Quantcast

Ski Monkey: opinions/help

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Just picked up a set of second hand skis from goodwill for $30. They are Dynastar Agyl 7. From the brief time I spent researching them, they are supposed to be good for beginners and rated for All mountain and not for powder. I have never skied a day in my life, but have been snowboarding. They are 170 in length, no idea what year, bindings seem to be tightly secured, a bit of surface rust, and some small cosmetic blemishes on the top. The bottom has a few small knicks and will need to be waxed.

They did not come with poles and I didn't see any there so I can't ski it nao. They wont be used all that often here in the desert.

What should else should i look for when inspecting these? What kind of poles should I get besides red ones? Did I get a good deal?

https://m.imgur.com/a/WWvYova

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just picked up a set of second hand skis from goodwill for $30. They are Dynastar Agyl 7. From the brief time I spent researching them, they are supposed to be good for beginners and rated for All mountain and not for powder. I have never skied a day in my life, but have been snowboarding. They are 170 in length, no idea what year, bindings seem to be tightly secured, a bit of surface rust, and some small cosmetic blemishes on the top. The bottom has a few small knicks and will need to be waxed.

They did not come with poles and I didn't see any there so I can't ski it nao. They wont be used all that often here in the desert.

What should else should i look for when inspecting these? What kind of poles should I get besides red ones? Did I get a good deal?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/WWvYova
Just go for it!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It wasnt working anyway. Thanks. About how much should that run?
Depends, places like REI often have a discount for members. Edge sharpeners are relatively inexpensive. I used to have a base-grinder/stone, but I've never seen the compact unit I had offered online.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Don't touch your bases or edges if you don't know what you're doing.

Have a shop figure out What size boot you need, then see if you can jam it into those bindings.

Those bindings are old, make sure they're tested thoroughly so they release when they're supposed to instead of tearing your knees to pieces.

Go fast, pull up..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also, edge sharpening and waxing are like 99% of ski tuning, waxing makes a big difference, even if it's cheap wax (which is why I buy). These can both be done easily at home, use some straps to cinch up the ski brakes, put the skis upside down on a chair with arms or something, sharpen and wax. Buy a cheap iron at the local dept store for the waxing, a base scraper and one of the ski edge sharpening tools.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, edge sharpening and waxing are like 99% of ski tuning, waxing makes a big difference, even if it's cheap wax (which is why I buy). These can both be done easily at home, use some straps to cinch up the ski brakes, put the skis upside down on a chair with arms or something, sharpen and wax. Buy a cheap iron at the local dept store for the waxing, a base scraper and one of the ski edge sharpening tools.
yea, i figured out on my own how to do it for my snowboard back in the late 90's, and that was before youtube

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't touch your bases or edges if you don't know what you're doing.
real response: in general i agree with this, but given how easily tutorials can be found online, its certainly reasonable to teach yourself the basics, especially for a cheap ski to learn on.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Rogue1.jpg
Picked the perfect day to go rogue Skiing in Rochester NY. If there was ever such a thing.

Last edited: