Quantcast

Skate parking

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I've been out to a local skate park a couple of times on the HT and have gotten hooked.

Most of the information that I have found online says "No Bikes". The place where I went had a small sign disallowing bikes, but I was there when most of the boarders were still asleep.

My question is this. How much are these bike-unfriendly rules enforced?

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I've always found that as long as you go when there is not a lot of people (skaters & spectators) and act like you know what you're doing, you should be fine. Just remember that if you're in a park that doesn't allow bikes, YOU ARE TRESSPASSING; so don't do anything that will get you thrown out. Don't drop in on anyone, don't throw your bike around like an idiot, don't leave tire tracks everywhere, and if you run pegs don't grind anything but metal coping.
I've seen all of the above happen and it made for some tense moments every time.
It also helps if you carry youself like you being there ain't no big thang. You know, talk to skaters, clap when they do something cool; just act like you belong.
Also keep in mind that most skateparks are there due to the hard work and lobbying of skaters, and us bikers only started showing up and looking for a hand out when riding in parks became trendy.
Which parks have you been hitting?

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Yeah, what sounds like common sense to you and me is a foreign language to others.
How is Renton on 26", I've heard that the trannies are pretty tight even for 20".

Jun 18, 2004
the main damage from bikes is from peg's, bar ends, and to hard landings on wood...

aslong as you don't smack your bar ends into cement and make chips or cracks that cause tiny skateboard wheels to jam everything should be alright...

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
check out puyallip skatepark! it is a wood park but it is fraking awsome! it is bike frendly too! oh and it is lighted so you can ride at night!

if you ever go there send me a pms cause i live about 10 min for there!

Sep 8, 2004
The Puyallup park is a blast, it can get kind of busy there once school is out, so its a good idea to get there early.

-James

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
i have found that if you just come out and ask the skaters if you can putt around and stuff, and more often than not...behind that "badass" front most of them put up....a nice person will come out and say no they dont mind. i've never had one tell me they minded...except when i went in at like 330 in the after noon mid summer day....CROWDED MUCH?? ya just go when not too many or none are there and you should be fine. renton is fun, but the auburn flow park is pretty fun too...

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
the best skatepark for biking that i've found is redmond
there are usually more bikers than skaters and fruit-booters combined
mountain biking is completely accepted at this park
there are also large lights that say on til about 9:30 or 10pm so you can go at night
plus there are tons on bike friendly lines
overall, its just the best

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
yeah redmond kicks ass, just dont get into other people's way-- some of teh BMXers can be bigger dicks then the skaters

scbiker06

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Washington
ok ok ok... redmond is cool. skatebarn for rainy days or tz. depends where you live. Also woodinville is cool.. a lot of people go there on mtbs... the lights turn off at 10:08.. i go there a lot so i know. lol... i hear renton cops get pissed if they catch you

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
If you can go to any park in either the middle of the day or after 7:30 - 8:00 there will be a lot less people, sometimes none.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I like Renton alot, the lines are tight but the features are really cool. When I lived in the north end I used to ride the Mukilteo park alot, but always early. I've heard the day crowd is very surly, but I leave whenever anyone shows up so I can't vouch for that.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
scottjustscott said:
I've always found that as long as you go when there is not a lot of people (skaters & spectators) and act like you know what you're doing, you should be fine. Just remember that if you're in a park that doesn't allow bikes, YOU ARE TRESSPASSING; so don't do anything that will get you thrown out. Don't drop in on anyone, don't throw your bike around like an idiot, don't leave tire tracks everywhere, and if you run pegs don't grind anything but metal coping.
I've seen all of the above happen and it made for some tense moments every time.
It also helps if you carry youself like you being there ain't no big thang. You know, talk to skaters, clap when they do something cool; just act like you belong.
Also keep in mind that most skateparks are there due to the hard work and lobbying of skaters, and us bikers only started showing up and looking for a hand out when riding in parks became trendy.
Which parks have you been hitting?
Thank You!