Quantcast

Ski Bike Build

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
mtnbrider said:
Does anyone know how tall the winter x mounts are? I'm puting my bike together with 2x4s to figure out the geometry.
Dude, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but theres no need to post the same questions in both threads. Keep one alive and let the other one die, theres no need to have two threads about the same thing at the same time.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtnbrider said:
Does anyone know how tall the winter x mounts are? I'm puting my bike together with 2x4s to figure out the geometry.
The winterXbike mounts are 6 inch i believe and they have a xc extender that brings your front axle height back to the same as if it were on wheels they offer it to leave a wheel on the rear and I would recomend buy it if you buy their kits you will def want to raise the front end.

I am running 6 1/2 inch mounts in the rear and 10 1/2 in the front with a 100mm Judy dc if you run a tall fr fork you wont need the extra mount height. Just shoot for a good fr rake no matter what frame you use and it will handle great on the snow and don't worry about the head angle cause it won't matter at all on the snow !

When you get the mount building down just build afew for the front at different heights and experiment.

And remember I father'd all this :D :D

Duane

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
sleepinggiant said:
Dude, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but theres no need to post the same questions in both threads. Keep one alive and let the other one die, theres no need to have two threads about the same thing at the same time.
Man what a jerk :D

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
deweydude said:
The winterXbike mounts are 6 inch i believe and they have a xc extender that brings your front axle height back to the same as if it were on wheels they offer it to leave a wheel on the rear and I would recomend buy it if you buy their kits you will def want to raise the front end.

I am running 6 1/2 inch mounts in the rear and 10 1/2 in the front with a 100mm Judy dc if you run a tall fr fork you wont need the extra mount height. Just shoot for a good fr rake no matter what frame you use and it will handle great on the snow and don't worry about the head angle cause it won't matter at all on the snow !

When you get the mount building down just build afew for the front at different heights and experiment.

And remember I father'd all this :D :D

Duane

I will be running an exr (49.3 cm A-C) in front, should I get the xc fr the front, then use the regular back one w/ a riser (that i can make).

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtnbrider said:
I will be running an exr (49.3 cm A-C) in front, should I get the xc fr the front, then use the regular back one w/ a riser (that i can make).
You wont need an extender in the rear:confused: just build your bike with axle heights of 6 to7 inches off the ground in the rear and 10 to 11 in the front or use a long travel fork keep the center of gravity as low as you can but give the bike a tall freeride stance in the front and as I said don't worry about HA it wont matter.......

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I got the frame last night. Today, I cut 2x4 skis to see what it would look like and to see different lengths. I carved the steer tube on a 2x4 to make a fork w/ correct a-c ( I know slackness doesn't matter). I just wanted to see the geometry.

On the wooden skis. THe red marks are 85cm and the white marks are 95cm. The end color is the end of that size. The middle marks are where the axle goes over the skis (the middle).

Overview
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/My Ski Bike/05 11 1/DSCN0456.jpg

The fork
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/My Ski Bike/05 11 1/DSCN0445.jpg

The measurements
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/My Ski Bike/05 11 1/DSCN0450.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/My Ski Bike/05 11 1/DSCN0452.jpg

Setup w/ 85cm skis
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/My Ski Bike/05 11 1/DSCN0447.jpg
Setup w/ 95cm skis
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/My Ski Bike/05 11 1/DSCN0457.jpg

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I put it up on things to see the height.

10"-front...6"-rear

8"-front...6"-rear

6.5"-front...6"-rear

I think the lowest one would be the best.....for the winter x mounts, I could just put a spacer up front an inch or so. I am only 5'3 and 125lbs anyway.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Holy sh!t man that looks awesome:drool: Why aint you on the slopes yet?:D :D

If that is the fork you are going to use you are going to want the tall mounts go at least 8 in. high in the front or use a tall fork with the 6inch mount
the rake of the bike looks good with the 8 inch mount even bettetr at 10

Attachments

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
wydopen said:
jst run the 2x4 and paint can setup..it looks pretty dialed to me:rolleyes:
Bah, you're just being a Negative-Nancy. It's a pretty creative way of setting up the bike to be able to look at the geometry without having anything but the frame.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks, I will just get the basic mounts and put a riser. I will make a few risers, to see how it will feel. THe xc mount is way tall.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am going to get 2" bars and a stem. I was thinking oversized bars, but maybe i should just get the standard. Is there not enough difference to justify the extra cost?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
In CA, Mt baldy, a few places in Tahoe.

