Quantcast

SKI IT NAO

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
OK, well shit. After using my original stuff from 1995 off and on for the past 20+ years I may finally suck it up and get new gear. Unless something changes drastically, I’ll be skiing on the east coast. I’d categorize myself as advanced intermediate for such terrain.

I could keep trying my old stuff now, but my boots disintgrated 2 years ago and I’m nervous my skis/bindings may meet the same fate.

Looking at Nordica Sportmachine 110 boots and Blizzard Rustler 9 skis. Good? Terrible? Am I way off base? Any other good options?

TIA!

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, anything modern is going to be a ton better than your 20+ year old stuff.

Boots just need to fit right more than anything. Those look fine if they fit.

I assume you mean the Rustler 9?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Well, anything modern is going to be a ton better than your 20+ year old stuff.

Boots just need to fit right more than anything. Those look fine if they fit.

I assume you mean the Rustler 9?
yeah, that’s kinda what I thought. and yeah, rustler...fixed.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I liked the Blizzard Brahma for a stiff narrow ski. Liked it a lot. That Rustler looks good too. Stoney is on a wider version of those.

Get the boots that fit best. Let's be honest, if they're comfortable day 1 in the store, they're prob too big.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Look at Craigslist. I randomly peruse it around here and Asheville area generally has some kits that were used a season or two and cheap. What would be your budget? I recently saw a fairly new new pair of K2 Apaches with good Technica boots used less than a season for 2 bills...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Rustler looks like it should be pretty versatile, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a dedicated hard snow ski. I haven't skied anywhere on the east coast in like 15 years but I remember it just being icy groomers and icy moguls.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
hey on a slightly different tack. not going the randonee route what XC ski and boot set up would you suggest for back woods exploring on non groomed trails in the Sierrs and Cascades, and yes I can Telemark.
I really don’t know shit about XC ski stuff, but I have a friend (who I used to have a ski Haüs with) who had these sorta fat XC/backcountry hybrid skis with built-in scales on the bottom. Shape and size was more similar to a back country ski, but he had XC bindings and boots in them. For some reason I think they were Voiles? Those seemed way cool for what you want to do i.e. explore in the snow.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
hey on a slightly different tack. not going the randonee route what XC ski and boot set up would you suggest for back woods exploring on non groomed trails in the Sierrs and Cascades, and yes I can Telemark.
@canadmos has some I think,maybe he can chime in, but the Altai Hok seems to have been made for back country exploring.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OK, well shit. After using my original stuff from 1995 off and on for the past 20+ years I may finally suck it up and get new gear. Unless something changes drastically, I’ll be skiing on the east coast. I’d categorize myself as advanced intermediate for such terrain.

I could keep trying my old stuff now, but my boots disintgrated 2 years ago and I’m nervous my skis/bindings may meet the same fate.

Looking at Nordica Sportmachine 110 boots and Blizzard Rustler 9 skis. Good? Terrible? Am I way off base? Any other good options?

TIA!

Spent a day on a set of Blizzard Bonafides. Groomers were a blast at the beginning of the day, weren't so good later in the day when a lot of hard stuff got exposed. Most of the powder was skied out and super bumpy. All was good when I did my job but a bit unforgiving when I fucked up.

As I understand it, the Bonafides are designed more around hard snow than the Ruslter 9s. Haven't been on Rustlers but I think I would go in the other direction for East Coast skiing. For the record I have 99% of my time has been spent on Mid Atlantic hills so inclined ice skating is my area of expertise. Actual skiing is rather new to me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Spent a day on a set of Blizzard Bonafides. Groomers were a blast at the beginning of the day, weren't so good later in the day when a lot of hard stuff got exposed. Most of the powder was skied out and super bumpy. All was good when I did my job but a bit unforgiving when I fucked up.

As I understand it, the Bonafides are designed more around hard snow than the Ruslter 9s. Haven't been on Rustlers but I think I would go in the other direction for East Coast skiing. For the record I have 99% of my time has been spent on Mid Atlantic hills so inclined ice skating is my area of expertise. Actual skiing is rather new to me.
Bonafides are really good, stiff skis and are good in soft snow once you get used to then. (If youd like a pair in 180 or 187, let me know)
Rustlers have a looser tail with more splay and a softer flex.
Brahma > other blizzards on hardpack. Those are way underrated.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Bonafides are really good, stiff skis and are good in soft snow once you get used to then. (If youd like a pair in 180 or 187, let me know)
brahmas are what i’ve been looking at now. will prolly wait for an after season sale...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Bonafides were a friends in 173. I think they are the right size for me. Friend is taller, younger and more aggressive than I am and thinks they are a bit short for him. I am going to try to and buy them from the dude.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Unrelated, but I'm trying to sell a pair of skis (188cm Black Diamond Megawatt Carbons with Dynafit Radical ST 2.0s and BD Glidelite skins, if anybody wants a COMPLETELY different ski than anything we're talking about here :D) and I've had three people go through sending a low-ball offer, and eventually haggling to an agreeable price, only to go "oh wait actually those are too long" after wasting a bunch of my time.

What I'm saying is that I hate people.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I liked the Blizzard Brahma for a stiff narrow ski. Liked it a lot. That Rustler looks good too. Stoney is on a wider version of those.

Get the boots that fit best. Let's be honest, if they're comfortable day 1 in the store, they're prob too big.
I like those skis. Got to ride through some 5" deep powder over the weekend and they just floated.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
If you have any Play It Again Sports stores near you it might be worth it to stop in. I just traded in a bunch of stuff at our local one and they had a shit ton of new and used equipment for anywhere from a 1/4 to 1/2 of what I was seeing new stuff go for.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Another vote for something like the Brahma. I've got Bonafides as my out west travel ski and love them but agree with Westy that they are demanding but kick loads of ass provided you're on it. Picked up some super-on-sale Blizzard Latigos a couple years ago (78mm under foot as opposed to 88 for the Brahmas) for east coast ice sliding and slush slashing and love them for around here. I like that whole Blizzard freeride line of skis quite a bit and think the Brahmas would be fine for here and could easily travel out west if you wanted.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I grew up snowboarding VT. And upstate NY ice...let’s just say that for a long time now, if there isn’t 8” of fresh, I don’t go to the chairlifts (unless I am ripping groomers)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I grew up snowboarding VT. And upstate NY ice...let’s just say that for a long time now, if there isn’t 8” of fresh, I don’t go to the chairlifts (unless I am ripping groomers)
Nah you would get bored after while and rip the bombtrack just like we do....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
anyone ever bought from powder7.com? any other good used/sale ski sites to check?
I bought my Volkl Mantras and my wife's Blizzard Black Pearl 98s through them. They post photos of topsheets and bases and their rated condition was accurate.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

TIA!
We get pro deals on Blizzard skis, so a lot of instucrtors I work with ski them. A buddy has them and loves them for an all ar ound resort ski.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I don't know, but I use the Rossi Soul 7, which is wider and does better in snow than it does on ice, but being an East Coast skier myself, I ski on a lot of ice. My skis do just fine, and I am a shitty skier.
I have some homies that love that ski. I have a pair of S7's I cant wait to try once I get bindings on them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had Soul 7s back in the day, iirc. Those were one soft ski. They would not be my weapon of choice for the East Coast, but if they work for IAB then more power to him.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I had Soul 7s back in the day, iirc. Those were one soft ski. They would not be my weapon of choice for the East Coast, but if they work for IAB then more power to him.
:stupid:

They're really easy to ski, but they're way too soft and don't have anything like enough top end to be a great choice for mostly hard snow usage IMO.