Quantcast

Ski Monkeys...helmet help

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got a Salomon helmet. Nice and cozy. I think that goggle compatibility is pretty important.

Like all things, I guess it will depend on your shape (duh).

I never listen to music while "sporting". I don't know how people do it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Whatever fits good and supports your goggles. I use Smith glasses, goggles and helmets.

Support your local shop!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I just cruise these days, my days of jumping off things are over. Like to listen to some good reggae or Celtic punk while skiing...sometimes a little cool jazz flute...

More worried about the other idiots on the piste. But I guess the goggle compatibility takes precedence over earbuds. I knew that...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a Smith Transport, worn with Smith IO goggles. Fit is perfect, helmet has vents you can open or close, and a BOA system for a snug fit. For what its worth, the helmet works very well with Oakley goggles too. I don't ski with music either, have to be alert to dodge snowboarders!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I have a Smith Transport, worn with Smith IO goggles. Fit is perfect, helmet has vents you can open or close, and a BOA system for a snug fit. For what its worth, the helmet works very well with Oakley goggles too. I don't ski with music either, have to be alert to dodge snowboarders!
This is my second season with that exact helmet but I have yet to ever use the vents. I don't wear a hat underneath unless it's REALLY cold outside.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
As others have said - fit is of primary importance. Most of the goggle "compatibility" issues have been worked out. I have always found Leedom fits my XXL noggin well. Have a Giro helmet which never worked - after about 3 hours I would be ready to throw it in the woods.

I would also discourage music usage while on the slopes. Unless you're skiing all the time where there is nobody else around.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've never worn a hat or anything under my helmet, and ski in temps from low teens up. I do have a fair amount of hair too, so that helps. When it gets up close to freezing I like to crack the vents at times.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I've never worn a hat or anything under my helmet, and ski in temps from low teens up. I do have a fair amount of hair too, so that helps. When it gets up close to freezing I like to crack the vents at times.
A good thing to keep in the pocket of your jacket is a very thin fleece or poly balaclava. Generally will fit under any helmet and good on those days that drop to -10F. :twitch:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have a Smith Variant Brim. The vents work quite well, I do not wear anything under the helmet regardless if it is 35F or 5F outside. I wear glasses, I hate goggles and the brim helps diverting the air flow away from my eyes a little bit. I do not crash but when I do I crash hard and the helmet protected my melon pretty well so far.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
A good thing to keep in the pocket of your jacket is a very thin fleece or poly balaclava. Generally will fit under any helmet and good on those days that drop to -10F. :twitch:
^^That^^

When I was in my teens I used to only wear a backwards baseball hat on my head no matter what temp it was. But now that I'm in my 30s I definitely don't stay as warm when the temp gets low.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a Red, pisspot with a visor style. I know it's a snowboard helmet, but it fit my head so well that I kept coming back to it and eventually bought it. I've been very pleased with it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Smith variant brim +on anon hawkeyes, good fit on both. Nothing sucks worse than that little strip of forehead freezing off.

Mine has zippered headphone pockets.

Fiance has a k2 with built in headphones.

I like some quiet background music when snowboarding.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Is the helmet aware of the board/skis strapped to your feet?
I have a Red, pisspot with a visor style. I know it's a snowboard helmet, but it fit my head so well that I kept coming back to it and eventually bought it. I've been very pleased with it.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Smith Variant brim here, with Smith Recon goggles. Fits very well and has kept my noggin warm as most all the time. Occasionally I'll throw my jacket hood over the helmet if it's really windy, otherwise no complaints. Vents are great, fit is nice, etc.

+1 for NOT skiing/riding with music. Gotta be aware of your surroundings. Low volume and external headphone thingies (as opposed to earbuds that cancel all outside sound) might be acceptable, depending on the amount of people your local hill has.

Nick, I'd like to check out your helmet. I'm thinking after 5 years I might be ready for a new lid.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have been skiing with tunes for quite some time now, all over the world...dont worry about me boys. I dont crank them loud, matter-o-fact I really dont even hear them whilst skiing hard, mainly when simply cruising and on the lifts. But thanks for the concern...back to the helmet subject. I has a big dome...who else has a grande cabesa?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Big dome here, 23.5" drops me well into large/XL territory in many helmets.

Normal shaped head, not pointy or square, Smith fit better than Giro, very nice padding and the boa cinch secures and applies even comfortable pressure.

It's been brought up but do try any helmet with goggles. some that fit great alone may suck with your favorite goggs, pushing onto your nose, keeping them from making a good seal on your face, etc.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I have been skiing with tunes for quite some time now, all over the world...dont worry about me boys. I dont crank them loud, matter-o-fact I really dont even hear them whilst skiing hard, mainly when simply cruising and on the lifts. But thanks for the concern...back to the helmet subject. I has a big dome...who else has a grande cabesa?
Me. XXL Leedom currently. This gives me room for a nice reasonably heavyweight balaclava under. Formerly an XL Leedom which required a really thin balaclava. As I mentioned - XL Giro which just wasn't comfortable after about 3 hours...