How do I mount the skis? They have no holes. I may have a shop do it. Can threaded sleeves (like snowboards have) be put in the holes (w/ multiple holes for different mount locations)? With a few different mounting positions available I could experiment with ski placement.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
irishMonkey said:
Where can u ride those.
Here is a list of ski bike friendly resorts
Any near you? you should try this:drool:

I have the two in smileys and an awesome back country 4.5 mile shuttle run on Mount Hood an hour away

State Resort & Details
Alberta, Canada Nakiska Ski Resort - Host to the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics, Namiska is world class, and allows ski-bikes.

Alberta, Canada Lake Louise Ski Resort - Consistently voted one of the top ski resorts in North America, Lake Louise allows ski-bikes.

Alberta, Canada Sunridge Ski Area - A resort in Edmonton with a dedicated snow-tube park.

Alberta, Canada Wintergreen Ski and Golf Resort - Just 30 minutes west of Calgary, Wintergreen allows ski-bikes.

Alberta, Canada Sunshine Village - A Banff resort that's open to ski-bikes.

Alberta, Canada Fortress Mountain - Located an hour and fifteen minutes west of Calgary, Fortress offers wide-open trails, a relaxed atmosphere and plenty of room for ski-biking.

British Columbia, Canada Phoenix Mountain - A small resort near Grand Forks that allows ski-bikes.

California Sierra-at-Tahoe Ski Resort - - Sierra-at-Tahoe SnowSport Resort is located 12 miles west of South Lake Tahoe, California, and offers 2,000 acres of trail and tree skiing, snowboarding and snowbikes.

California • Dodge Ridge Skiing and Snowboarding - Located in Northern California's High Sierra mountains.

California Boreal Mountain Resort - Lake Tahoe California/Nevada - Boreal now rents the monotrac skibike.

California Northstar at Tahoe - Northstar at Tahoe, CA -One of Lake Tahoe’s family destination resorts

Colorado Arapahoe Basin - Arapahoe Basin offers the highest skiable terrain in North America.

Colorado Durango Mountain Resort - One of the Ski-Bike friendliest resorts around. We love them!

Colorado Buttermilk - Another ski resort in the Aspen area opening up to skibobs.

Colorado Copper Mountain - Copper Mountain is the largest ski area in Summit County, Colorado with over 2,400 acres.

Colorado Vail - Vail offers something unique: A guided tour at night using headlamps.

Colorado Telluride - allows ski-bikes

Connecticut Woodbury Ski Area - Resort in Connecticut that rents ski-bikes.

Manitoba, Canada Holiday Mountain - A resort in Manitoba that allows ski-biking.

Maryland Ski Wisp - a ski resort in MD that allows ski-bikes

Massachusetts Wachusett Mountain - Ski-bikes allowed on weekdays.

Montana Showdown - Ski resort in Monatana that also sells Brenter snowbikes/skibobs

Montana Blacktail Mountain Ski Area - Montana's Newest Ski Area

Montana Turner Mountain - Ski Magazine says, “The best lift assisted powder skiing in the U.S.”

Montana Big Mountain Ski & Summer Resort - Ski Resort in Whitefish, Montana that allows skibobs/snowbikes, and started renting them this year.

New Hampshire King Pine Resort - Family-owned resort in New Hampshire that allows ski-biking.

New Hampshire Loon Mountain Ski Resort - Located in Lincoln, NH. Offerings include skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, ski-biking, tubing and horseback riding.

New Hampshire Waterville Valley Ski Resort - Ski-bike rental available.

New Hampshire Crotched Mountain Resort - a small place in NH that allows the bikes

New Hampshire Cranmore - Another Booth Creek Resort in the New England area which allows ski-bikes.

New Mexico Angel Fire Ski Resort - Ski resort in New Mexico which has undergone some major changes and rents skibobs.

New Mexico · Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort, New Mexico - Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort is a year round family FUN paradise. Family owned and operated since 1952.

Rhode Island Yawgoo Valley - A ski-bike and snow-toy friendly resort.

Utah Brian Head Resort - Utah - Affordable Family Fun - Skiing, Snowboarding, Snotubing, Mountain Biking and More.

Utah Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort - Snowbird - for people with a passion for skiing and riding.

