Quantcast

skateparks open to bikes

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
hey there -
i'm a trail-mtb guy, but am interested in trying to ride a skatepark on my hardtail. which parks in the bay area are open to bikes?

thanks y'all.

-rob in SF

D

Dingus McGee

Well, I'm not sure about the municpal parks around SF, but if you want to check out a corporate megapark go to the Vans skatepark at the Great Mall in Milpitas. I stopin there playing hookey from work and it's preftty huge, wood and 'crete, indo and outdo....they allow bikes, but I don't know when. There are about 3 skaters there midweek (while schools in session ) I am trying to get up the nerve to get back in the pool after a 20 year haitus from vert riding.

A little info-

-snip- from a BMX page

What do they have? They have a lot of really nice ramps and a few good cement bowls. There's a huge vert half-pipe - it's sunk half-way into the ground so they have enough ceiling hieght above the coping. There's a really wide mini-half about 6 foot tall with a slight angle in the middle. There's a big section of street style ramps, some small about 3 foot and more ramps about 4 - 5ft - transitions with coping, a lot of flat banks, some sub boxes, grind boxes. Cement bowls... there's one called Mickey Mouse, sort of a multi-bowl about 3 - 6ft deep, not vert. An old-school swimming pool style bowl with concrete pool coping about 8-9 ft deep in the deep end with lots of vert (may be off limits to bikes). And a washboard roller thing that goes down into a wide quarter pipe at the deep end, maybe 7 - 8ft deep with lots of vert.

The Vans skatepark is at the Great Mall in Milpitas.
1150 Great Mall Dr. Milpitas, CA, 95035
(408) 262-0703