Quantcast

Ski Bike Build

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Fair enough. I think I came on a little strong last night -- I was tired 'n such, so I apologize for sounding like a dick. I feel much better now though. :thumb:

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Now now boys, not everyone is going to like this stuff , and thats ok..
Most people think its real cool and most people won't leave us alone to ride when they see us on the mountain, but have you tried to get most people to throw a leg over one of these bikes very few will do it. But yet it comes so easy.and is so much fun.

This sport has survived in the shadows for over a hundred years , and is going to be around for a long time. You should do a ski-bike google search and check the history of ski-bikes its quite interesting .
And I know it is not likely to ever become an Olympic Event, I would just like to see more people interested in these to get more ski resorts to open their slopes to us.

I have yet to see one person on a ski bike that did not love it and want to do it again and build their own bikes.

If want to try it -have at it I promised you won't be sorry, if you don't thats ok too.. You just can't imagine what your missing:nopity: :oink:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Big bear and Baldy seem to be the place to ride them down here; but we need snow!!

Winter x is really pissing me off. I emailed them a while ago and they haven't replied. I called them the other day. When I called 1 866 winterx a recording gave a number that didn't work.

edit: I just checked the number; its actually 1 866 snowbike :D . I wrote it down a week ago before i went to the desert and forgot the number when we left. This is the first time i had internet in a week.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtnbrider said:
Big bear and Baldy seem to be the place to ride them down here; but we need snow!!

Winter x is really pissing me off. I emailed them a while ago and they haven't replied. I called them the other day. When I called 1 866 winterx a recording gave a number that didn't work.

edit: I just checked the number; its actually 1 866 snowbike :D . I wrote it down a week ago before i went to the desert and forgot the number when we left. This is the first time i had internet in a week.

You have no snow yet :p thats better than having your bike ready and no snow.

Try Randy @ (505) 350-9835 or (h) (505) 897-4187
randydkimball@aol.com

Ray at www.skibiker.com is also a winterXbike distributor. Check his site out great site and the guy is B!tchen way cool

Remember when you buy the kit to buy the xc extender to raise the front and you will be set with no fabbing stuff yourself

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
So many questions.........i haven't asked this before:

It seems like you would be sitting down a lot, so a big seat would be good. I also think it should be water proof, so it doesn't absorb water. (yes, I won't be pond skimming, but it could rain or
I could be in wet snow)

The azonic love seat would be good, but im not sure how to water proof it.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
A lot of times, depending on the way the bike is set up, you will stand more than you sit. With the Crighton, you stand the entire time. The seat acts more like a lever that allows you to get a lot of foce behind your lean. In your case, if the frame is fairly low (where the seat is about at your knees, maybe slightly below), that same "lever" will be present and it might be easier to turn, stop, etc. If not, you can sit.

In my opinion, sitting just looks plain goofy, especially if you stick your feet out to turn. This is purely aesthetic, though -- I'd imagine it is quite effective.

One thing I noticed when I was riding a bike set up with the WinterXbike kit, the skis don't have any stops on them so they can rotate as long as the frame/fork allow them to. I found that when I was really laying it down for a turn, the front ski's tip would flip up. This would cause me to go down pretty hard. You might get used to it enough to be able to avoid it, but if not, see if you can find a way to keep that from happening.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Question. I definetly think I would use the Winter X bike build kit. But now the only question would be which bike to use. I have an IH Yazuku Ojinik, my freeride bike as of now, which is beefed up pretty well, which would make it a nice snow bike, should I use my hardtail, or not even bother to use any of my good bikes and just build up a crappy frame I have lying around.

Thanks

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
untitledsince89 said:
Question. I definetly think I would use the Winter X bike build kit. But now the only question would be which bike to use. I have an IH Yazuku Ojinik, my freeride bike as of now, which is beefed up pretty well, which would make it a nice snow bike, should I use my hardtail, or not even bother to use any of my good bikes and just build up a crappy frame I have lying around.

Thanks
Your zakuza could be fun, but I would build up a seperate bike like I did. That way, when you go somewhere, you can bring the bikes and the ski bike.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
idk we I really just don't wanna tear up my good bike in the wetness, and pulling all the parts of is a pain. Whats the best choice from one of you vet ski-bikers hardtail or fully, which is better?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think a FS would be better, but a HT is simpler and cheaper. If I was using a FS, I would get a 5-6" travel bike. I'm doing a hardtail. Its cheaper and I don't need to worry about a fork.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
untitledsince89 said:
idk we I really just don't wanna tear up my good bike in the wetness, and pulling all the parts of is a pain. Whats the best choice from one of you vet ski-bikers hardtail or fully, which is better?

We have all built ski specifc bikes and just leave our dh bikes alone but we ride them year round here. We have even riden both in the same day just at different elavations So no conversion time.