Washington Summit-at-Snoqualmie - Ski resort with four different places to start from. :D

Washington Mt. Baker Ski Area - Riders in Washington State need no introduction to Mt. Baker, which has allowed ski-bikes for years. :D

Wyoming Grand Targhee Ski Resort - Grand Targhee is a full-service, year-round resort in the heart of the Teton Mountains.

Source: American Ski-Bike Association. While this information is regularly updated, it's always a good idea to contact your destination resort to confirm permissible snow toys prior to your trip. Have fun!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
mtnbrider said:
In CA, Mt baldy, a few places in Tahoe.

How do I mount the skis? They have no holes. I may have a shop do it. Can threaded sleeves (like snowboards have) be put in the holes (w/ multiple holes for different mount locations)? With a few different mounting positions available I could experiment with ski placement.
deweydude, any idea?

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Are you buying the WinterXbike mounts then? If you do they come with all the hardware and instructions you need.

If you are making the mounts yourself set them up with as many mounting holes as you can at least 6 to 8 and go to a ski shop and get binding mounting screws the are self tapping and have a serrated shoulder to keep the screws from coming loose drill small pilot holes and set as many screws as you can.
Or for something you know is solid and won't come loose my mounts have 4 mounting holes and I drilled a 1/4 inch hole all the way through the ski adding a counter sink taper to the bottom side then use 1/4 x 20 bolts with a counter sinkable head through the ski then go to a ski shop and get some p-tech ( melt on compound ) for repairing gouges in ski's, P-tech over the heads then scrape it off for a smooth flat surface then wax and tune your ski's as usuall. so you will end up with studs mounted in the ski for mounting and still have a clean line on the bottom of the ski. A ski shop can help you with the p-tech and tuning just ask

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Oh and Nortwest ski bikers there is going to be a ski-biker gathering at Snoqualmie Pass on Sat Jan 21st come on out and join in should be alot of fun Hopefully we will have a great turnout of sno-riders.

I dont know that there will be any real organized events just a great day on the mountain with a big group of ski bikers

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Sounds cool, we need snow down here.

I'm getting the winter x mounts. How do they go in? Should I maybe do the drill/ptec thing? I think it would be cool if i could move the position around w/ a few threaded sleeve holes.

On the winter x site, I saw red anodized mounts. Can I get them like that from them? Or would I just have bullcrew do them? Are the pegs aluminum?

I emailed them week agoi and they haven't responded.:angry:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
wow this just got me really interested in ski-biking thanks a lot. I have a GT XCR 5000 would that work as a good ski bike. What would u suggest all in all for fork and frame travel?

Thanks

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
We have a Ski-Bike at my store made by K2 that is already built and ready to go. It retails for like $800 but we have it down to $400 something I think. Its up in our rafters. No one wants it. Haha. If you dont want to waste you time building one, let me know.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
im sorry, but this is just stupid. a fun novelty sure, but its almost as retarded as those ski-blade things. yes biking is great and so is snow, but the combination of the two yeilds a horribly disfigured bastard-child. just my two cents

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
dirtjumpP.1 said:
im sorry, but this is just stupid. a fun novelty sure, but its almost as retarded as those ski-blade things. yes biking is great and so is snow, but the combination of the two yeilds a horribly disfigured bastard-child. just my two cents
You my friend, obviously have not tried this...
And I personaly can remember when people like you gave the snow board the same attidude. Ski biking has been around well over a hundred years it is very popular in Europe. and it aint going no where

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
untitledsince89 said:
wow this just got me really interested in ski-biking thanks a lot. I have a GT XCR 5000 would that work as a good ski bike. What would u suggest all in all for fork and frame travel?

Thanks
Look at page 4. Its all about fork height and stuff. What fork size is your bike meant to have? If you put a big fork on a xc bike using it for snow, you will still probably break the headtube.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
dirtjumpP.1 said:
Try it before you flame. They're just as versatile as anything else on the mountain now. They're easy to learn, but the skills you can learn go on indefinitely. As DeweyDude said, they have just as much of a place on the mountains as skis and snowboards do.

If you're worried about looking "cool" on the mountains, watch someone throw some backflips, 3's, boost out of the pipe, whatever then tell me it is a gimmick.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2488063176991196231&q=crighton

Each to their own, I guess... I just hate seeing people who could potentially make this sport great try to shoot it down.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i never said it was nerdy or pansy.im not hatin'. its plenty impressive, plus that video had ramstein in it, which made it way better. it just seems silly to me.