Quantcast

Ski Bowl races- a few questions

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
Hey I thinking of racing this year and wanted to do the one on June 17/18th but then realized that is Fathers day weekend. How does the race go? Practice on Sat and race Sunday? How much time is involvled on Sunday? I would be racing in the beginner class (over 30 if there is one). Thanks for any help.
Nathan

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
There is a 40+ beginner class, but not 30+...you would end up in beginner open. Oddly enough, I just noticed last years beginner open champion is still racing beginner this year. Isn't there some sort of rule against that?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
In Norba there is, I don't know how closely OBRA tracks that stuff. Just heckle the guy to death. At least he isn't like Steve Larson racing xc expert!:rolleyes:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
The ski bowl races are NORBA.

I couldnt race as expert because i didnt want to spend the 60 bucks for an annual NORBA lic. I was hoping petr could have a non norba Open class that got to still race the expert course.

L

luelling

oats said:
Hey I thinking of racing this year and wanted to do the one on June 17/18th but then realized that is Fathers day weekend. How does the race go? Practice on Sat and race Sunday? How much time is involvled on Sunday? I would be racing in the beginner class (over 30 if there is one). Thanks for any help.
Nathan
There is practice on Sat from either 1-5pm or 12-4 pm (can't remember which) and then there will be 1 hour of practice on Sunday the morning of the race. You would be racing right before expert second run so I think your start time would be around noon. Its one run for beginners, sports, two for exp/sm/pro (typically).

As for the license deal, expert/sm/pro have to have their NORBA license but you can buy a one day OBRA license to race the beginner and sport races.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
Thanks! that is what I was looking for.
Nathan

luelling said:
There is practice on Sat from either 1-5pm or 12-4 pm (can't remember which) and then there will be 1 hour of practice on Sunday the morning of the race. You would be racing right before expert second run so I think your start time would be around noon. Its one run for beginners, sports, two for exp/sm/pro (typically).

As for the license deal, expert/sm/pro have to have their NORBA license but you can buy a one day OBRA license to race the beginner and sport races.

L

luelling

Do I get one of those killer custom bash rings for the correct answer!!??? I just figured people where telling you everything but what you asked.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
Yeah I was just trying to decide if that weekend should be my first race or not. Looks like I will be doing it. Wonder how bad the beginner class will be sandbagged. I may be sandbagging a little, but with it being my first race I figured it would be ok.
Thanks for the compliments on the bashers. I am trying to finalize my 38t and 42t race versions soon. Should be crazy lite and blingy.
Nathan

luelling said:
Do I get one of those killer custom bash rings for the correct answer!!??? I just figured people where telling you everything but what you asked.

L

luelling

I'll have to hunt ya down and check out your bash ring at hood...the pics look killer. I doubt the beginner class will be too bad with sand baggers....I know in the Expert and Semi-Pro ranks we harass the person till they upgrade if they are winning all the time. My friend is going up this weekend to start digging sections of the course out and salting other sections. Its only three weeks away but they are hopeful to have the courses melted/dug out by the race.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
:thumb:
I will be on a black bullit with a white boxxer and of course a gold basher :)
Nathan
luelling said:
I'll have to hunt ya down and check out your bash ring at hood...the pics look killer. I doubt the beginner class will be too bad with sand baggers....I know in the Expert and Semi-Pro ranks we harass the person till they upgrade if they are winning all the time. My friend is going up this weekend to start digging sections of the course out and salting other sections. Its only three weeks away but they are hopeful to have the courses melted/dug out by the race.

L

luelling

Awsome..I'll look for ya. I had contacted you about doing some custom work and I am still interested. My sponsor will be up there racing as well (he owns a shop in PDX) I would like to get our entire team on a set of custom etched bashrings with the shops name.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
That's our specialty. What sizes do you think you will need? I am about to make another run of parts and want to make sure I have enough for you. If you have a graphic or name you want on, let me know and we can work up a .jpg for you to review. Thanks
Nathan
luelling said:
Awsome..I'll look for ya. I had contacted you about doing some custom work and I am still interested. My sponsor will be up there racing as well (he owns a shop in PDX) I would like to get our entire team on a set of custom etched bashrings with the shops name.