Quantcast

ski resorts gunna allow bikes this year ya think?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
not that I care really, as I don't ride downhill. I don't even really ride, period.

seems like they would open it up to bikes though, as a way to get something back from the horrible ski season we have had.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I'd imagine that opening for the summer would take more planning then one could do in the couple of months that winter entails

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
lets hope someone is wiping the crust from their eyes to see the light.....

too bad were having record snow fall and they may be able to open again..... or so the news hinted.....

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I sent an email as well. I pitched an idea at them like this:

Tickets on a season-pass-only basis with a pre-season purchase/quota.

I thought it was worth a shot. They need some sort of commitment. What do ya think?

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
ski resorts are opening/thinking of opening again right now.

i've heard soemthing about snoqualmie opening this year (for biking)?

Pullshocks

Chimp
Mar 2, 2005
When I was at Sun Peaks last fall I rode the lift with their director of marketing. He was willing to tell me a little about the economics of their operation. Electricity to run the lift is $1000 (Canadian, but still a chunk of change) per day, and then there are salaries for lift operators (one at the top, one at the bottom, attendants, etc. They don't make a profit on mountain biking, at least now, but it is part of their overall strategy to build summer business as a destination resort. It is part of their big picture--hotels, restaurants, hiking, golf, etc. I think he mentioned they were spending $100,000 to build new trails for next season

That makes me think that there is no hope for Snoqualmie, since they are in no way a summer operation. They would have to make it on lift tickets. How many do you think they could sell?

But according to a recent article in the Seattle Times, Crystal mountain is building a new hotel and other features for summer operation. It makes me hope they might eventually offer lift access riding as part of an overall strategy like Sun Peaks.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
Someone explain to me how places like snoqualmie and crystal were able to run summer opperations in previous years but recently have not run the lifts in recent summers because of the obvious financial shortcomings. Was it just a trial basis thing in the past? I mean it's quite obvious that there is more demand for lift accessed riding than in years past (both in terms of riding styles and bike technology). I remember riding the lift at crystal some 10 years ago and being one of only about 5 mtbers up there. We were all on more xc/trail oriented bikes, not something you associate as commonplace with lift accessed trails.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
As far as Snoq goes, it was more a way of keeping key people employed year-round.
They were never in it for the money so much, but when they started getting grief from the USFS and DHer's became a whiny bunch they called it good?
In a fragile relationship the one loud whiner drowns out the 50 that were happy with what they had.