Quantcast

Skinny Tires and Spandex

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ya know you love them... anyone going to do the Chilly Hilly road ride around Bainbridge Island on Sunday the 27th? I ran into a friend of mine who is so I signed up too... any one here interested? Its about 31 miles and has only 2600 feet of gain - just a lot of small hills that make an excellent cardio workout for mountian biking.

Oh... if you are worried about not looking like man then you are not a man yet. :blah:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Serial Midget said:
Ya know you love them... anyone going to do the Chilly Hilly road ride around Bainbridge Island on Sunday the 27th? I ran into a friend of mine who is so I signed up too... any one here interested? Its about 31 miles and has only 2600 feet of gain - just a lot of small hills that make an excellent cardio workout for mountian biking.

Oh... if you are worried about not looking like man then you are not a man yet. :blah:
Sorry, doing the Valentine's Day Challenge that day....what I wouldn't give to see ya in spandex :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
PsychO!1 said:
Me too!!!!

The PsychO!'s will be there represent'n the SS!!!
Cool! Maybe we'll see you there :) Kevin is even doing the race

SM: Not sure why the date for the race is so far from the holiday....it's part of a new West Side series. You should look at doing some of the races.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I did Chilly Hilly a couple years ago. It's fun, but be very alert for the first five miles. I don't remember seeing that many wrecks in so little time.:eek:
Yeah... its funny how wannabe racers pick events like this to show off their mad pedal skills but only end up dropping chains and clipping a tires. Save the racing for the races... :thumb:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Serial Midget said:
Yeah... its funny how wannabe racers pick events like this to show off their mad pedal skills but only end up dropping chains and clipping a tires. Save the racing for the races... :thumb:
Even funnier is when you get to a climb on your steel road bike and you pass all these peeps on their titanium road bike w/ the lightest high-end componentry - while they're WALKING their bike up the hill. :think:

Even funnier is the fact that there was a guy on a unicycle that finished well ahead of alot of those folks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Even funnier is when you get to a climb on your steel road bike and you pass all these peeps on their titanium road bike w/ the lightest high-end componentry - while they're WALKING their bike up the hill. :think:

Even funnier is the fact that there was a guy on a unicycle that finished well ahead of alot of those folks.
Haha this "chilly hilly" sounds funny..... :think: :sneaky:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Skookum said:
Haha this "chilly hilly" sounds funny..... :think: :sneaky:
It very much is. It's a good ride from the socializing standpoint and that you get all kinds of free snacks, etc. along the way.
I learned alot that day. Like the Chilly Hilly, STP, etc. are not the kind of ride(s) for me. Not yet. I still prefer riding w/ people I'm comfy with in a group as opposed to a couple/few thousand of people that are pretending to be Lance Armstrong or Eddy Merckx (I usually pretend I'm Merckx, FYI).

I've got it!!! If I ever do one of those rides again, it will be on a 26" wheel bike w/ big, phatty knobbies on it and at least 5" of travel. This way, I can prove to these people that mtn. bikers are people, too...and likely better people at that.
:dancing:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I've got it!!! If I ever do one of those rides again, it will be on a 26" wheel bike w/ big, phatty knobbies on it and at least 5" of travel. This way, I can prove to these people that mtn. bikers are people, too...and likely better people at that.
:dancing:
Well at least you'll have an excuse for getting dropped... :blah:

Anyhow all the bad vibes I hear between mountain bikers and road bikers seems to be one sided. I've never heard a roadie talk smack about a mountain biker so it must be your paranoid imagination or something because the only difference I can see is how slow the mountain bikers are. Oh, and their crappy steel bikes with components that are sometimes 5 years old or more. :blah:

Anyhow if you want to do some hill grinding - give me a buzz, I ride a 15 year old steel frame and might just give you a run for your money...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Serial Midget said:
Anyhow all the bad vibes I hear between mountain bikers and road bikers seems to be one sided. I've never heard a roadie talk smack about a mountain biker so it must be your paranoid imagination or something because the only difference I can see is how slow the mountain bikers are.
Have you ever raced XC? It's a bunch of roadies with zero bike handling skills amped up on Goo and Power Shots :help: Hahaha J/K SM.....I just wanna see you in the spandex :drool: Yummy!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Serial Midget said:
Well at least you'll have an excuse for getting dropped... :blah:

Anyhow all the bad vibes I hear between mountain bikers and road bikers seems to be one sided. I've never heard a roadie talk smack about a mountain biker so it must be your paranoid imagination or something because the only difference I can see is how slow the mountain bikers are. Oh, and their crappy steel bikes with components that are sometimes 5 years old or more. :blah:

Anyhow if you want to do some hill grinding - give me a buzz, I ride a 15 year old steel frame and might just give you a run for your money...
Hahaha - sweet!
Actually, there's no true rift between the "classes". As with anything it boils down to the one-percenters. Every group has them.

