Quantcast

Ski Resorts in Western Canada?

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Im coming over to Canada mid Jan to do a year long working holiday.

Basically for the rest of the winter, ill be working in the snowfields
yet i dont really know what ski resort i should go to

ill have a week in Vancouver to decide when i get there
but are there any resorts that are more suited then others?

what im looking for is

- good all round boarding
- party atmosophere
- availability of work
- general good place to be

should i just be looking at the big resorts like whistler or lake louise?
any i should really stay away from?

cheers

happy holidays

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
If you hadn't put "party atmosphere" I would have said any other resort. This is THE party resort in western Canada. The rest are more adult oriented. We also used to get good powder, but this year BLOWS....always work, tough to find a place to live. I would recommend sending resumes to big hotels and try and get into staff accomodation to start. We also have the best bike park, so if you are here a year, you will have the summer.

Yeah I keep rereading what you write and whistler suits more than most. Besides, you will fit right in, little australia here ;)

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I dont know anything really about good ski resorts, I dont ski, but other than Whistler there is another one in Golden, B.C. - Kicking Horse I believe it is called. They have mt. biking in summer.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
for the summer i plan to be staying in Vancouver to grab the array of riding there

i guess whistler seems like the place for the great boarding n good night life
now to finding a job there when i arrive

should be fun no matter where i go hopefully

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
RaID said:
now to finding a job there when i arrive
I would check out the hotels first. I don't know for sure, but I imagine they would pay the best (depending, of course, on what you specific job is). Also, this would be a little harder to get, but check out some restaurants, too.

If you ride well, you could probably get a job as a bike guide. You wouldn't believe how many Australians are doing that.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Roasted said:
Wow you still think that even though we had the worst snow in 20 years? Thats impressive
Yea the snow wasn't bad back at Harmony or Emerald. Plus, i got to ski the powder for 3 days so that makes up for it.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Haha...must be perspective. Talk to any locals and this is about the worst it has ever been :)

Glad you had a good time, I am still working on getting binding/ski to fit my boot so I can at least do something this year.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Roasted said:
Raid,
What are of work do you typically work in.
well i just finished a uni degree as a Mechatronic Engineer
and the part time work that ive been doing is computers
everything from packing them into boxes to customer service
and warranty support

everyone ive spoken to here that has done this sort of trip
has been pretty much saying that it should be a piece of cake
to hook up any hospitality job, so thats pretty much what ill
be looking for,
just enough money to survive, im not really fussy what ill do anyway
as long as i can board a full 2 days a week ill be happy

hmmmm that bike guide job in the summer sounds tops, ill definately have to try for one of those

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Yeah, a bike guide job would be awesome. You'll see when you get there, of course, but for now, maybe Roasted knows a bit more about it?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
It will be easy to find work (although 4 seasons is suffering big time so they are pretty much useless). Work and a place to stay might be tough. I was asking the skillset because big companies like to underpay people with smarts ;)...I would take a look for companies with staff housing. Intrawest itself, Westin has a good staff accom, whistler lodging company etc. Jan is a tougher time here (to find a place to stay) but generally as long as you are willing to suffer a bit (crap beer and cheap food with multi person orgy style lodging) you should be fine.

Bike guide is great. (well being a local is too) but you will learn all the secret trails most people don't know about.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Tully said:
That's not a surprise :). I have heard of at least one in Alabama, though. Do you know anything about it/them?
No clue. I know theres a tiny one in Springfield, Missouri and maybe some in TN but none in Alabama to my knowledge.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
It turns out there's exactly one--called Cloudmont--with two 1000-foot-long runs, a whopping 150 vertical feet, and (mostly) artificial snow.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Tully said:
It turns out there's exactly one--called Cloudmont--with two 1000-foot-long runs, a whopping 150 vertical feet, and (mostly) artificial snow.
Dayum. Time for a roadtrip.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Tully said:
By the way, what's a mechatronic engineer?
a mix between mechanical and electronic engineering
ie
pretty much designing anything mechanical that is computer controlled
its however more mechnically inclined then on the electronic side
the electronics i have to deal with is very simple
whereas i should be able to do much more complex mechanical analysis