I started with a hardtail for my 1st ski bike and it was awesome but when I went to a f.s. it was like why didn't I do this before?
So moral of the storie if you can go full suspension I would def recomend it:)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Deweydude, look at my post. Seat and ski mounting- I need help.

also, what would be a good grip in the snow? I was trying to find a lockon full waffle grip. But I don't think any exist. Maybe odi rogue grips ould be good for snow.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtnbrider said:
So many questions.........i haven't asked this before:

It seems like you would be sitting down a lot, so a big seat would be good. I also think it should be water proof, so it doesn't absorb water. (yes, I won't be pond skimming, but it could rain or
I could be in wet snow)

The azonic love seat would be good, but im not sure how to water proof it.

I am running that seat on my dh bike and really like it. The love seat is really a matter of personal preference people either love them or hate them and I for one :heart: mine. As far as putting one on your ski bike it would be fine ! But just as with a dh bike your not on the seat much and you use the seat between your legs when you are leaning the bike and carving, though I got to say if you are on a wide open groomed run with lots of room to carve around it is alot of fun to stay in the saddle with your lowside leg out you can lay the bike so low and really cut some b!tchen carves

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtnbrider said:
Deweydude, look at my post. Seat and ski mounting- I need help.

also, what would be a good grip in the snow? I was trying to find a lockon full waffle grip. But I don't think any exist. Maybe odi rogue grips ould be good for snow.

You're doing fine! As someone else stated you are really overthinking this! Have you got your mounts yet? Once you do and start puting this together you'll be suprised just how simple it is.

And after you are going at this you'll find little changes and tricks to soot your personal style of riding. Really there is no set way of doing this put your bike together the way you want it and then make adjustments and improovements as your riding progresses , so all and all it will be just like riding your bike:)

I am running odi lock-on grips on mine and they work fine

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was just wondering what would be a good grip. I'm going to go with the rogues. I know im overthinking, but I have to pick parts anyway so...

Is that seat waterproof? I don't want a seat that absorbs water like a sponge.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
most seats are water resistant, its not somthing that u have to worry about soaking that much water, anyways the love seats have a kevlar, skin. thats dewydude for the info, that helps a lot, also cheap FS bike or nicer, it makes me made I just threw a way a walmart 26 fully, that had a bent fork, it would have been prefect.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think if you are going with a walmart FS, you might as well go with a hardtail. Those shocks don't really do much. If its a good fs, do it.

Will kevlar allow water through?

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Don't worry about the seat it might get a little wet, but the foam does not have water-storing capacities compared to a sponge. I guarantee that just about any seat will be fine.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Ok, thanks. I got some new snowboard gloves that are kind of thin. They should be good on it. I ust got the fork and bars/stem. I will try to gte pics tonight.

Rxzen

Chimp
Jan 4, 2006
Hey Guys, been reading your post about ski bikes. I built up a 2001 Azonic Eliminator 3 seasons ago. This stuff is sick!! I've been a DH'er for 4 years and this is DH on the snow. DH frames make the best ski bikes. The slacked head angle is a must. 65-68degrees works very nice. The xbike bracket kits are bullet proof and take a beating. I'm a big guy (~250#'s) and have beat this thing for 3 seasons. No probples. I bought my kits from www.skibikefun.com. The guy is in New Mexico and will treat you right. Also check out www.skibikemagazine.com. Lots of great info.

Rxzen

Chimp
Jan 4, 2006
As for seats, I find the DH Azonic lounge seat to be my choice. I can get way back on the really steep stuff and still be on the seat.

Rxzen

Chimp
Jan 4, 2006
Lastly-go with suspension if you can for a ski bike build. If you want to huck in a half pipe....and yes..they do that...a BMX build is the bike of the day. But for big drops and cruisers...you need suspention. Even 1.5-2 inches is better than nothing.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Rxzen said:
Hey Guys, been reading your post about ski bikes. I built up a 2001 Azonic Eliminator 3 seasons ago. This stuff is sick!! I'
Welcome Where do you ride? Groomed ? park?

I live in Vancouver WA and have two resorts within driving distance and hopefully a third this season at HooDoo a couple hours away :dancing: Plus I do alot of back country big powder shuttle runs on Mount Hood :love:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Tomorrow, I'm getting an azonic love seat and rogue grips. I'm going to order the mounts tomorrow, then design a thing with an aluminum plate. I'm going to mount the ends of the the al. plate to a ski, then the winterX mounts will mount in the middle.

Mine is a hardrock ($69 on ebay). Its fine for my first ski bike. I could always get a cheap 5" FS on ebay later.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Yeah, I only made it up once, but it was still a ton of fun. I took a n00b up, so we mainly took some fast cruiser runs down some blues, but man, it was good to get back on the bike. I hope I can get up at least three more times, if not more. I might have to go up and find a booter -- just session that for a day and try to get 3's down.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
The snow was perfect this weekend, stayed fast all day, lots of new powder. We stayed all day and had a ball Sorry no action pics I had no time for that.......

Here are some pics from the meadow about half way down our back country trail on Mnt. Hood.

I couldn't have asked for a better day it was AWESOME :dancing: :dancing:

That is alot steeper than it looks in the pics. and we also got to play around in the groomed stuff. Even found some new jumps:cool: :thumb:

Attachments

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
:drool: I wish I lived there. Colorado has good stuff, but right now, nothing like that. It has been in the 60's-70's all week. It's pretty absurd for January, but at least I can ride my bike :thumb: