Quantcast

Skills camp for local riders?

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
I am thinking of putting together another skills camp for local riders. Before I do I would love some input on what type of camps or classes would be helpful. I have a few ideas that I would like to do:
1. Intermediate to advanced clinic
2. All womans clinic
3. Kids clinic (ages 10 to 16)
These all would be freeride oriented camps since that is mostly the type of riding alot of people are doing and may need some help with.

I did one last year and except for the weather, it went off great! Since then, I have been asked if I was going to do another one and I think this time of year would be great. Let me know if anyone would be interested and what type of stuff you would want to work on.

Thanks!
Kim Eakin

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
girlwhoboards said:
how much would you be chargin? it's a great idea and i'd like to see one on bike maintenance too :). if you do the one on kids talk to kat with trips for kids as she does this sort of thing too.
It hasn't been worked out just yet. I would guess $50 for a three hour session. I will keep the amount of people low so everyone gets time to work on these skills and dial them before moving on plus it will allow good one on one instruction.

I was told by someone who took the Whistler womens camp that they would talk about something and they would have the girls try it but then they would move on not giving them time to work on that skill and master it. I will be doing things a bit different. We will work on a skill and make sure every one is getting it!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
1,2,3 would be great. I would like the Intermediate to advanced clinic myself.
I also will commit my time right now to 2 and 3 just say when & where. The only thing you missed is an old guy clinic :think: :evil:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
There's been a lot of talk elsewhere in the local mtb community about this sort of thing. What people "expect" for their 50 bones, etc. Whether you can even legally charge for such an event without the landowner's permission, what level of ability it's geared to, etc.
It's something that people are definately looking for. The West Coast School of Mountain Biking video is pretty good and I had a showing at the house a week or so back after a skills evening with the ladies and they all seemed to really like it. (Kim, Kat and Carmie were there too.)
Yes, wheelie drops vs manuals discussion is huge. Probably the number one skill request. When to do one and not the other and "just how to..."
Then adding the length of drop to the picture.
Skinnies and balance exercises seems to be the next request.

This sounds more like an air clinic though?

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
How about learning to do tricks off of jumps, ie one footers, one handers, no footers, no handers, table tops.

How about a private lesson or maybe just three riders max?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
"Public" lessons for that type of stuff would make most lawyers cringe nowadays. Private lessons would make more sense. And, access to a foam pit.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Borneo said:
"Public" lessons for that type of stuff would make most lawyers cringe nowadays. Private lessons would make more sense. And, access to a foam pit.
Hey, thanks for fielding all these for me. I also want to say thanks for the legal advice. Without you on this board I don't think we would know the correct ways to do things.

Gotta go, leaving for Whistler.