Quantcast

Ski Bike Build

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm starting to get the pieces for my ski bike. I got a cheap 15" hardrock SS on ebay. I'm waiting for it to come.

-> Is anyone selling a cheap/decent condition marzocchi exr pro? [bought]
-> I am also looking out for cheap/used 85cm skis. I would rather just get a short ski instead of cutting. Maybe I could find skis with a tail like the nose. Then I could go backwards.
-> I think i'm going to go for the winter x bike mounts. They are kind of expensive, but I like the springs they have.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Someone with experience would know better than me, but wouldn't the oil in the fork freeze in the cold? So wouldn't an undamped coil fork be better? How much did you get the frame for? I've got one I'm looking to sell so I'm wondering what other ones are going for.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bicyclist said:
Someone with experience would know better than me, but wouldn't the oil in the fork freeze in the cold? So wouldn't an undamped coil fork be better? How much did you get the frame for? I've got one I'm looking to sell so I'm wondering what other ones are going for.
oil doesn't "freeze".

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It wouldn't freeze; it would thicken. I talked to some people on here; they said it is a little stiff on the first run, but then it softens up as it warms.

edit: oh yeah: I got the '04 hardrock ss for $69 on ebay. You could probably get much more for it.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I've got a manitou six, and a judy tt. The tt has no oil! You could drain the six as well.

$40 for the six
$5+shipping for the judy.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I want oil/coil. How much travel do they have? For a ski bike, I want a fork that I can pretty much not have to worry about. How durable are those?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Bicyclist said:
How much did you get the frame for? I've got one I'm looking to sell so I'm wondering what other ones are going for.
me too mtbrider: u should have looked int he buy and sell i have a voodoo shangon w/ seatpost for 50$$ and there would be no shipping cause its in sb

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
oil doesn't "freeze".
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant thicken. I just know a lot of people complain about suspension compliance in the cold, so I thought it might be an issue.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
wydopen said:
me too mtbrider: u should have looked int he buy and sell i have a voodoo shangon w/ seatpost for 50$$ and there would be no shipping cause its in sb
DAMN, just my luck :oink: . Whatever, I got a nice bike though.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i have a kalloy 30.9 post i would sell for 15bucks

it is brand new, only marked on the bottom from me trying to force it into my frame and not realizeing it was the wrong size.

PM if you want it.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Is there a cheap durable waterproof headset? I think I want a pig because it will take anything. Should I just put a bunch of grease in the space between it and the frame. Does anyone have a cheap pig headset?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Bicyclist said:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant thicken. I just know a lot of people complain about suspension compliance in the cold, so I thought it might be an issue.

It's gotta get pretty cold for it to cause a problem, we use to ride in 10degree weather and the forks still worked. Better than most of us by the end of it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Don't grease the cups, grease the bearings. The cups shouldn't move. IRD makes a King knock-off with free bearing replacement for about half the cost.

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
mtnbrider said:
Where are the ski bikers?
they're here but i think were just watching. im almost as new to it as you, but as far as winter treats your gear. Dont worry about an expensive sealed headset. a $20 aheadset will do you fine. use bike specific/non hardening grease in the headset. for a fork if you want coil/oil fork just change the oil to a very light weight(blue in buzzy's i think)which even when the oil thickens up, will still flow farly easy.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Yea dude, a ski bike would be perfect for the backside of 154, i heard San Marcos Pass gets some good snow in the winter!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Yeah, theres a bunch of snow right now. In fact, we're snowed in. All the roads of the santa ynez valley are closed to the the 7' of snow. I had a long, clod walk through all the powder to school. I wish I had my ski bike built up. A motor w/ a snowmobile tread would be nice on it.

Maybe I should reconsider this whole thing and get a snowmobile instead. Then we could go to the grocery store. We're getting low on food. Being out in the middle of nowhere with 1 little grocery store, people might buy all the food. Its a good thing theres rednecks w/ ranches out here. We might have to resort to hunting, and fishing in the rivers.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
mtnbrider said:

I ran 90 cm ski's last year and went to 109 cm this year and man what a diff the bikes so much faster and stays afloat way better in deep powder !!!!!! What conditions to you expect to be running in ?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
medium powder- all around. At Mt Waterman, a small place in LA, I saw a ski moto (im pretty sure you can use them; im going to call ahead of time). THere wasn't alot of snow, but a good amount for LA.

I will take it up to lake tahoe (the places that allow them , I haven't been to), so I want it be be good all around. Maybe shorter would eb better for a first time. I will be doing groomed stuff also.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The FSA Sky Pilot Headset has forged chromoly lower cups and a 6061-T6 upper cup. There is a grease port for lower bearing. The Sky Pilot use TH Brand 36 degree micro angular contact bearings.
Is this a strong/durable one? Whats a grease port?

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
mtnbrider said:
Do you think I should use mtb or bmx bars? I saw bmx bars on some.
Wide MTB bars. The width will help the handling drastically. The Crighton (and some others... don't recall the name/s) use BMX bars because the front end is so low.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just got the frame. It came w/ a seatpost and a cheap cane creek aheadset manufactured by TH industries headset. I think it will be fine. I will try to take some pictures later.