Quantcast

Skimonkey pictures? Skimonkey pictures!

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Unlike CO, our lift access skiing shuts down in early April.

But here's some backcountry pron of the next range over from the Bridgers -- the Crazy's north of Livingston/Absarokas -- via TGR:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
A4DB8FD2-1DE5-4C9E-80B6-F12B274797CD.jpeg

Sitting at about 13,200’ having a sammich looking down valley on Salida, with still a grand to go to reach the top. Big day. Didn’t suck. Skiing is hard.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Skied my second 14er this year. Looking up towards the summit from the SE on our way up. Dead Dog couloir is the prominent feature here, starting off the looker's right side of the peak and running to the cirque floor. We watched two groups of two skiers climb and descend this couloir on our way up...

The Mayor bootpacking it into the cirque below Grays Peak (out of frame to the left) and Torreys Peak. At this point the snow was still firm enough to walk on without skinning, though looking back we wonder if throwing the skins on would have made for a faster approach. We'd see three point release wet slides (!) come off the rock bands to the left of the peak on our way up, about an hour or so after we saw the skiers in Dead Dog...

In the wide open cirque below both peaks, we did finally need to throw the skins on as the snow was getting soft and we were punching through bootpacking. This picture was taken on the apron below Grays Peak, looking north at Torreys...

Nearly to the saddle...

Once we gained the saddle between the two peaks, the climbing got steeper and more wind-swept, leaving the skins on would have had us too close to the cornice overhanging the cirque, so we booted up dry, rocky, safe terrain to gain the summit...

Me, arriving at the summit of Torreys, with Grays Peak in the background...

The crew at 14,267' on the summit of the 11th highest peak in Colorado. L-R is me, The Mayor, and The Mayor's Son...

And now, it's time to ski! The Mayor, mayoring. At 68 years old this past December, this dude is an inspiration. I am humbled and grateful to call him a friend...

How was the snow? So, so good. Pretty perfect spring corn, IMNSHO. You could throw a turn wherever and whenever you wanted on the wide-open face. Humping a fairly heavy (by alpine touring standards) pair of sticks to the top didn't hurt none, either...

Ten hours and ten miles later, all smiles and safely back at the truck...

Looking back on where we stood just a few hours earlier...

*All images courtesy The Mayor's Son https://www.instagram.com/khall104/

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Skied my second 14er this year. Looking up towards the summit from the SE on our way up. Dead Dog couloir is the prominent feature here, starting off the looker's right side of the peak and running to the cirque floor. We watched two groups of two skiers climb and descend this couloir on our way up...

The Mayor bootpacking it into the cirque below Grays Peak (out of frame to the left) and Torreys Peak. At this point the snow was still firm enough to walk on without skinning, though looking back we wonder if throwing the skins on would have made for a faster approach. We'd see three point release wet slides (!) come off the rock bands to the left of the peak on our way up, about an hour or so after we saw the skiers in Dead Dog...

In the wide open cirque below both peaks, we did finally need to throw the skins on as the snow was getting soft and we were punching through bootpacking. This picture was taken on the apron below Grays Peak, looking north at Torreys...

Me, arriving at the summit of Torreys, with Grays Peak in the background. Once we gained the saddle between the two peaks, the climbing got steeper and more wind-swept, leaving the skins on would have had us too close to the cornice overhanging the cirque, so we booted up dry, rocky, safe terrain to gain the summit...

The crew at 14,267' on the summit of the 11th highest peak in Colorado. L-R me, The Mayor, Son of the Mayor...

And now, it's time to ski! The Mayor, mayoring. At 68 years old this past December, this dude is an inspiration. I am humbled and grateful to call him a friend...

How was the snow? So, so good. Pretty perfect spring corn, IMNSHO. You could throw a turn wherever and whenever you wanted on the wide-open face. Humping a fairly heavy (by alpine touring standards) pair of sticks to the top didn't hurt none, either...

Ten hours and ten miles later, all smiles and safely back at the truck...

Looking back on where we stood just a few hours earlier...

wait. 10 hours for one run?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
wait. 10 hours for one run?
Still better than sitting on a trainer for an hour.

But yeah... long day. I think we climbed nearly 5k vert? We also did some lost-getting on the bushwack out that cost us more time than expected. And The Mayor broke a rib this winter and had to take a couple months off of skiing... so he was a bit slower than expected on the climb up. Like, maybe 10% slower? But on a day like this, that's an extra hour.

Also, it was easily one of the top 5 runs of the year, out of the 51 days I have skied so far.

Also also, it was technically 9 hours to climb and summit a 14er with an hour of skiing thrown in the middle. :D

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still better than sitting on a trainer for an hour.

But yeah... long day. I think we climbed nearly 5k vert? We also did some lost-getting on the bushwack out that cost us more time than expected. And The Mayor broke a rib this winter and had to take a couple months off of skiing... so he was a bit slower than expected on the climb up. Like, maybe 10% slower? But on a day like this, that's an extra hour.

Also, it was easily one of the top 5 runs of the year, out of the 51 days I skied.
:iseewhatyoudidthere:

and an hour on the trainer is still better than an hour not exercising.

plus going is slow once you're up above 10k.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
:iseewhatyoudidthere:
:D

and an hour on the trainer is still better than an hour not exercising.
True Fact™

I am not a fast person going up a hill. There are definitely folks that can climb and ski Torreys in two-thirds the time... but to your point my philosophy is always: it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to the top, you're lapping every MFer who's sitting on the couch.

plus going is slow once you're up above 10k.
Boy, you ain't kidding there. I'm usually good(ish) to about 12k or a few hundred higher, then I start slowing WAY the fuck down. I spend a fair bit of time at elevation, but still. Woof.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

True Fact™

I am not a fast person going up a hill. There are definitely folks that can climb and ski Torreys in two-thirds the time... but to your point my philosophy is always: it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to the top, you're lapping every MFer who's sitting on the couch.

Boy, you ain't kidding there. I'm usually good(ish) to about 12k or a few hundred higher, then I start slowing WAY the fuck down. I spend a fair bit of time at elevation, but still. Woof.
being in the mountains > not being in the mountains

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
10 hours is probably about the same as travelling to/from NYC to Mountain Creek and doing one run on a "powder" day.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

True Fact™
Not sure that's true. Although... having never *been* on a trainer... perhaps it is? I shall reserve judgement. :D

Oddly, I always seem to feel better once I get up around 12.5K-13K. Then again, maybe it's because people around are slowing WAY the fuck down around then.

being in the mountains > not being in the mountains
True Fact™

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I still have a couple of those things leftover from that box you gave me. Emergency rations. Readily available in the hip-belt pocket of my Osprey. Oh - and thanks again. I'm fairly certain those saved from an ugly death.
I have been trying to figure out what I will be hauling food-wise for long/high country rides this summer, because I can't have those things.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have been trying to figure out what I will be hauling food-wise for long/high country rides this summer, because I can't have those things.
Can you eat avocados, or do they have too many carbs? Thinking something like that (high in good fatty deliciousness) coupled with something like beef jerky (protein rich yeah?) might be an option as a starting point...