I was just thinking earlier today on how diverse my riding styles are. I can put down a century on my road bike one day and the next day finds me hitting jumps and drops. Now I just need a style in between and I'm set.
Wait...what am I saying? I'm ALREADY set. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Snacks said:
Have you ever raced XC? It's a bunch of roadies with zero bike handling skills amped up on Goo and Power Shots :help: Hahaha J/K SM.....I just wanna see you in the spandex :drool: Yummy!
No. Dirt scares the crap out of me and thats a :nope: in spandex. :sneaky:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
mtnmatt said:
I love it when a guy with a set of Hookworms on his mountain bike blows by the skinney tired spandex boys on the hills. Big bikes rule!!!
I'd love it too if I ever saw it... I've heard stories but I've never actually seen it and I have participated in many, many events with guys on mountain bikes.

So perhaps its up to you to put the smack down and show me how to climb hills. :oink:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
I'd love it too if I ever saw it... I've heard stories but I've never actually seen it and I have participated in many, many events with guys on mountain bikes.

So perhaps its up to you to put the smack down and show me how to climb hills. :oink:
Anyone who enjoys climbing up Corral Pass more than descending Ranger Creek has got to have a few screws loose and is not to be trifled with on a hill climb. :sneaky:

i've been seeing waaaaay too much of Bainbridge every morning lately(ferry terminal), i've been working at Bangor Naval base, the Olympics were beautiful earlier in the week when there was snow. Reminds me Midge we gotta hit Dungeness/Gold Creek, it's a great trail.....

mtnmatt

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
Wenatchee, WA
A friend of mine rode STP a couple of years ago on a Specialized Enduro with Hookworms, and did it in one day. Although he's an animal of epic proportion. I prefer to stay off roads, a bad encounter with a Kenworth will do that.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
mtnmatt said:
A friend of mine rode STP a couple of years ago on a Specialized Enduro with Hookworms, and did it in one day. Although he's an animal of epic proportion. I prefer to stay off roads, a bad encounter with a Kenworth will do that.
No matter how tough you think you are you simply can never win a fight against a Kenworth.....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Skookum said:
Reminds me Midge we gotta hit Dungeness/Gold Creek, it's a great trail.....
Yes - we gotta... I have 2 three day weekends a month and have really been enjoying the new bike, I think you'll be surprised at the improvement I've made. :D

I did the trails around Montesano today and did a few root drops and other stuff that I'd never been able to do before. :D

Fox Forx are really groovy that way.

...and I am thinking of doing the Hilly Chilly on my Giant XTC, with the fast freds it only weighs 22 lbs and I can be the one who blows past the old roadies on 25 LB steel bikes with double ring cranks. Oh - the bragging I could do. :oink:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
Yes - we gotta... I have 2 three day weekends a month and have really been enjoying the new bike, I think you'll be surprised at the improvement I've made. :D
Sweet our paths will have to cross soon for sure. :dancing:

Serial Midget said:
Fox Forx are really groovy that way.
Yes they are soooo very nice. :D it really makes a big difference having a frame that fits you correctly and a fork that's not a noodle. :thumb:

mtnmatt said:
I keep hearing about Corral Pass, I'd head west and give it a go - if I knew where it was!
Corral Pass is up forest road 7174 just down the road from Crystal on 410. From there you get on Dalles Ridge trail that takes you to Noble Nob which is a cool look out, then you can descend either 3 trails.... Deep Creek is a brake burning steep rager, it's a blast. Ranger Creek is a longish sweeping trail you never really have to pedal and it's just technical enough to keep you honest on the blind corners. Palisaides is a longer epic route that provides plenty of technical kick and even more view spots to chill and enjoy the day.

i can't wait, i try to do all three trails at least once each a year.