'll work well with two. Works even better as a 1x9 set-up though.

Have you been in contact with the seller? How tall is he and what does he think about it.

If you ride a lot of lift assisted trails this thing will rock and it is a really good pedaller too for when you have to climb on it.

Ask more questions of the seller and try and PM Lex who is an RM member and also look in the Colorado forum for Bldr_freerider (aka Yosei) - I'm not sure how tall he is, but he's riding the crap out of my 2003 Demo and really loves the bike.

Originally posted by MMcG

The frame can accept two chainrings, which is nice, and once you get the drivetrain dialed in, it'll work well with two. Works even better as a 1x9 set-up though.

Have you been in contact with the seller? How tall is he and what does he think about it.

If you ride a lot of lift assisted trails this thing will rock and it is a really good pedaller too for when you have to climb on it.
the seat post thing won't work... axiom only make em in 30's.
can I get a 350mm seat post far enough down to be out of the way for decents?

the frame in question already has two chain rings, which is one reason I'm so into it. It has an evil DRS (dual ring security).

the seller is 5'10 and he thinks it would be fine for me. he says his friends ride the regulars and love em, and they're all a little taller than him. But he is the seller and who can blame him if he gives the bike a biased slant?

I plan on buying a season pass at Northstar (local ski resort) this summer and doing that a lot. but most of my friends and my dad are into XC so I want to be able to ride with them occasionally (once or twice or thee time a week). (they all ride hecklers and slayers (rm))

thanks for all the help

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by gborden
the seat post thing won't work... axiom only make em in 30's.
can I get a 350mm seat post far enough down to be out of the way for decents?

the frame in question already has two chain rings, which is one reason I'm so into it. It has an evil DRS (dual ring security).

the seller is 5'10 and he thinks it would be fine for me. he says his friends ride the regulars and love em, and they're all a little taller than him. But he is the seller and who can blame him if he gives the bike a biased slant?

I plan on buying a season pass at Northstar (local ski resort) this summer and doing that a lot. but most of my friends and my dad are into XC so I want to be able to ride with them occasionally (once or twice or thee time a week). (they all ride hecklers and slayers (rm))

thanks for all the help
Try to PM Lex and Bldr_Freerider - you can find his info in the Y riders thread in the Colorado Locals forum.

Balfa really only made that one size for 2003 and it is a sweet frame - but you have to feel comfortable on it. I felt like I could get the seat low enough with the 350mm seatpost for descents, but it wouldn't go all the way down. You could utilize two different seatpost/saddle combos - one for DH and one for when you needed to pedal and climb - that's certainly an option. YOu'd just have to get one additional seatpost and you'd be all set.

I'm not sure who else on the forum is riding a 2Step DH but hopefully they'll chime in with their thoughts.

That bike looks sick in white!

thanks
I PM'd those two guys. so hopefully they can give me some feedback. like that last guy said

Originally posted by buildyourown

But hey, when your buying used, sometimes your willing to take a chance to save a bunch of coin.
so maybe it's worth it. worst comes to worst, it's too small and I trade it for a larger frame like bullit or something. or I just ride it anyway and suck it up, and go to Northstar more often!:D

WSBS

Chimp
Dec 7, 2003
I ride the '03 2 step DH, in a regular size, I'm 5'6 and it fits me perfect. I would have to say that it would be too small for you... the top tube is very short, under 19 inches. It's a great bike, carves corners and manuals like a dream! I don't think a 6 foot rider would have enough room on this bike though. The new 04 version will be bigger, and with a higher bb. Cool that some other people are talking about the 2 step, one of the most under rated bikes out there. The rear linkage works like magic, no side to side flex, can I say it's a semi virtual pivot?! Wait for the 04 2 step to come out, it will fit you a lot better.

wsbs

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by WSBS
I ride the '03 2 step DH, in a regular size, I'm 5'6 and it fits me perfect. I would have to say that it would be too small for you... the top tube is very short, under 19 inches. It's a great bike, carves corners and manuals like a dream! I don't think a 6 foot rider would have enough room on this bike though. The new 04 version will be bigger, and with a higher bb. Cool that some other people are talking about the 2 step, one of the most under rated bikes out there. The rear linkage works like magic, no side to side flex, can I say it's a semi virtual pivot?! Wait for the 04 2 step to come out, it will fit you a lot better.

wsbs
I agree the long will fit you much better. They're pretty short bikes.

I also STRONGLY agree with the fact that 2Steps are among the most underrated frames out there. I own one (regular 2Step, not the 2StepDH) and I'll ride it until it fails. I'd seriously have a hard time replacing my bike with another one. There are too few options out there for a DC fork compatible and short travel DH bike. If Turner would make a 6" version of the Rail, it would be cool. Otherwise, the Intense V8 should be pretty sweet. I don't want a full-on-DH machine designed for high speed stuff. I want a steep and light bike not designed to be fast but more designed to be agile and fun. The 2Step is right on the money for that.