Quantcast

Ski Bowl DH race fliers just landed in my inbox....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
See attachments for individual fliers.

Schedule cut and paste:

Hurricane Racing P.O.Box 320, 87000 E.Hwy. 26, Government Camp, OR 97028
Fax (503) 272-0240 Race Info Line – (503) 272-0146
Email: skibowlbikerace@aol.com
Print entry forms by accessing www.skibowl.com

Downhill

MAY 8th FAT TIRE FARM SPRING FLING DH No. 1
Sun Downhill Enduro on Mt.Hood

JUNE 18/19 T & E Cycles Challenge DH No. 2
Sat/Sun Downhill Event at Mt.Hood Skibowl

JULY 8/9 STATE GAMES OF OREGON DH No. 3
Fri/Sat presented by MT. TABOR SPORTS
Downhill Event at Mt.Hood Skibowl

JULY 30/31 SHILOH CYCLERY Skibowl’s DH No. 4
Sat/Sun Saturday Downhill Training and Sunday Race at Mt. Hood Skibowl

AUG 20/21 SHILOH CYCLERY Skibowl’s DH No.5
Sat/Sun Saturday Downhill Training and Sunday Race at Mt. Hood Skibowl

SEPT 9/10 SCOTTY GRAHAM MEMORIAL SERIES FINALS
Fri/Sat Downhill Event at Mt.Hood Skibowl DH No. 6

XC

MAY 1st Sun BEAR SPRINGS TRAP XC No. 1
Cross Country at McCubbins Gulch
JUNE 12th Sun T & E Cycles Challenge XC No. 2
Cross Country Event at Mt.Hood Skibowl
JULY 10th Sun STATE GAMES OF OREGON XC No. 3
presented by MT. TABOR SPORTS
Cross Country Event at Mt.Hood Skibowl
SEPT 11th Sun SCOTTY GRAHAM MEMORIAL SERIES FINALS
Cross Country Event at Mt.Hood Skibowl XC No. 4

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Hmmm, are they actually rebuild the DH course for this year?

I was there last summer and there was only the pro course through the woods, fun, but after a few runs on only that it got a little boring.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Zane, They talked of a new course. With such a bad snow year maybe they will have the time to get one done.

FRK- No norba not required. You do need OBRA, but thats like 15 bucks annual. Check www.obra.org

I don't think they've don a lot with the course...but It's a good course IMO. And like most races, you're only really running one course anyways. The course is definitly better and longer than anything WIM offers, not to mention chairlifts. There are other trails, like the sport course (Gnar Gnar) and firehydrant, that are fun, but not nearly as challenging as the expert course.

I don't beleive you need a NORBA licence. But they are OBRA events, so you may need to buy a $15 OBRA license for the year. Don't know if they offer a day license.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i think i'll just get the annual license. and was that sarcastic about the sport course being "gnar gnar"? idk whether to sign up for expert or sport if the sport course sucks

freeridekid said:
i think i'll just get the annual license. and was that sarcastic about the sport course being "gnar gnar"? idk whether to sign up for expert or sport if the sport course sucks
No sarcasm....the name of the trail the Sport course comes downs is 'Gnar Gnar'. Not really a description, just a name they gave it. It's the trail switchbacking down the main slope to the bottom. Not real technical, but actually pretty fun to race. You gotta really stay on your toes to maintain speed through all the turns and Braaaaap out of the turns.

[edit] Don't know how they run these days, but they used to run the expert/pros down both courses.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
PsychO!1 said:
No sarcasm....the name of the trail the Sport course comes downs is 'Gnar Gnar'. Not really a description, just a name they gave it. It's the trail switchbacking down the main slope to the bottom. Not real technical, but actually pretty fun to race. You gotta really stay on your toes to maintain speed through all the turns and Braaaaap out of the turns.

[edit] Don't know how they run these days, but they used to run the expert/pros down both courses.
alright,thanks. i guess i'll give the sport course a shot at least

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Whoa!!! Your avatar is CRAZY!!! Seroiusly, that thing's crazy.

Anyway, gnar-gnar is just a trail that runs down one of the ski slopes (not too steep, kinda rocky) as opposed to the pro course, which runs through the woods. The pro course is better and more fun to ride IMO but it'd be pretty hard to go fast down some parts of it (for me anyway). I'll probably race sport with a couple friends for the helluvit.

zane said:
Whoa!!! Your avatar is CRAZY!!! Seroiusly, that thing's crazy.

Anyway, gnar-gnar is just a trail that runs down one of the ski slopes (not too steep, kinda rocky) as opposed to the pro course, which runs through the woods. The pro course is better and more fun to ride IMO but it'd be pretty hard to go fast down some parts of it (for me anyway). I'll probably race sport with a couple friends for the helluvit.
I agree...Gnar Gnar is NOT difficult or technical by any means. It would not be my choice to 'ride'. But racing it requires real focus on technique and explosive power. I enjoy racing courses that take 'skill and technique' to go fast, rather than just 'big kahunas' to make it down. The Expert courses running through the woods are relativly steep and techy, I like them too, definitly a good race course that is fun 'ride' too.

???????? I can't recall ever seeing any pics of thre course?? I can tell you they are looooong by todays standards. 2 chairlifts to the top. 5+ minutes for the fast guys. And you get a 2 run format!!! That's a lot of racing!!!

[edit] I actually may have some snap shots from the glory days that show the layout of the terrain, but probably not much detail of the trails. I see what i can find and post.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
PsychO!1 said:
???????? I can't recall ever seeing any pics of thre course?? I can tell you they are looooong by todays standards. 2 chairlifts to the top. 5+ minutes for the fast guys. And you get a 2 run format!!! That's a lot of racing!!!

[edit] I actually may have some snap shots from the glory days that show the layout of the terrain, but probably not much detail of the trails. I see what i can find and post.
I'm pretty sure Kevin has some pictures on his site from the 'glory days' :blah: I took some shots from some of the 2001 races. Lemme look for a link.

All I remember is it's pretty step towards the end, and seeing riders ping pong off the trees. Oh, and it's super hot in the summer.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Snacks said:
I'm pretty sure Kevin has some pictures on his site from the 'glory days' :blah: I took some shots from some of the 2001 races. Lemme look for a link.

All I remember is it's pretty step towards the end, and seeing riders ping pong off the trees. Oh, and it's super hot in the summer.
yeah, but is it 105 degrees like in tri-cities? :D